Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited by Moderator)
When manufacturers begin producing real "electric turbo's" theory would be that if you got one and threw it on an FJ -TJ or any other J with just a slight boost and a fan speed that was in line with rpm. Would the ECM be able to automatically compensate assuming the fuel rail were able to keep up?

I could see that you would have to monitor the RPM (easy) and chart out a fan speed calculation with a taper at full throttle and idol. The sweet spot would be HWY cruise rpm of 1500 to 3000 rpm. That should leave plenty of headroom for timing, fuel rail and injectors to keep up.?.? Am i over simplifying it?

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ok, I see 6 mounted on the roof rack connected to the snorkel, 140 here I come... Fun with gas.

Edit- Beat me to it Basil.

·
Registered
3,283 Posts
I vote not a chance for a electric turbo....Your average turbo is spinning at about 30,000 rpm and moving a ton of air, You cannot find an electric motor with enough power or speed to compress enough air to create a drop of boost never mind 5-10 pounds....

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yea, there are a few in one-off production prototypes that have them. I suspect that it will be sooner rather than later that they make it to the market. I knew there would be a huge amount of air, but I didn't realize that there was that much air to get actual pressure. Granted the leaf blowers were likely stalling out from the back pressure as they are designed for wind speed with little or no pressure. 700 cfm is a lot to pressurize but with the proper blades and a endless supply of 12v, the brushless motors start to stand a chance. 9501 - Castle Mamba XL2 Brushless Motor 780KV + 34V ESC

It wouldn't be a back yard kind of thing, but the theory is there...

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
Errrm, its called a MAF sensor. More air, more fuel. Simple as that.

·
Premium Member
3,409 Posts
My buddy has been doing this for years. Pretty sure it's a back-burner thing now. You can get a theoretical 1600cfm with their system.

It, um, draws 124 amps.

·
Premium Member
4,077 Posts
My buddy has been doing this for years. Pretty sure it's a back-burner thing now. You can get a theoretical 1600cfm with their system.

It, um, draws 124 amps.
So parasitic load for 124 amps at 12 Vdc is around 2 HP.

Wonder what kind of HP gain that would give to the engine?

·
Premium Member
3,412 Posts
leave it to a bunch of Americans to screw up a perfect Japanese motor.. If it could be done correctly I can assure you URD racing wouldn't have spent $$$$$$$ to make an awesome supercharger for our FJ

1 - 11 of 11 Posts