Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
3,088 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well first off I have to say that I have never been more in love with a vehicle that I am this FJ. I bought it mainly as a ghost town hunting vehicle and to pull my equipment trailer when doing location photo shoots. I think it will work out perfectly!

I've started purchasing some of the basics. So far:

Cobra CB
Yaesu 2 meter radio
GPS
Hi Lift with mounts
Beginning of the recovery kit: bag, straps, shackles, folding shovel and a come along.

So what did you spend your money on right after getting your FJ?

·
Registered
671 Posts
Tires. They are probably the one thing that adds the most to the off-road performance. I went with BFG All-terrains in the stock size and I love them. At some point I'll trade up to a set of 285s but for now these suit me just fine. It's money well spent if you are looking to upgrade your rig.

·
Registered
50 Posts
As a newbie too, my very first purchase was an ARB half rack since we chose one without a factory rack. Honestly however I think my first purchase should have been tires. The Dunlop that come on it aren't too terribly exciting and our aggrigate, snow covered driveway is steep.

·
Registered
4,824 Posts
Headlights (Silverstars first and now Philips Extreme).... K&N drop in....wiper upgrade....passenger seat armrest.....levelled and sliders.

Upgrade tires as needed. As much as we all bad mouth the Dunflops they serve their purpose..... Just not for long. I didn't get 32K out of them.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Tires SHOULD have been my first upgrade. I went stock size Goodyear Wrangler Silent Armors, after being embarassed in the snow with the originals, and am very content with them. The rear diff snorkel mod and changing the gear oil to synthetic was actually where I spent time and money first. Getting your recovery gear together seems like a smart way to start, I put together those essentials also and added a fire extinguisher and a Lifehammer.

·
Premium Member
2,797 Posts
Agreed, tires should have been my first expendature as well. However I went straight after an in-dash DVD Nav head unit. This worked out well for me, though, because then I could get it to direct me to the closest tire shop.:lol:

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
CAI - TRD
Sliders - Alpro
Tires - Firestone A/T
Lift - Icon Stage One
UCA's - Icon as I couldn't align
Front bumper - Aluminess
CB - Cheapo Cobra
Rack - Gobi Stealth
Skids - Budbuilt Stainless
Tires + rims = Hankook Muds + TRD 16"

The list goes on. I've highlighted the most important for either protecting your investment and making it more capable. Your choice of tires should be made because of what you do not just on looks. Now that I live in the midwest I needed mud tires to avoid body damage and maintain control.

·
Registered
560 Posts
3M hood protector
Passenger arm rest
Compustar remote start
Daystar lift and level kit
Cooper Discoverer STT 285/70/17
DeMello Hybrid sliders

Bought my FJ new and had the dealer throw in the passenger arm rest, 3M hood protector, and compustar remote start. By 200 miles on the odometer it had the lift and tires, then by 800 miles the sliders. Just broke the 1000 mile mark today.

·
Registered
322 Posts
My very first thing was Fjoels shifter knobs. Got the flying WV logo on the MT shifter knob. Kicked tires back and fourth, but figured I'd just run the stock ones til August or so.

·
Registered
3,087 Posts
Wheels and tires first! The beauty of it is that you can sell your stock ones. Go ahead and pay to have the wheels and tires separated for three reasons: 1-You'll want the TPMS sensors. 2- You can get more money for the tires without the wheels since it's a standard size for a lot of trucks. 3- It's much easier and cheaper to ship wheels by themselves it you sell to someone nowhere near you. Heck, my stock tires with 32k miles on them still went for $250 (though they still had great tread on them)

·
Registered
3,087 Posts
DoWork- I guess it depends on what you're doing... I'm mostly in deep sticky red mud and the stock tires were wholly inadequate. The moral is to have an idea what you want to do with your FJ and then tailor your mods around that goal.

·
Registered
3,088 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Tires were on the list and then I had to look at what I really would be doing with the FJ. Mainly dirt or crushed gravel roads in the desert. Not a lot of obstacle climbing, so I believe the stock tires would be ok. Maybe not the best, but serviceable for what I'll be doing.

I think a light bar or additional lights of some kind will be driving lights will be next.

·
Premium Member
1,305 Posts
I have a 2010 TT ed, so tires and shocks were fine.

I bought Ricochet skids and Bajarack roof basket as first purchases - both help when going off road to camp.

Then I purchased PIAA 520 fogs to help illuminate the way, as well as PIAA headlight replacements.

Next up:

Hi-Lift, DO mounts and Rotopax fuel cans and a CB for the summit in July...

:cheers:

·
Wanderlust
4,158 Posts
Tires were on the list and then I had to look at what I really would be doing with the FJ. Mainly dirt or crushed gravel roads in the desert. Not a lot of obstacle climbing, so I believe the stock tires would be ok. Maybe not the best, but serviceable for what I'll be doing.

I think a light bar or additional lights of some kind will be driving lights will be next.
The factory tires are OK but keep in mind that they're still passenger tires and are more prone to punctures and cuts, especially when aired down for a smoother ride on dirt and gravel roads (compared to off road tires with stronger sidewalls and stiifer ride). If you stay with the factory tires, make sure to have a good tire repair kit and an air compressor or some other method to air up the tires. Unless you're planning to do a lot of night runs or getting to your camp site very late in the evening, IMHO, additional lights should be lower on your mod list and should be after getting the essential recovery gear.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Mine came with the BFG All-Terrains, so I haven't gone for tires yet. I would eventually like to put some MT tires on it, but can't justify the purchase yet.

My first purchase was sliders and I am extremely glad I did. Went on my first trail ride to Coal Creek with 3k on the odometer. Without the sliders, I would probably have had some very noticeable body damage. A lot of guys don't seem too adverse to body damage,:lol: but until I get a few more years and miles on mine, I am. Ironically, I survived Coal Creek's boulders and trees with no damage at all only to have the drunken idiot in the Kroger parking lot put two dents and a big scratch in my door.

Next up will probably be a 3" lift and some skid plates for me.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts