Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
883 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just trying to get the general consensus of the typical FJ Cruiser owner.

(1) Do you plan to take it off-road at all?

(2) If so, what type of terrain?

(3) Do you plan to modify it to be more off-road capable?

(4) What type of off-roading have you done in the past and with what types of vehicles?

(5) Do you currently have a dedicate trail vehicle?

(6) What major off-road areas have you frequented? (example: Moab, Tellico Rubicon)

·
Premium Member
8,355 Posts
TACOZILLA said:

(4) What type of off-roading have you done in the past and with what types of vehicles?

(6) What major off-road areas have you frequented? (example: Moab, Tellico Rubicon)

1) yes
2) trails in New England, a road trip or two including Moab, the beach in MA. getting to my mtn biking/kayaking destinations
3)no
4) my Land Rover....on the beach and in the woods of NH
5) mtn biked in Moab :)

·
Registered
233 Posts
(1) Do you plan to take it off-road at all?- Yes, for work visiting natural gas well sites in WV

(2) If so, what type of terrain? mud, rocks, hills, snow

(3) Do you plan to modify it to be more off-road capable?- no

(4) What type of off-roading have you done in the past and with what types of vehicles?- currently own an Element, thus the need for the FJ, owned a Jeep CJ-7 in the past

(5) Do you currently have a dedicate trail vehicle?- no

(6) What major off-road areas have you frequented? (example: Moab, Tellico Rubicon)- never done it [/QUOTE]

·
Registered
449 Posts
Slab said:
(1) Do you plan to take it off-road at all?- Yes

(2) If so, what type of terrain? rocks, hills, snow

(3) Do you plan to modify it to be more off-road capable?- no

(4) What type of off-roading have you done in the past and with what types of vehicles?- None

(5) Do you currently have a dedicate trail vehicle?- no

(6) What major off-road areas have you frequented? (example: Moab, Tellico Rubicon)- never done it
[/QUOTE]

·
Registered
181 Posts
TACOZILLA said:

1. yes

2. Pennsylvania mountains type terrain. Couple of times a year on the beach too. Oh and many days will be spent on construction sites during the land development stage.

3. I will lightly modify it. i.e. conservative lift, bigger and better tires, skids, sliders.

4. Same as #2 with jeeps and landcruisers.

5. No. I wish I had the room and money for about four different vehicles.

6. Paragon. I also hope to try Raulsh Creek (sp?)

·
Registered
2,874 Posts
(1) Do you plan to take it off-road at all? Ohhh yeah. There's a complete wash system out here in the desert that I plan on exploring with some jeep guys I know. Then there's redrock canyon, blue diamond, the entirety of the Sheep Range, Utah, Colorado, Wyoming.... I'm not into rock-busting, just getting as far away from other humans as possible. Pass Creek - Elk Mountain, Wyoming. Wood's Landing. Above Horsetooth in Fort Collins... Mount Desert Island, Maine... What's that about 160,000 miles - I let you know when I get past that.

(2) If so, what type of terrain? Moderately rough jeep offroad trails. Mountain logging roads, dry river basins and washes, "skidda" (best said with a new england accent) trails I'm not into the rockcrawling.

(3) Do you plan to modify it to be more off-road capable? Possibly supercharger, snorkel, headers, exhaust, slight lift, ARB front end or some custom job - I bet a road armor setup would look SICK!

(4) What type of off-roading have you done in the past and with what types of vehicles? minor military stuff in hummers and 5-tons and all kinds of things that you aren't supposed to do with hatchbacks - think Dakar Rally - now picture a stock Cavalier, HA!

(5) Do you currently have a dedicate trail vehicle? I do, but it's dedicated residence is in my garage, unregistered, ready to be SOLD. Want a bronco?

(6) What major off-road areas have you frequented? (example: Moab, Tellico Rubicon) NONE. I went to Moab once and the atmosphere of the town was the most frightening thing I have ever experienced. Strangest vibe of any place I have ever been.

·
Registered
883 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Good Times said:
shannon, are you plannin to get one for yourself?
I am thinking about getting one to replace one of my daily drivers, the 97 Jeep Cherokee...I also have a 97 Ford F-350 4x4 that I use as a daily driver and also serves as a tow rig to haul TACOZILLA from event to event. If I did get a FJ however I would more than likely modify it after the new has worn off of it. By modify I mean the IFS would go bye bye! :D

·
Registered
963 Posts
(1) Do you plan to take it off-road at all? Si Senior!

(2) If so, what type of terrain? Mostly Forest Service and Logging roads and trails

(3) Do you plan to modify it to be more off-road capable? Mostly just brush guards, maybe a winch and suspension and wheels and tires.

(4) What type of off-roading have you done in the past and with what types of vehicles? Desert stuff in Arizona. I had a 1969 International-Harvester Scout 800 V8. We also had some VW rails. And up the aforementioned Forest Service and Logging roads.

(5) Do you currently have a dedicate trail vehicle? No

(6) What major off-road areas have you frequented? (example: Moab, Tellico Rubicon) None.

- LC

·
Registered
2,057 Posts
let's see,...stoneridge mall, hillside, towne centre, stanford shopping centre oh yes, and the oak leaf......

·
Registered
883 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
I guess I should answer my own little survey here! :)

Yes, it will be very conservative at first though until the new wears off!

I'm into the whole rock crawlin scene so that is what I would use the FJ for as well.

Most definitely. Eventually would have a solid front axle with 3 linked suspension in front, locked front and rear, lower gearing, some type of crawl box (Marlin, Inchworm, etc..) and probablly somewhere around a 35" tire. Wouldn't want to go too big with it as that is what the Taco is for!

I've wheeled my Taco for the last 11 years and have done mostly rock crawlin with it. There has been a mud bog or two on occasions but I try to stay out of the mud as much as possible.

Yep, aka TACOZILLA!

Moab, Tellico, Rubicon, Las Cruces, Farmington, Paragon, Hot Springs, Clayton, Del Rio and many places here in Texas that you've probablly never even heard of! :)

·
Registered
124 Posts
1.------Ya!---every chance I get. anything remotely resemebling a trail or off-shoot of one will be entrusted to the FJ

2. Snow, Sand, water sheds logging roads and large animal trails, maybe some slick rock action or So. Colorado desert exploring.

3.--Mods will include slight lift, beefy tire, ARB bumper, rock rail, TRD exhaust, roof rack w/ lights and a ski rack!

4. only as a passenger back in highschool with my bros.-----Old FJ 40 in some tight wooded Montana trail.

5.-----Not yet! :D

6. rode my bike around Moab and Rubicon, but never in a vehicle.

·
Registered
3,087 Posts
I plan on taking mine off road. Cascade Mountain trails and Olympic Mountain trails. There are a couple of State Hwys on the way to the Olympic trails that are dirt roads. Plus taking it up skiing. I am had my Yakima Rep check to see if they are going to make a ski and a bike rack for the FJ. He told me that they are working on an FJ roof rack system that directly attaches to the existing stock rack.

Plus on the Pacific Coast beaches, playing in the sand!!!!

·
Registered
963 Posts
chewey46 said:
I plan on taking mine off road. Cascade Mountain trails and Olympic Mountain trails. There are a couple of State Hwys on the way to the Olympic trails that are dirt roads. Plus taking it up skiing. I am had my Yakima Rep check to see if they are going to make a ski and a bike rack for the FJ. He told me that they are working on an FJ roof rack system that directly attaches to the existing stock rack.

Plus on the Pacific Coast beaches, playing in the sand!!!!
The Pacific coast is always fun. I wouldn't mind exploring the Olympic Mountains myself. I haven't been out there very much and neither has my fiancee so I know she'd like going out there. But it's not like there's an absence of fun roads and trails up here where I live in the cascade mountains :D

- LC

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
(1) Do you plan to take it off-road at all? As often as possible. As you know there's not much off-road around H-Town, nor much public land in Texas for that matter.

(2) If so, what type of terrain? Anything but mud. I've never figured out how to drive through mud. Can someone start a thread on how to driver your FJC in the mud? I like the remoteness of far west texas. I plan to get lost in Big Bend in my FJC, plus do some moderate rock crawling in the Hill Country.

(3) Do you plan to modify it to be more off-road capable? Winch up front. That's not exactly more offroad capable but it's piece of mind, especially traveling alone in remote locations. Maybe a mild lift after I wear out my first set of tires. Maybe a dual battery system so I can mount an ARB freezer in the back for those margarita parties out in the middle of nowhere. Anyone ever been to Pandale Texas?

(4) What type of off-roading have you done in the past and with what types of vehicles? see #2 for types of off-roading. I own or have owned these mostly stock 4WD vehicles: Willys CJ-3B, Willys PU, Isuzu Trooper, FZJ80, Tundra, Chevy 2500 HD Diesel Crew Cab, Highlander(it does say 4WD on the back - wife's car ok). I guess you could say I like to push a stock vehicle as far as I can w/o breaking it, and then get out of my vehicle to watch guys like you that like to do lots of mods to your vehicles and then go out and break something so you can fix it. Did I get that right Shannon? It's all good.

(5) Do you currently have a dedicate trail vehicle? just my size 12s

I was in Moab in the summer of 1983, but not for wheelin. We were at Arches doing some field work. Camped at KOA. I've actually sat right under where Roosterdoo's TRD FJC is levitating. I got the opposite vibe that Percy did but that was over 20 years ago and I was a swillin like Bob Dylan college student. I would love to do long treks into Mexico someday after I quit my day job. And maybe some Friday I'll trek over to Hooters and meet you and your TTORA crew.

·
Registered
3,087 Posts
Lost Cosmonaut said:
The Pacific coast is always fun. I wouldn't mind exploring the Olympic Mountains myself. I haven't been out there very much and neither has my fiancee so I know she'd like going out there. But it's not like there's an absence of fun roads and trails up here where I live in the cascade mountains :D

- LC
Salmon Le Sac?? The old Coal Mine trials???? That will be fun washing the black off my FJ!!!!!

·
Registered
963 Posts
chewey46 said:
Salmon Le Sac?? The old Coal Mine trials???? That will be fun washing the black off my FJ!!!!!
You betcha. Plus Peoh Point, Manastash, Teanaway, etc. etc.

If you're ever in the area be sure to wave to the yellow FJ 'cause more than likely it's me :D

- LC

·
Registered
163 Posts
TACOZILLA said:
Not just yes, But heck yes!

2-Track, Fire Roads

Yes, better tires and perhaps a 2 in lift and skid-plates

My wife and I cover lots of ground here in her 95 1/2 Tacoma V6

Yes, '05 525EX (see avatar) .... :cool:

I'd be tempted to do the Rubicon, as it's pretty close. But there are THOUSANDS OF MILES of roads and trails here and I like to explore.

·
Registered
883 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Pancho said:
I guess you could say I like to push a stock vehicle as far as I can w/o breaking it, and then get out of my vehicle to watch guys like you that like to do lots of mods to your vehicles and then go out and break something so you can fix it. Did I get that right Shannon? It's all good.
You hit the nail on the head. I normally break or damage something on Zilla at every event I attend! In fact if you come to the Lone Star Toyota Jamboree at Barnwell Mountain in 2 weeks you will see me at some point that weekend wrenching on my rig!

Pancho said:
And maybe some Friday I'll trek over to Hooters and meet you and your TTORA crew.
Come on out...we're there every Friday night. There are also other meetings around town that may be closer to you. If you keep an eye on the TTORA Texas Chapter forum you can keep up with all the events and meetings that are going on all over the state of Texas!

·
Registered
2,008 Posts

Yes!!!

Most of the areas I used to take my jeeps are now housing or heavily restricted. For the most part, mud, rocks, water, whatever I can get into.

Yes as the need presents itself. I will probably get an ARB and Warn to start and as it gets old and I get bolder with it I will change out things as needed. Lift, tires, etc...

I wheeled 2 jeeps (94 & 97) for 7 or so years. Both jeeps were mostly stock, the 97 was lifted with 33's. Back when I owned these there were a ton of places to go. Farms, cable trails, surrounding woods, really anywhere we could do it and not get in trouble.

No

None.

I am MUCH less willing to take this truck to areas that I took my jeeps. This has nothing to do with the trucks, but more a reflection on my age and attitude. I ran from the DNR trucks enough time in my youth. I plan on going to Paragon shortly after getting my FJ. It seems like a good place to reintroduce myself to offroad.

1 - 20 of 68 Posts