21 - 40 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
3,087 Posts

·
Registered
282 Posts
TACOZILLA said:
I am thinking about getting one to replace one of my daily drivers, the 97 Jeep Cherokee...I also have a 97 Ford F-350 4x4 that I use as a daily driver and also serves as a tow rig to haul TACOZILLA from event to event. If I did get a FJ however I would more than likely modify it after the new has worn off of it. By modify I mean the IFS would go bye bye! :D
Why wait for it to get worn! Just SAC it :) hehe!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Originally Posted by TACOZILLA
Just trying to get the general consensus of the typical FJ Cruiser owner.

(1) Do you plan to take it off-road at all?

As much as possible

(2) If so, what type of terrain?

Rocks, sand, snow, mud, the moon, mars, uranus?

(3) Do you plan to modify it to be more off-road capable?

suspension, front locker,

(4) What type of off-roading have you done in the past and with what types of vehicles?

5 Land Rovers

(5) Do you currently have a dedicate trail vehicle?

200 Discovery.

(6) What major off-road areas have you frequented? (example: Moab, Tellico Rubicon)
Rubicon, Moab, Big Bear, Truckhaven, Miller trail, Anza Borrego.. Etc...

·
Registered
2 Posts
(1) Do you plan to take it off-road at all? Always!

(2) If so, what type of terrain? Mostly Desert

(3) Do you plan to modify it to be more off-road capable? Yes. Total Chaos front suspension, chevy leaf springs in the rear, Fox bypass shox all the way around, Fox coil overs in front, cantilever rear suspension. 14" front wheel travel, 16" rear wheel travel will be the goal.

(4) What type of off-roading have you done in the past and with what types of vehicles? Desert Pre-running and racing.

(5) Do you currently have a dedicate trail vehicle? 1990 Toyota 4runner with Total Chaos front suspension, chevy leaf springs in the rear.

(6) What major off-road areas have you frequented? (example: Moab, Tellico Rubicon). Baja, Nevada and So-Cal deserts.

·
Registered
2,173 Posts
1. yes!!!!!
2. mostly mud and hills...
3. no much at first... i will change things when i knock the new off of it
4. i goto the swamp in florida 2 or 3 times a year.
5. NO... my wife will not let me take her rx300 off the road (idid take it into the swamp last year.... please do not tell
6 took my fj60 on a trail ride in the smokey mtns.

·
Registered
87 Posts
TACOZILLA said:
I guess I should answer my own little survey here! :)

Moab, Tellico, Rubicon, Las Cruces, Farmington, Paragon, Hot Springs, Clayton, Del Rio and many places here in Texas that you've probablly never even heard of! :)
Hey Taco,

I live about 400 feet (literally) from Chokecherry Canyon (Farmington).

Maybe I see you someday,
Chaz

·
Registered
883 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
chaz said:
Hey Taco,

I live about 400 feet (literally) from Chokecherry Canyon (Farmington).

Maybe I see you someday,
Chaz
Yeah, Las Cruces and Farmington are really great places to wheel...if you like the rocks that is! :D

·
Registered
40 Posts
(1) Yes
(2)Moderate terrain/trails, dunes(Pismo Beach CA)
(3)Yes, ARB/w Warn m8000lb winch, Donahoe coilovers, PIAA 520 lights,BFG All-terrain KO's. Who knows what else...
(4)Too much to list, past rigs, IH scout, CJ-5, Ford Explorer(junk)
(5)Yes, 2000 Tacoma 4x4 ex-cab, TRD, lifted, Warn 8000 lb winch
(6)No major off-road areas, just the non-famous areas in the central
calif. sierra

·
Registered
12 Posts
Yes I off road every week-end. Mountains, dessert, sage flats, ROCKS, usually 100 or more miles from the nearest house, let alone a service station!! Did I mention ELK HUNTING??? That will get your heart pounding!! I live in Wyoming and as some of you know, just getting home can be an off-roading adventure!! I now have a '04 Land Rover Discovery, my second Disco, but only because the FJ wasn't out yet. I also own a Tundra, a Matrix, and did have a 4Runner, and a T100, so I know Toyotas are strong vehicles!!

·
Registered
162 Posts
ok, I vote to omit question #1. The answer should be a given. If however you answer no to question #1, then perhaps you should be looking at a vehicle that is more suited to your driving style, like this one

2. Dirt, loose dirt, small sharp rocks, big boulders, giant pieces of rock that look like small roads, mud...everything the FJC was designed for.

3. Rock rails, lights, ARB (hopefully it will come with BFG AT/TAs)

4. See question 2. And in 86 and 94 Toy Pickups, and 76 and 83 FJ40s

5. No

6. Back Country Colorado mostly, but I get out to Moab twice a year (primarily for mt biking, but we usually wheel a bit too)

·
Official Field Agent
1,146 Posts
(1) Do you plan to take it off-road at all? uh, yeah. duh.

(2) If so, what type of terrain?
general purpose type stuff. winte weather in michigan (home sweet home!), fire trails, some sand, a little mud. more expedition type stuff than extreme wheeling. hunting, fishing, camping, Boy Scout type things.

(3) Do you plan to modify it to be more off-road capable?

probably fit 33x9.5s when the stockers wear out. i would like to be able to dump about 5k in various mods, but realistically all im probably going to get (for a while at least) is supplemental gear (fuel cans, shovels, snatch strap, hi-lift, tools, etc). for serious mods see #5.

(4) What type of off-roading have you done in the past and with what types of vehicles?

see #2, add lots of dunes. '94 regular cab v6 4x4 toyota pickup, manual everything. '88 toyota 4runner v6, loaded. its my loxomobile! (current DD) '97 fwd 5 speed rav4; wifes car. im amazed i never got it stuck!

see also my avatar. AAVP7A1 amphibious assault vehicle. yes, they float... usually. taken off-road in: the pacific ocean, hawaii, Iraq, Kuwait, and Japan so far.

(5) Do you currently have a dedicate trail vehicle?

soon to be '88 4runner (pending FJC purchase), probably about a year off.

(6) What major off-road areas have you frequented?

Nothin' special. Pismo. Silver lake (MI.) sand dunes. all over manistee national forest.

·
Registered
644 Posts
The only terrain I wheel in...considering it's all that's around here....is trees! Lot's of tight twisting mountain trails. I love to explore the unexplored and conquer unrealistic obstacles. Fortunately, I never failed to conquer anything too crazy. =)

With that in mind, I need those steel cables that are connected to the top of the windsheild, and the front of the fenders...to push away tree limbs. And I need a bull bar of some sort, whatever looks the coolest. I need a bunch of lights too, it's always dark out for some reason. Hmm, oh and a snorkel. The occasional puddle/pond is fun to tear asunder.

My first off-road vehicle was my '97 Wrangler and I had a lot of fun with it rallying in wet coal with slick 31" tires. SO MUCH FUN!

SOMEONE TAKE ME TO PARAGON OR RAUSCH CREEK!!! I want to go, but you need a party of vehicles. I have no friends that wheel. One of you that live in or near PA should totally go to Paragon in Hazleton with me. I want to get one of those orange flags for my Taco, lol. =)

·
Official Field Agent
1,146 Posts
Tone said:
... Hmm, oh and a snorkel. The occasional puddle/pond is fun to tear asunder. ...
ditto that. i broke two connecting rods in my '94 once doing just that. water does not, in fact, compress. take my word for it.

·
Registered
2,008 Posts
Tone said:
The only terrain I wheel in...considering it's all that's around here....is trees! Lot's of tight twisting mountain trails. I love to explore the unexplored and conquer unrealistic obstacles. Fortunately, I never failed to conquer anything too crazy. =)

With that in mind, I need those steel cables that are connected to the top of the windsheild, and the front of the fenders...to push away tree limbs. And I need a bull bar of some sort, whatever looks the coolest. I need a bunch of lights too, it's always dark out for some reason. Hmm, oh and a snorkel. The occasional puddle/pond is fun to tear asunder.

My first off-road vehicle was my '97 Wrangler and I had a lot of fun with it rallying in wet coal with slick 31" tires. SO MUCH FUN!

SOMEONE TAKE ME TO PARAGON OR RAUSCH CREEK!!! I want to go, but you need a party of vehicles. I have no friends that wheel. One of you that live in or near PA should totally go to Paragon in Hazleton with me. I want to get one of those orange flags for my Taco, lol. =)
I don't think you need a party for their monthly rides. Check out their website. http://www.paragonap.com/

·
Registered
883 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
Tone said:
We had our National Event (TTORA TakeOver 2005) in Paragon last July. Too bad you weren't aware of it. Close to 100 rigs attended our event. Toyota brought out one of the protype FJC's to display at the banquet dinner they sponsored for us there in Hazelton at the Eagle Rock Resort. They also provide our event t-shirts which all participants get a free t-shirt. TRD reps were there doing surveys and handing out all kinds of cool free TRD stuff. And then of coarse all of our sponsors gave away some really nice items for our raffle. Not to mention all the wheelin that went on!

Which, we are doing it again this year...but it won't be in you neck of the woods as this year the TTORA TakeOver 2006 will be located at Superlifts ORV Park in Hot Springs, AR. Doesn't mean you can't make a road trip out of it though! :)

·
Registered
64 Posts
There is a place in San Antonio called "Devils Den" which is about 20 acres of hills, trails, creeks, mud, limestone and swampland, smack dab in the middle of the northwest side of the city. The lower half of it is surrounded by freeway and the top half is in the shadow of Seaworld. Its a crazy, dangerous place. As you drive along the trails you see numerous crosses in memory of those who died there. Hence the name "Devils Den".

Haha, I should have turned the lights out and held a flashlight under my face.

·
Registered
883 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
Jumper said:
There is a place in San Antonio called "Devils Den" which is about 20 acres of hills, trails, creeks, mud, limestone and swampland, smack dab in the middle of the northwest side of the city. The lower half of it is surrounded by freeway and the top half is in the shadow of Seaworld. Its a crazy, dangerous place. As you drive along the trails you see numerous crosses in memory of those who died there. Hence the name "Devils Den".

Haha, I should have turned the lights out and held a flashlight under my face.
I've been to the Den on more than one occasion. It's pretty challenging for moderately built rigs. People with extremely built rigs get kinda bored out there though. Never seen any of these crosses you speak of?

·
Registered
2,057 Posts
i need to get the hell out of the bay area. this is drivin me friggin nuts hearing about everyone living in the backyard of nature and crap. dammit!

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
i need to get the hell out of the bay area. this is drivin me friggin nuts hearing about everyone living in the backyard of nature and crap. dammit!
Have some cheese with that Napa Valley whine. You're closer to Rubicon than Tacozilla is to the Devil's Den. And what about Lombard Street???

21 - 40 of 68 Posts