Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

21 - 40 of 99 Posts

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
Wife and I won a prototype bug screen system for the back window. It's from purefjcruiser. She has claimed it.

Reactions: NW FJC and Dennx

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
I did win a BAmuffler, then the announcer told me after I walked up I was too late and they burned the ticket even though I yelled out in time and started to walk up. I was ticked. This was something I really wanted. There were plenty of instances where more time was given to other winners. They then handed me a consolation prize which was a Trail Gear Suspension Winch. I scratched my head, what the hell is that!? I also won a Tuffy Security Console. Both items are for sale in the for sale forum.
I was there and I thought you got totally screwed. I heard you call out, and then you had to make your way around the edge of the tent to get to the front. Next thing I know they are calling another name and frankly the guy was a total dick to you.

Reactions: NW FJC

·
Registered
1,644 Posts
Wife and I won a prototype bug screen system for the back window. It's from purefjcruiser. She has claimed it.
I got one of those.My buddy has one too. The work pretty nice. I feel safe enough to leave my back window open with my dog in there

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
I was there and I thought you got totally screwed. I heard you call out, and then you had to make your way around the edge of the tent to get to the front. Next thing I know they are calling another name and frankly the guy was a total dick to you.
I appreciate that msduncan. I won fair and square. Next year I'm going to stamp my full name on every ticket.

·
Premium Member
2,456 Posts
I appreciate that msduncan. I won fair and square. Next year I'm going to stamp my full name on every ticket.
Actually, it would solve a lot of problems if they would simply put together a quick database of numbers / names at the time of purchase. It would only take a couple of minutes to do, and when a ticket is pulled, they could simply enter it and call out the name. No fuss no muss.

If the directors read this and are interested, I could put together the database and a quick app to enter the information and send it to them free just to make life easier on everyone.

·
Premium Member
8,990 Posts
I did win a BAmuffler, then the announcer told me after I walked up I was too late and they burned the ticket even though I yelled out in time and started to walk up. I was ticked. This was something I really wanted. There were plenty of instances where more time was given to other winners. They then handed me a consolation prize which was a Trail Gear Suspension Winch. I scratched my head, what the hell is that!? I also won a Tuffy Security Console. Both items are for sale in the for sale forum.
Sorry this happened. I was there behind the scenes trying to help you claim your prize and that's when we ended up giving you the Trail Gear item. It always gets mighty crazy after dinner and during the raffle but I'll make a note to ensure we have a center aisle to help folks get to the front sooner.

Actually, it would solve a lot of problems if they would simply put together a quick database of numbers / names at the time of purchase. It would only take a couple of minutes to do, and when a ticket is pulled, they could simply enter it and call out the name. No fuss no muss.

If the directors read this and are interested, I could put together the database and a quick app to enter the information and send it to them free just to make life easier on everyone.
Thanks but I don't think this is an option. Some do not like their names thrown out in public and, in the case of someone whose name is called and for whatever reason they are not there to claim it, it could be a bit embarrassing.

·
Registered
480 Posts

I know that would help on fairness and all but how boring. Half the fun of the raffle is checking your tickets to see if your number was pulled. If all I had to do was sit there and chat with friends and half listen to see if my name is called they might as well do away with the raffle all together and just send me an email in the morning telling me to claim my prizes. No offense to Dennx but iirc (and I might not) you were sitting right behind me and you said got it a split second after the burned it. Personally I think they should have allowed less time for people to check their tickets.

·
Premium Member
8,990 Posts
I know that would help on fairness and all but how boring. Half the fun of the raffle is checking your tickets to see if your number was pulled. If all I had to do was sit there and chat with friends and half listen to see if my name is called they might as well do away with the raffle all together and just send me an email in the morning telling me to claim my prizes. No offense to Dennx but iirc (and I might not) you were sitting right behind me and you said got it a split second after the burned it. Personally I think they should have allowed less time for people to check their tickets.
Yes, a tip for anyone not already doing it . . . write down the colors and ranges of your numbers and check what you have written down instead of shuffling through the actual tickets each time a number is called. It is much, much faster: For example: 018845 - 018945

If you have several packs of tickets and are shuffling through them looking for a number, can you seriously expect us to wait five minutes per ticket ? Get organized by writing down the ranges and just concentrate on listening for the numbers.

Reactions: Joeg180

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
When you have 200 tickets cobbled together from 5 or 6 purchases (different ranges), it can take a few seconds to check your tickets. Plus you have individuals too. You are rushing to get through these numbers to ensure that they don't submit to the jackholes in the crowd yelling for them to burn the tickets. Several times they almost burned the tickets because the jackwagons yelling BURN were yelling over the person trying to claim the ticket.

In my first year observation of the Summit, everything went incredibly smoothly and was highly enjoyable. The one exception is that chaos that is the raffle. There were several times that people were rushing in checking their tickets to avoid them getting burned and so they went up to the front with incorrect tickets and the items had to be redrawn. What takes longer, waiting a couple extra seconds and calling the number again or having to redraw 4 or 5 items because someone panicked and ran up there with the wrong ticket? We also had a legitimate winner lose a valuable item and basically get dressed down publicly in the process.

Honest opinion, but the raffle stood in stark contrast to the highly organized nature of the rest of the Summit. I realize there are time limits.... but honestly.... people sat there through an hour lecture that started at 7 and the raffle only started after 8:30. Shorten the hour presentation to 30 minutes and bump the raffle up 30 minutes to make sure you have time.

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
Yes, a tip for anyone not already doing it . . . write down the colors and ranges of your numbers and check what you have written down instead of shuffling through the actual tickets each time a number is called. It is much, much faster: For example: 018845 - 018945

If you have several packs of tickets and are shuffling through them looking for a number, can you seriously expect us to wait five minutes per ticket ? Get organized by writing down the ranges and just concentrate on listening for the numbers.
With all due respect, the guy that got screwed didn't make anyone wait that long. They called the number three times very quickly and I did hear him yell out on the 3rd time but several were screaming burn which drowned his voice out. So he's walking up on the perimeter not knowing that they are redrawing.

We did write down our ranges. You are totally right that it helped 1000%. The issue is that some folks buy tickets here and there over the days, they receive raffle tickets as change for store purchases (so they have multiple individuals), etc. So they are checking their individuals. Plus there were a few times when the guy at the mic gave a way shorter amount of time.

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
Make no mistake though, I want to emphasize that I think the raffle is a great thing and that the overall Summit was one of the best organized events I've ever been to. I want you organizers to know that I've been to Walt Disney World special merchandising events that had all sorts of planned activities and I will tell everyone I talk to that YOU guys have managed to organize the FJ Summits far better than Walt Disney has managed to do.

Huge hat off to you guys. It certainly shows that a lot of hard work, learning from inefficiencies over the years, etc has gone into this annual event. I had trouble on the survey figuring out 'needs to improve' areas, which is the highest praise.

Reactions: FJ Moose

·
Premium Member
2,456 Posts
Make no mistake though, I want to emphasize that I think the raffle is a great thing and that the overall Summit was one of the best organized events I've ever been to. I want you organizers to know that I've been to Walt Disney World special merchandising events that had all sorts of planned activities and I will tell everyone I talk to that YOU guys have managed to organize the FJ Summits far better than Walt Disney has managed to do.

Huge hat off to you guys. It certainly shows that a lot of hard work, learning from inefficiencies over the years, etc has gone into this annual event. I had trouble on the survey figuring out 'needs to improve' areas, which is the highest praise.
Yeah - I'll second that. Hell, I can't imagine just trying to keep all the Texans in line, let alone everything else. :lookaround:

·
I Have a V-8!! Moderator
30,835 Posts
Yeah - I'll second that. Hell, I can't imagine just trying to keep all the Texans in line, let alone everything else. :lookaround:
Hell they're pretty much like sheep. Get one or two to do something and the rest just follow along behind..... >:D

·
Registered
2,395 Posts
We all felt badly for you. You did win fair and square. We were sitting in the last row and soon discovered you really had to yell for them to hear up front due to the tent...
I wrote my name and number on all my tickets as they told us to do when we purchased them. I doubt it would have made a difference as it was pretty ruthless.... :bandit: I'm going to have a stamp made for next years tickets to expedite filling them out. Better luck next year and bring an air horn! :wave:

·
Premium Member
8,990 Posts

Thanks for the input. I will reference this thread when it comes time to discuss improvements.

·
Premium Member
13,321 Posts
Kinda shy about this but my girl told me to brag a little... I bought a $100 in tickets and won the FOUR count 'em Four Vision Wheels from Discount Tire (Thanks Discount! :wave:) so I'm going to have to purchase a fifth to make it a complete set...and also won a VERY HEAVY Expedition 1 front bumper (Thank you EXP1 !) which I just love but am grappling with the weight thing. It's the one I would have bought if I didn't go with what I have already and it definitely would add the "tank factor" to the FJ ... They called it an Aluminess when I went up but no, it's full on Mad Max... They called the number and the second time it clicked in my head. I went running up not even knowing what I won! My head was spinning and they pointed to this BIG shiny thing on the table and said get it out of here quickly... :bandit: Much thanks to OC for helping carry it to the FJ and load 'er up... Not an easy go at 7000+ feet... :lol: I'm going to weigh it and kick it around a bit as to what I'm going to do, maybe I'll have winter and summer bumpers:thinkerg: Anyway, I'm so grateful for the vendors generosity and prizes, notably MetalTech really stepped up to the plate and made a convert of my girl even though we didn't score anything MT... I'll post up pics when I get busy with what I'm going to do... It was so exciting the girlfriend said not only does she want to come back next year but she's going to buy some tickets too! Now that says something about the raffle!!!

:cheers:
That was a heavy A$$ bumper :) Glad you won

I agree with this but also saw many with multiple strings due to the points listed above. It would be great to have a data base.

I also agree the speaker could have condensed that into a 20 minute presentation. While Im sure it was an exciting life story, watching the rooms body language showed me barely anyone was listening. This could have been a very exciting presentation in 20 minutes and allowed for more time to raffle. just my .02

Hell they're pretty much like sheep. Get one or two to do something and the rest just follow along behind..... >:D
Whats with all the anti- Texas tripe… Ya'll just jealous :D

I didnt win anything other than scoring extra packages of plastic wear with salt/ pepper and napkins on the table :). LT did give me a free T-shirt though which was cool.

I'd sum it up that some young girls kept winning most of the prizes as they kept running past Baz and I around the side of the tent. Wikid won a bunch of stuff too :)

Best feel good was Baz bought some tickets and then gave them to another member- they won a set of Method Wheels- Now thats awesome and should be recognized! Way to go Baz! (I think he only wanted the blue tickets :lol:)

·
Registered
480 Posts
Thanks for the input. I will reference this thread when it comes time to discuss improvements.
Not really really related to what we are talking about in this thread but if you are looking for suggestions to improve the raffle...Sell less tickets. I was told over 20,000 tickets were sold then when you ran out of tickets you scrounged up those orange rectangles and sold them. Had I know all this I wouldn't have spent a dime on the raffle. It seemed more like a money making ploy than anything g else.

21 - 40 of 99 Posts