Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

61 - 80 of 99 Posts

·
Premium Member
13,321 Posts
Sunset in ouray is 8:30, so if the speech was moved to earlier/another day/nixed on raffle day, the raffle could be earlier, which will help those people with long drives who need some ZZZ's for driving long hours the next day. Might even have some light.
Agreed- I pulled a a 19 hour drive right after the close of the raffle, with a tire change.

It could also encourage those to trade off their winnings to alleviate the need to bring it home if not wanted or install it :D

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
I won the ToyTek Boss Coil Overs.. $300 in tickets, won $870 Shocks.

Seems like a good deal until I had to factor in the cost of a new windshield. Mine has to be replaced again due to the damaged that was incurred on the way home, by a flying rock.

Zero deductible on glass is your friend.

·
Premium Member
1,183 Posts
I one a set of MaxTrax and an Icon toolbag containg an Icon recovery strap and a shackle on 41 tickets.

I like the idea of posting spotters in the back to help out and maybe doing something to cut down on those yelling Burn it.

·
Premium Member
2,456 Posts
I one a set of MaxTrax and an Icon toolbag containg an Icon recovery strap and a shackle on 41 tickets.

I like the idea of posting spotters in the back to help out and maybe doing something to cut down on those yelling Burn it.
Good idea - now can I have your MaxTrax? :lol:

·
Registered
1,376 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,990 Posts
Thanks for the suggestions everyone. Once things settle down and we get a chance to discuss the ideas I'm sure we will agree on many changes. They might be small changes but they are changes nevertheless.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Thanks for the suggestions everyone. Once things settle down and we get a chance to discuss the ideas I'm sure we will agree on many changes. They might be small changes but they are changes nevertheless.

Dinner should start an hour earlier too. Lots of people come back from the dusty trail in the early afternoon around 4 ish. If dinner started at 5 instead of 6 more people could eat sooner and open the tables up so the late comers would have a place to sit and eat. It would also help alleviate the long waiting line to eat.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Premium Member
1,183 Posts
I'm going way off the reservation and say let's do it on Friday and have Saturday or Thursday be the Ouray town day. That would give us a whole day to swap/sell unneeded winnings before having to lug them home.

On the down side it would be one less day to catch a Marmot for barter and those things are quick. :grin

·
Registered
1,888 Posts
Dinner should start an hour earlier too. Lots of people come back from the dusty trail in the early afternoon around 4 ish. If dinner started at 5 instead of 6 more people could eat sooner and open the tables up so the late comers would have a place to sit and eat. It would also help alleviate the long waiting line to eat.

That was actually one of my suggestions when I filled out the survey; dinner from 5-7 instead of 6-8 for all days, not just the day of the raffle. I was back in Ouray after my trails betwen 2-4 each day and I did the earliest runs. If dinner was at 5, people could trickle in as they got back from the later trail runs and go straight to dinner. That would reduce lines and allow for an extra hour on raffle day.

·
Registered
171 Posts
That was actually one of my suggestions when I filled out the survey; dinner from 5-7 instead of 6-8 for all days, not just the day of the raffle. I was back in Ouray after my trails betwen 2-4 each day and I did the earliest runs. If dinner was at 5, people could trickle in as they got back from the later trail runs and go straight to dinner. That would reduce lines and allow for an extra hour on raffle day.

We didn't eat burgers Wednesday night, we got back early from the trail and dinner was 90 minutes out so we just went downtown and ate.

·
Premium Member
1,518 Posts

·
Registered
1,888 Posts
Is that the long rumored, mythical, 2010+ supercharger? :laugh
Word from the TRD engineer is that the 10+ supercharger scuffed a bearing during the 100 hour full throttle test. As a result Toyota told them to go back to the drawing board. They said they think they have a fix, but if they can't get it fixed by summer next year the whole project is scrapped.

·
Premium Member
1,518 Posts
^^ Paging URD. Mr. URD? URD, please answer the page. >:D

·
Registered
10,293 Posts
Best feel good was Baz bought some tickets and then gave them to another member- they won a set of Method Wheels- Now thats awesome and should be recognized! Way to go Baz! (I think he only wanted the blue tickets :lol:)

That is super generous to give all the non-blue tickets away :lol: Baz is definitely the nicest guy on the forum.

However, did Baz try to take back the Method wheels with fisticuffs once he realized one of the non-blue tickets won $1000+ wheels? :lol: :worried: He does look pretty imposing from that Summit pic you posted hahaha. I guess Method doesn't have blue wheels but they do have white to match his roof!

·
Registered
2,294 Posts
When you have 200 tickets cobbled together from 5 or 6 purchases (different ranges), it can take a few seconds to check your tickets. Plus you have individuals too. You are rushing to get through these numbers to ensure that they don't submit to the jackholes in the crowd yelling for them to burn the tickets. Several times they almost burned the tickets because the jackwagons yelling BURN were yelling over the person trying to claim the ticket.

In my first year observation of the Summit, everything went incredibly smoothly and was highly enjoyable. The one exception is that chaos that is the raffle. There were several times that people were rushing in checking their tickets to avoid them getting burned and so they went up to the front with incorrect tickets and the items had to be redrawn. What takes longer, waiting a couple extra seconds and calling the number again or having to redraw 4 or 5 items because someone panicked and ran up there with the wrong ticket? We also had a legitimate winner lose a valuable item and basically get dressed down publicly in the process.

Honest opinion, but the raffle stood in stark contrast to the highly organized nature of the rest of the Summit. I realize there are time limits.... but honestly.... people sat there through an hour lecture that started at 7 and the raffle only started after 8:30. Shorten the hour presentation to 30 minutes and bump the raffle up 30 minutes to make sure you have time.
I noticed this also many people hollering over a person who is also trying to say that he won. The directors are also right in the fact that many actually say nothing and just get up and walk up and say its me. I think maybe having one or two directors or volunteers that are NOT participating in the raffle hang out in the back areas with microphones to assist with the front guys knowing if someone has won. Just a thought that would help over come the noise problem.

·
Registered
2,294 Posts
Helps pay the bills and make donations to other charities. I think its vital to the survival of the organization.
I don't care about the number of tickets sold, to me its more bother some for all of the different styles of tickets, blue sq tickets, blue sq 50/50 tickets, orange, red, white, green, green 50/50.....how about limiting it to just 3 styles/colors??

·
Registered
101 Posts
I agree with many of the prior statements. Starting the dinners earlier would stagger some of the times that people would be lined up for food. Those who ran later or longer runs may not get back to town until after 5:00 which would allow for others to already be eating and making room for those who got in line later and decrease the overall length of the line at any given time.
Also having the raffle on Thur. or Fri. night would allow people enough time the next day to either install their new winnings on their rig or try to find a buyer/trader for things they don't want/need. Plus it may help the vendor business out because if people are waiting on the raffle to see if they win something specific and they don't get it then they may be inclined to go to a vendor booth and buy one outright. By the time the raffle ends Saturday the vendors are are all packing up to go home. Just my 2 pennies.:shrug03:

61 - 80 of 99 Posts