Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
5,078 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently I read issue 3 of the fj cruiser magazine, towards the rear I noticed an article showing and talking about the intake and how they made the fins and showed a turnback inside the fender.

So that in mind I was real curious, since I had been through several big mud holes. So I raised the hood and removed the top fender Plastic covers by removing the plastic pin plugs when i removed them I headed straight for the garden hose. I could not believe how much Crud was in there. It only took me 30 minutes to remove and wash out and re install the covers. This probably should be something we do at least every 4 to 6 months on a cleaning. Just thought I would share this info and finding with those who love the mud... Later
String..:bandit:

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
Recently I read issue 3 of the fj cruiser magazine, towards the rear I noticed an article showing and talking about the intake and how they made the fins and showed a turnback inside the fender.

So that in mind I was real curious, since I had been through several big mud holes. So I raised the hood and removed the top fender Plastic covers by removing the plastic pin plugs when i removed them I headed straight for the garden hose. I could not believe how much Crud was in there. It only took me 30 minutes to remove and wash out and re install the covers. This probably should be something we do at least every 4 to 6 months on a cleaning. Just thought I would share this info and finding with those who love the mud... Later
x2!!! Holy Mud Fender Batman!!! :flame:

·
Registered
5,078 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So I guess you agree of did you just Flame me?

·
Premium Member
18,479 Posts
The reason the cover is there so you DON'T see the mud. :D Don't look at it! Just think of them as balasts. :lol:

There's a lot of stuff that if you know about would really bother you. If it doesn't affect the vehicle and you can't really see it, I don't go look for it. ;)

·
Registered
2,165 Posts
I can't even find mud in the desert, if anything there are at least a few water crossings.:simmadown:

·
Kajun Kim
5,488 Posts
Guys, I clean under the hood every few months. After the Paint Mod day here in March, I was embarassed as Layton told me that I should be taking care of business in the engine bay. Now, I look all OVER the place and will regularly jam him out AND crawl underneath. Granted with a 3" lift and 285s it is ALOT easier!!!! No flaming String, peace.....

·
Premium Member
3,460 Posts

Mike,

Are you available the week of the 7th to come down to Tennessee and clean a TRD? I'm sure you could find all kinds of mud in and under the FJ. :)

·
Registered
161 Posts
I spent at least 4 straight hours pressure washing every nook and cranny of my FJ after the Spring MudFling II. It looked pretty good. Then I removed the bumper to black-out the silver trim and it looked horrible! The FJ has some good dirt covers on it. I'll probably clean behind the bumper when I replace it (may be never).

·
Premium Member
3,399 Posts
Guys, you think that is bad...wait till you remove the plastic rocker panels and door cladding. I removed mine in prep for LineX and just found pounds of mud. I can guarantee you all that your FJ will rust under the rockers first within a few years, maybe sooner for salt states. Removing the rockers is easy, but the cladding pop clips will break. So if you can periodically just remove your rockers and clean, your FJ will be happier.

·
Registered
16 Posts
i just got back from mudding and under my hood is covered with thick mud...can i just pressure was all of that? what can i do? and how do you remove the rockers?

·
Banned
2,364 Posts
The reason the cover is there so you DON'T see the mud. :D Don't look at it! Just think of them as balasts. :lol:

There's a lot of stuff that if you know about would really bother you. If it doesn't affect the vehicle and you can't really see it, I don't go look for it. ;)
This is correct. If you go mudding and don't clean this area out, it will counteract the FJs tendency to lean to the left... :rofl:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts