Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,232 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is one of our next projects we are working on.

This particular customer is having us be one of the first shops in SoCal install the Metal Tech 3 link kit with Icon rear bump out shocks. It's a fairly new set up so there may be changes along the way. Were also adding King air bumps both front and back.

This FJ is also getting front and rear bumpers, and upgraded Icon suspension along with air bumps and 4:88 gear swap.

Here are some pictures of the process already.

First things first.

Front bumper installed.

Rear bumper off getting ready for our rear bumper.

The rear end was stripped out, no gas tank, rear diff is out for gear swap, shocks and anything we could un-bolt is gone to make room for the 3 link work that needs to be done.

We tacked the axle in place so it wouldn't move.

Upper link places on frame, making adjustments and getting ready for welding.

Jordan our head fabricator is doing most of the work on this most of the mock up.

Lower links are tacked in place.

Almost ready to cycle.

Gotta cut off the supports first though.

·
Registered
500 Posts
Awesome, so is this one of the rear lt kits they had been talking about? Is this guy gonna be going with a dana 60 or the OEM axle?

·
Premium Member
4,232 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Awesome, so is this one of the rear lt kits they had been talking about? Is this guy gonna be going with a dana 60 or the OEM axle?
Yes they were nice enough to let me be one of the first to install it.

·
Premium Member
17,641 Posts
Looks like a stock axle. Thanks for the pics Jason. I'm droping mine off here in TX next week to have the MT 3 Link installed on a rockjock 60.

I take it everything needs to be pulled to install the kit? Or can the gas tank be left in place? Only reason I ask is that I'm thinking I might need to pull my MAF Aux tank as well.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Hi,
I'm the owner of the truck. To give everyone some background, this build has been in the works for the better part of a year in terms of researching equipment appropriate for my desired applications, ensuring compatibility of all parts, reading threads and of course budgeting. I'm happy that it is finally off of the ground.

To answer your question frdh, I'm staying with the OEM axle. The Metal Tech kit comes in multiple stages; I personally went with the 3 link setup with long travel MT springs, 12" travel (17"-29") Icon remote resi shocks, and 3" travel king air bumps. It also requires extended brake lines and a reroute of the exhaust. An Icon track bar and Currie Anti Rock sway bar will complement the package.

The front is staying IFS, but I elected to upgrade my Icon COs to ext travel remote resi's along with their upper A-arm and the Total Chaos lower A-arm. I also went with the All Pro spindle gussets as they allow one to retain the stock sway bar in front. King 2" travel air bumps will play the supporting role.

As I drive in the mountains a lot, I went with a 4.88 gear ratio in the diffs to spin the 35" Goodyear MTRs going on. They will wrap a set of Walker Evans with OMF rings and domes.

Other additions include front and rear DO bumpers, front ARB locker, and Vision X HID 8500s to perch the front bumper.

We'll see how it all comes together!

And thanks Jason for getting this thread started, appreciate it.

Jason

·
Wanderlust
4,157 Posts
It's great to see a couple of Icebergs getting the DeMello treatment at the same time. :bigthumb:
You'll love the King air bumps. I think JD was working on modifying the TC lower A arms to work with the TRD big brakes too.

·
Premium Member
17,641 Posts
Just trying to understand why the gas tank was pulled? From my discussions with Mark & LT it sounded as though the kit could be installed (new axle and all) without pulling anything (other than the oem axle if you were putting a new one in). The only other component that needs to be removed (other than suspension & frame components) is the exhuast & a new one installed.

If you can shed light on why that was done I'd appreciate it. Just curious since I'm droping mine off next week to basically have the same thing done.

·
Registered
500 Posts
It's great to see a couple of Icebergs getting the DeMello treatment at the same time. :bigthumb:
You'll love the King air bumps. I think JD was working on modifying the TC lower A arms to work with the TRD big brakes too.
Apparently the TC lower arms work with the big brake kit (may involve grinding portions down).

Check out the short bus he had it done:
http://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forums/member-build-ups/108574-short-bus.html

I messaged him and this was the response i got from him + TC

Here is the clarification I received from Total Chaos:
Thank you for your inquiry with Total Chaos Fabrication Inc. The kits were
designed on vehicles with the factory brake setups. As it turns out the TRD
"big brake kit" uses rotors that are quite a bit thicker then the factory
ones. This could lead to potential contact between the lower uniball
bolt/nut and the rotor at full compression. To check for this you would need
to remove the coilover and cycle the suspension to full bump. The end of the
bolt can be clearanced with a grinder if necessary.

WordFliesNverted:
I have had my FJ at full compression many times and have yet had any issues whatsoever. So, I don't buy that the TRD kit doesn't fit. I have been very happy with my TC kit other than the powder coating on the extended axles was weak at best and showed rust spots in a matter of days.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Thanks guys. The ideas and info for my build would not have been possible without this and similar forums and all the knowledgable members behind them.

As you know, almost every mod one makes to an FJ has a pro and a con, whether it's related to minimizing a weak link while exposing another, sacrificing a general application piece for a more specific/targeted one, etc. so there were some areas (like the axle) that I decided were adequate given my setup and the cost and of the alternative.

If I were going to upgrade the axle for instance, I would have opted for one wider than stock to allow for shock hoops and ultimately longer travel shocks. I wanted to keep the stock width and track of the vehicle as I wasn't going LT in front and I don't want to run spacers to make up the difference.

Jason

·
Registered
24 Posts
According to Jason D. and TC, the lower TC arms work with the TRD brake kit, although trimming of the lower bolt may be required, which is I guess why they put up the warning on their website...just to cover their bases.

And FJNewb, I too was under the impression that no gas tank adjustment was needed for the MT kit. I defer to Jason D as to the rationale behind it's removal.

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
4,232 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
R u going to reposition the gas tank?
No the gas tank should stay in the same place.

Looks like a stock axle. Thanks for the pics Jason. I'm droping mine off here in TX next week to have the MT 3 Link installed on a rockjock 60.

I take it everything needs to be pulled to install the kit? Or can the gas tank be left in place? Only reason I ask is that I'm thinking I might need to pull my MAF Aux tank as well.

I think the gas tank could have been left in place but when you are plasma cutting frames and grinding for hours it's best not to have a tank full of explosions so close to you:) I have welded on trucks before inches from the tank but it always makes me nervous. I will sleep better at night this way.

Hi,
I'm the owner of the truck. To give everyone some background, this build has been in the works for the better part of a year in terms of researching equipment appropriate for my desired applications, ensuring compatibility of all parts, reading threads and of course budgeting. I'm happy that it is finally off of the ground.

To answer your question frdh, I'm staying with the OEM axle. The Metal Tech kit comes in multiple stages; I personally went with the 3 link setup with long travel MT springs, 12" travel (17"-29") Icon remote resi shocks, and 3" travel king air bumps. It also requires extended brake lines and a reroute of the exhaust. An Icon track bar and Currie Anti Rock sway bar will complement the package.

The front is staying IFS, but I elected to upgrade my Icon COs to ext travel remote resi's along with their upper A-arm and the Total Chaos lower A-arm. I also went with the All Pro spindle gussets as they allow one to retain the stock sway bar in front. King 2" travel air bumps will play the supporting role.

As I drive in the mountains a lot, I went with a 4.88 gear ratio in the diffs to spin the 35" Goodyear MTRs going on. They will wrap a set of Walker Evans with OMF rings and domes.

Other additions include front and rear DO bumpers, front ARB locker, and Vision X HID 8500s to perch the front bumper.

We'll see how it all comes together!

And thanks Jason for getting this thread started, appreciate it.

Jason

Thanks for the detailed response. I left a few items out but will be filling them in as we go.:)

Haven't done it yet but, I know it will work so not to worried about it.

Just trying to understand why the gas tank was pulled? From my discussions with Mark & LT it sounded as though the kit could be installed (new axle and all) without pulling anything (other than the oem axle if you were putting a new one in). The only other component that needs to be removed (other than suspension & frame components) is the exhuast & a new one installed.

If you can shed light on why that was done I'd appreciate it. Just curious since I'm droping mine off next week to basically have the same thing done.

I explained above but really it just gives you more room to work. We don't have a lift here and it makes moving around under the FJ a little easier plus the threat of gas catching fire is not there.

·
Premium Member
4,232 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Couple more shots.

Got all 3 links mounted, did the cycling and found the upper cross member to hit the upper link at full bump. We could have lowered the mount on the frame, we could have lowered it on the axle but decided to notch out the cross member because we wanted the extra clearance for up travel. We still may have to do the previous options.

Here is a shot of the third link on the frame

A shot of the notch out.

Anther shot.

This one really shows how it lines up.

Here is a shot on the axle side, of course we are going to add more material but this is a starting point for it.

Lower link mounts axle side.

Cleaning the frame off for the air bumps.

Full bump.

Shocks and air bumps.

Front the truck is getting some love too. After the rear is done we will notch out the bump stop area for air bumps to stuff in there as well.

·
Registered
2,376 Posts
droool! want!

·
Premium Member
4,232 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Got a little more done yesterday.

Got the sway bar added and the bump stops tacked in place.

Were going to shorten the sway bar links, they clear find but just barely.

Were also going to recess the air bumps into the frame, they just barely kiss the tire at full stuff. We don't have the final wheel and tire combo mounted yet so we had to use anther 35in tall tire on a different rim to get a guesstimate of where it will be. Our sensor holders should be in today so we can double check the tire clearance, with the proper wheels and tires.

At full stuff the shock has a little room left for comfort:) and enough for articulating side to side.

Air bump to axle full bump for now, were going to push the air bump into the frame a little bit to make a hair more room.

Full droop.

Full stuff with the tire in place, plenty of room.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts