Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

41 - 56 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Thanks for throwing up some pics Thong, appreciate it. I've been meaning to get down to the shop to document progress, but work has sadly kept me pretty tied up.

Regarding why no LT in the front, primarily a cost issue. I had the Icon COs already, so I simply had them rebuilt to extended travel. The rear does include Metal Tech's new long travel coils as well as 12" travel Icons. I'm not going with hoops because I anticipate getting reasonably comparable travel numbers without the added width and additional hardware.

Thanks.
Jason

·
Premium Member
4,294 Posts
Regarding why no LT in the front, primarily a cost issue. I had the Icon COs already, so I simply had them rebuilt to extended travel. The rear does include Metal Tech's new long travel coils as well as 12" travel Icons. I'm not going with hoops because I anticipate getting reasonably comparable travel numbers without the added width and additional hardware.

Thanks.
Jason
Cool. Looks great, and I am sure there will not be too much performance loss with only 2" (or so) of travel loss in the front and a bit in the rear.

·
Wanderlust
4,158 Posts
JD asked me to post up a few more photos update since I was at the shop taking photos.

Kasey installing the front bumper

Kasey working on the 3-link rear suspension

Another shot of the new front end

·
Premium Member
4,232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #46 ·
Sorry been busy, but I have some pictures and numbers to post up.

First shot is the front suspension all back together.

Next shot is the rear drooped out.
Here are some numbers to chew on.

11.25in of bump to bump travel out of the rear.
My FJC has about 8.5in
Thongs FJC which is also here has the same.

This is running the 3link with Metal Techs rear coils and a daystar 1.5in spacer for the back. The limiting factors are the length of the coils and spacers for droop travel, this is the max you could get because the coils and the spacers would fall out with much more. You might be able to squeeze anther 1in out of the droop but you run the risk of the coils coming out.

Up travel actually has about 2in roughly to go up, BUT! you need to run MT shock hoop with a different length shock and you would need to re-work the lower link tabs on the axle to face down a little more so the lower links would clear the frame on full compression. As it sits right now there is .25in of space between the frame and the links at full compression. Our shocks at that point have about .5in of up travel left.

This next shot is a twisty shot. In this picture we measured from the lowest part of the bottom of the tire to the ground and got 22in. This is with the other 3 tires touching the ground. We could tweak it a little higher but the tires start to get air born so these numbers are proximate.

anther shot

Some of the frame plating we did to the link mounts.

Anther shot of the suspension about 90% complete, just a few more nuts and bolts to add/ check.

We should be doing our first test drive Friday or maybe Monday.

But everything is coming together great!

·
Premium Member
16,779 Posts

·
Registered
8,955 Posts
VERY NOICE !.... :cheers:

·
Wanderlust
4,158 Posts
11.25" vertical rear wheel travel is a lot of travel with large (35") tires and stock rear shock mounting points. Very well done Jason D. Can't wait to hear the results from the initial test drive. :bigthumb:

·
Premium Member
4,232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #51 ·
11.25" vertical rear wheel travel is a lot of travel with large (35") tires and stock rear shock mounting points. Very well done Jason D. Can't wait to hear the results from the initial test drive. :bigthumb:
Yes, I was very pleased with those numbers!

Just curious to see how it drives now.

The build took way longer than we expected it to take, there are just a lot of little things to take into consideration.

·
Premium Member
4,232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #55 ·
Thanks Thong.

I just wanted to add that this type of build isn't for everyone, it's not cheap and it's a lot of work. But for those that are interested please contact me and I can go over the details with you.
[email protected]

41 - 56 of 56 Posts