Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 20 of 197 Posts

·
Registered
2,324 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Meet and Greet at Hungry Valley SVRA!

:( Miller Jeep Trail has been closed -- reopening is date is unknown :(

Meet between 9:00 and 10:30 at the first parking lot at main north entrance. We will break into to groups and each will run a specific trail. We will then meet up at the 4x4 Practice Area for lunch. After lunch, the group wil hit the trail the other group ran. If there is time afterward, feel free to explore the rest of the area.

Directions:
Take the 5 FWY to the Gorman Exit
Go south on Gorman School Road
Make a right on Peace Valley Road
Left on Goldhill Road

The day pass is $5 and you may enter and exit the park.

There is a caravan leaving the Glendale Alcupulco at 8:30AM. Let Oscarr know if you are joining them.

I'm bringing donuts so don't forget to bring your coffee. It'll be cold out there.

There is a Carl's Junior at the Gorman Exit if you need to get some grub.

Let's use CB channel 20.

Blue Tonka and I ran Hungry Valley on Dec 1 to check it out. It's a really nice location and I'm looking forward to January 19th. Here's a highlight video of our run:

Welcome to Hungry Valley State Vehicular Recreation Area (SVRA). Hungry Valley is the second largest unit of California State Park's Off-Highway Motor Vehicle Recreation Division. Located in the Tejon Pass north of Los Angeles and along the Interstate 5 corridor, Hungry Valley offers 19,000 acres and over 130 miles of scenic trails for motorcycle, All-Terrain Vehicles (ATV), dune buggies, and 4x4 recreation. All levels of Off-Highway Vehicle (OHV) operator skills will be challenged by the wide variety of terrain and trails at Hungry Valley SVRA.
For more information, read websites below:
Hungry Valley - Dirtopia, the Off-Road Encyclopedia
Hungry Valley SVRA
Hungry Valley Gorman OHV Area Information Maps Pictures
Scanned Map of Hungry Valley

YouTube of the area:
YouTube - Touareg Rally in Hungry Valley
YouTube - TOYOTA FJ CRUISER Off-roading
YouTube - Is that an FJ Cruiser? Ever take it off any sweet jumps?

Interested in going on this trail, Jan 19th:

CannySage
RESE
Alans80
Blue Tonka
burbankFJ
CADavebert
FJamming
geo88
High-yo-silver
mir207
oscarr
SoCalOCFJ
twc13
Mtn_PIGG
spankbot
LBCAFJ
AUTO SHO
Many have shown interest!

With the potential size of this group, we may need to break in to three groups with one group heading towards Miller Jeep trail that morning. Any volunteers to take point for Miller Jeep Trail?

·
Registered
2,324 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Re: Hungry Valley SVRA - January 19, 2008

Is Miller J--p Trail on the menu for that day? The trail takes almost half a day to complete from what I read.

I might go tomorrow after church. I'll do more research and ask the rangers for more info. I'll also ask about Miller J**p Trail :) Also, Blue Tonka may know how long that run is.

·
Premium Member
18,479 Posts

Hungry Valley is very fun. Is this Fjammin's Trail run list?
You mean OUR trail run list.

btw, added.

·
Premium Member
18,479 Posts

Is there a reason it's starting so late in the day? We have precious little day light in the winter. I would prefer a very early start-esp. if we have Miller in mind.

·
Registered
2,324 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

Is there a reason it's starting so late in the day? We have precious little day light in the winter. I would prefer a very early start-esp. if we have Miller in mind.
Good point.

There have been different requests for earlier starts and leaving it as is.

We have plenty of time to decide and find a comfortable start time for everyone (near, far, early birds, and night owls).

I was planning to be there before 11AM anyway since it is only 1 hour away from me. Santa Clarita folks are lucky to be much closer.

What do you all prefer?
11:00AM Meet 12:30PM Run
10:00AM Meet 11:30AM Run
09:00AM Meet 10:30AM Run
(we can also run immediately and meet/eat later in the trail)

I'll continue to research the area and will make time to prerun before Jan 19th.

Tony, mod changed the thread name. Please add to the calendar at your convenience. Thanks dude! :D

·
Premium Member
18,479 Posts
No problem Eric. :)

Earlier the better. I may even consider camping there the night before. It's quite a trek to get out there from where I am.

9:00am please.

·
Premium Member
2,165 Posts
It is way out of phase with my normal work schedule. How about drive out from trailhead at like 10:30 and then eat / meet afterwards. 9am trail roll out is painful.

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
Keep in mind Miller Trail ends or starts at a very high altitude. Dutch Campground. There could be snow and the trail starting from Lockwood Valley takes 4 1/2 plus hours. A big group will make it longer. If you take the trail from Dutch campground you will be going downhill on Miller.

·
Premium Member
18,479 Posts
Dustpark, would you say that Miller is similar to Dishpan in terms of difficulty?

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
I really would like to come to this event. I think Miller is a great Hardcore trail. Dishpan is more tippy and short. Miller Jeep requires good traction and at least one Locker. Snow would make me nervous. If it's snowing the park would be great fun. Miller is really remote.

·
Registered
2,324 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
I really would like to come to this event. I think Miller is a great Hardcore trail. Dishpan is more tippy and short. Miller Jeep requires good traction and at least one Locker. Snow would make me nervous. If it's snowing the park would be great fun. Miller is really remote.
It would be great for you to join :D

Shooting for a "Hardcore trail" might desuade stockers and newbies. I want to make sure it's a good run for all levels. I'm still doing research and yes I am discovering Miller is on the tough side. Then again, anyone can "meet" up with us then "run" the more difficult trails. I do plan to prerun the location.

Regarding the time, how about?

9:00 Meet
10:30 Mir207 Arrives then we hit the trail
We can Meet again at the end of the day over dinner for those who have time to hang out.

I just had coffee with a J**per friend of mine and he doesn't recommend Miller in a stock rig. I'll continue researching.

·
Registered
211 Posts
I vote the earlier the better, how about 8:00!! More day light to do a lot of trails. I've never been to Hungry Valley so I would like to take in as much as possible.

1 - 20 of 197 Posts