Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 20 of 1286 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't really have any off roading buddys and the 2 that I have are both busy this weekend. I am interested in going out pretty much anywhere in SoCal this Saturday preferably. I am not new to off roading and I know what I'm doing out there if you don't I can show you the ropes a bit or I can learn something from you maybe lol but please someone help me I don't wanna go wheeling by myself this weekend lol pm me or post here and we can exchange numbers and decided on a trail that we would like to hit up.

·
Premium Member
89 Posts
It's a last-minute decision, but I am planning on wheeling in the ElPaso mountains on a quick day trip tomorrow. These are the mountains between 14 and 395 that is home to RedRock State Park, Last Chance Canyon, Garlock Benchmark, and Burro Schmidt's tunnel.

I'm planning on being at the Chevron station in City of Mojave around 9AM to gas up.

Here's a map of a portion of a previous day trip last month. I will likely hit most of the same trails.

If you're not familiar with the area, it's nothing hard-core but there are demanding enough sections for a relative newbie like me to give a sense of accomplishment. I'm stock with KO2s and Ricochet armor, which gets mildly thwacked a few times on the rocky sections of EP26 (MesquiteCynRd) north of the shelf.

Attachments

·
Registered
316 Posts
I can't go this weekend but would be willing to tag along sometime, I'm in Ventura. I also enjoy going to the Jaw Bone area

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

·
Registered
45 Posts
Gah I just saw this! I'm right by Silver Lake / Atwater / Glendale / Eagle Rock / Elysian Valley area lol anyone else around? Anyone willing to train a off road and new FJ owner newbie like me?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
89 Posts
Sounds like a day trip should be organized

I think I met @fireball at an off-road class. Rig looks familiar
Yes we should, and yes you did. :grin

As I recall, your rig at the time was a gorgeous stocker in absolutely mint condition. I didn't even recognize it with all the beautiful mods now! Nice work!

·
Premium Member
89 Posts
OK, I've pieced together most of the dashcam footage from the EP100/EP26 Mesquite Canyon Road run I did in the ElPaso's a couple of months ago. I've also accelerated it about 8x and edited out all the stops. I think it gives a decent overview of the type of "Advanced Newbie" terrain you'll encounter in a run there.

https://vimeo.com/153734522

It begins with a EP100/EP207/EP204 loop to Garlock Benchmark and the central hills, and a fast side trip up and back the EP15 wash to visit Bickel Camp.

The rockier stuff begins around the 11:00 minute mark after crossing the wash shelf.

As I said, the worst EP26 is nothing hardcore but has some 4-12" rocks in sections. You'll want some decent A/Ts for durability. You'll definitely thwack your skids a few times if you're running stock height like I am.

As you see in the vid, some great views going up and down the hill tops (3:00 to 5:00). You can use the embedded on-screen GPS coordinates to correlate location to Google overhead imagery if you want.

Let me know what you guys think!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,895 Posts
Yes we should, and yes you did. :grin

As I recall, your rig at the time was a gorgeous stocker in absolutely mint condition. I didn't even recognize it with all the beautiful mods now! Nice work!
Thanks, I haven't done much since the class but sounds like you are getting out there most weekends.

Love the sandstorm rig!

Anyone here interested in doing the Liebre Mountain Trail

Basically from Quail Lake to Lake Hughes

From Dirtopia:

The Liebre Mountain Trail starts at Quail Lake, California near the 138 and ends at Lake Hughes Road which is 0.4 miles to the south of the Pine Canyon Road intersection.
You can do this trail anytime of the year but the dry season is the best time to explore the surroundings. This is a long, winding yet easy trail offering some great views along the way.
After the starting point, the trail follows the Old Ridge route which was concretized but now has several potholes and is uneven at many places. Once you drive up you soon come to the dirt road which is a great route for 4WDs. ATVs and motorbikes. Even your 2WD can do this trial with ease. That is why the Liebre Mountain Trail is marked as a Back County Discovery Trail #1 within the Angeles National Forest.
The first part of the dirt trail takes you up to the Sandberg Mountain. This path is home to several varieties of oak trees like canyon, valley and interior live oak. Several of these sport parasitic mistletoe on them.
Off the main tracks you can choose one of the many side tracks that lead to the ridge top. These often end at campsites or viewpoints. The Pacific Crest National Scenic Trail, which is a non-motorized trail criss-crosses the main trail as well.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I would be interested in hitting some local SoCal Trails. I have a stock with off road and a limited amount of experience but a lot of interest. Set a date and time! - Jeff

·
Registered
84 Posts
I've been wanting to check out rowher flats. Would love to meet up sometime. As I'm always alone when wheeling.

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
Thanks, I haven't done much since the class but sounds like you are getting out there most weekends.

Love the sandstorm rig!

Anyone here interested in doing the Liebre Mountain Trail

Basically from Quail Lake to Lake Hughes

From Dirtopia:

The Liebre Mountain Trail starts at Quail Lake, California near the 138 and ends at Lake Hughes Road which is 0.4 miles to the south of the Pine Canyon Road intersection.
You can do this trail anytime of the year but the dry season is the best time to explore the surroundings. This is a long, winding yet easy trail offering some great views along the way.
After the starting point, the trail follows the Old Ridge route which was concretized but now has several potholes and is uneven at many places. Once you drive up you soon come to the dirt road which is a great route for 4WDs. ATVs and motorbikes. Even your 2WD can do this trial with ease. That is why the Liebre Mountain Trail is marked as a Back County Discovery Trail #1 within the Angeles National Forest.
The first part of the dirt trail takes you up to the Sandberg Mountain. This path is home to several varieties of oak trees like canyon, valley and interior live oak. Several of these sport parasitic mistletoe on them.
Off the main tracks you can choose one of the many side tracks that lead to the ridge top. These often end at campsites or viewpoints. The Pacific Crest National Scenic Trail, which is a non-motorized trail criss-crosses the main trail as well.

I' would be interested in this one. Saturday?

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
OK, I've pieced together most of the dashcam footage from the EP100/EP26 Mesquite Canyon Road run I did in the ElPaso's a couple of months ago. I've also accelerated it about 8x and edited out all the stops. I think it gives a decent overview of the type of "Advanced Newbie" terrain you'll encounter in a run there.

https://vimeo.com/153734522

It begins with a EP100/EP207/EP204 loop to Garlock Benchmark and the central hills, and a fast side trip up and back the EP15 wash to visit Bickel Camp.

The rockier stuff begins around the 11:00 minute mark after crossing the wash shelf.

As I said, the worst EP26 is nothing hardcore but has some 4-12" rocks in sections. You'll want some decent A/Ts for durability. You'll definitely thwack your skids a few times if you're running stock height like I am.

As you see in the vid, some great views going up and down the hill tops (3:00 to 5:00). You can use the embedded on-screen GPS coordinates to correlate location to Google overhead imagery if you want.

Let me know what you guys think!

Did you go to the talc mines? Also there are some abandoned cabins to the west of bikel camp plus Schmidt tunnel etc. tons of stuff. The video isn't working for me, it's a marketing video haha

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

1 - 20 of 1286 Posts