Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was planning on replacing my windshield and found a place called California Auto Glass in Pomona. They are a moblie service with locations in Santa Ana and Pomona. When I called, they quoted me $289.00 out the door and said that they will drive to where I am. Anyone ever use their services? Is it too good to be true?

·
Registered
1,884 Posts
I was planning on replacing my windshield and found a place called California Auto Glass in Pomona. They are a moblie service with locations in Santa Ana and Pomona. When I called, they quoted me $289.00 out the door and said that they will drive to where I am. Anyone ever use their services? Is it too good to be true?
thats a good price.most likely the windshield they want to sell is a aftermarket one not a Toyota one.Thats still pretty good.i found a place in van nuys that has a used Toyota windshield for 450 out the door.

·
Registered
2,788 Posts
Way to good to be true.. That's about what it costs to replace the little flat and simple windshield in a TJ. I believe the Toyota "kit-O-parts" is near $300.. I would look for someone with a lot of TJ experience or head to the dealer.. JMHO Ron

G

·
Local guy quoted me $350 for a PPG windshield with the moldings. I've used this guy on a few occasions and he's good.

-B

P.S. I forgot to mention that he also quoted me $250 for the no-name glass. However he suggested that the PPG was a much higher quality glass.

·
Premium Member
18,479 Posts
Mike, check to see if a molding kit is needed. If it is, make sure it's from the factory.

·
Registered
139 Posts
i would recommend the safelite in pasadena (walnut street). had my windshield replaced twice there. they are well experienced with the complexities of our fj's with all of the hood cowl parts and roof trim. i have a windshield replacement coverage on my insurance so my deductible is 100$. this includes the roof trim piece too. they said that about half of the times, they are able to remove that roof trim piece without damaging it. doesn't matter to me, since i get a new trim piece with my plan, but would be beneficial if you are paying the full costs, as they may be able to re-use that trim if they remove it successfully (but as i said, it's basically like a 50/50 chance.) windshield is not oem glass, as insurance won't cover that it is way more expensive for some reason. anyways the glass they've used holds up well.

·
Premium Member
189 Posts
If you're in SoCal, Alfredo is one of the best glass guys in the country. Absolute perfectionist--he takes no shortcuts on doing the FJ correctly. His shop and equipment is spotless.

He did my rig a few years ago and looks like it's time to book him again for another windshield.

Here's an early video of him doing an FJ. Make no mistake, the FJ is one of the most difficult windshields to replace properly.

Reactions: AKACG

·
Registered
139 Posts
If you're in SoCal, Alfredo is one of the best glass guys in the country. Absolute perfectionist--he takes no shortcuts on doing the FJ correctly. His shop and equipment is spotless.

He did my rig a few years ago and looks like it's time to book him again for another windshield.

Here's an early video of him doing an FJ. Make no mistake, the FJ is one of the most difficult windshields to replace properly.

do you have his shop location information?
thanks for the great video! i'm sure a lot of people in the glass industry would agree that the fj's are up there in difficulty level. for a vehicle that is so prone to chips/cracks, you would have thought toyota would have made replacing them a lot easier!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts