Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
660 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The time has come for me to get a new socket set. It will be mostly used for working on the rig. What say you my FJ brethren? Looking for a complete new set. Looking for quality and durability over cheapness. ex. If set A is $200 but will last 20 years vs set B which is $100 but only last 6 years, I'd rather have set A.

Thanks

·
Banned
2,479 Posts
IMO, there are some pretty good quality socket sets for less than $200 that come with lifetime warranties. Also, some of the formerly higher quality tool makers are no longer of the quality that their reputation would indicate.

I carry a huge set from Great Neck in my FJ that I picked up for around $50 a few years ago. I've used them quite a bit and have no complaints. I would at the very least put them above the quality of some of the lower-end (but higher priced...) sets from Craftsman. Good luck!

·
Registered
839 Posts
Just because my eyes are getting old, I'd make sure the sizes are easy to read on the sockets. Also I'd get the 6pt instead of the 12pt so you'll be less likely to round off any heads or have slippage. My craftsman set has served me well but there are other good quality makes.

·
Banned
2,479 Posts
Just because my eyes are getting old, I'd make sure the sizes are easy to read on the sockets. Also I'd get the 6pt instead of the 12pt so you'll be less likely to round off any heads or have slippage. My craftsman set has served me well but there are other good quality makes.
X2 on the 6pt. I've never had any problems with 6pt sockets (like the ones I have now), but plenty of frustration with 12pts.

·
Registered
163 Posts
I have always used Snap On ratchets and sockets but decided to put together a set for the FJ. After reading and shopping a good bit I bought the $179.00 set from Lowe's. They have a lifetime warranty and seem to be of a little better quality than the comparable cost tools from Craftsman. I really like the tear drop ratchets that came in the set. The only thing that I found strange was that the set does not include a 9/16 box and open end wrench which I purchased separately. This is the set that comes in the cardboard box instead of the premolded case. Also, I purchased two of the 18" wide mouth tool bags for about $39.00 each. One for tools and the other for recovery gear. They will fit behind the front seats on the floor board. My socket holders came from Sears. I also have a mixture of Great Neck and Everlast specialty tools such as 35mm socket, pull handles, seal puller, etc. Just shop around and you will find some deals. When Craftsman has another sale on their new style ratchets, I will be purchasing a set of those also. They feel good in the hands.

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
I believe best way is the combination like good set ratchet handle from Snap On alone with some regular used sockets than some Craftsman sockets and open ends. Remember if you buy this only for FJ you could buy the ones that Toyota uses for FJ.There are only a handfull of sizes and all metric and you might want to wait till Fathers day and start throwing some hints already!!

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
I've always been a big fan of Craftsman. If you break anything, it's got the liefetime warranty and can be returned at any Sears store. If you're looking for something a mobile tool kit, you might want to get something in a fitted case. An empty hole means you left something on the ground.

x2 on the 6 point sockets. :cheers:

·
Registered
218 Posts
The best sockets and socket wrenches I have owned were Craftsman. I have had 1/4",3/8",1/2" sets for over twenty years and I can't recall having broken or rounded off anything (and believe me I have tried). I don't do it often but, sometimes I use the wrong tool for the wrong job. Like using a 4' cheater bar on my 1/2" socket wrench. No problemo.

·
Registered
864 Posts
Not sure if it is fact or rumor, but I remember read/hearing that the tools sold at Lowe's under the "Cobalt" name are made side by side with Snap-on tools. They are just branded differently. I have quite a few Snap-on items and remember thinking the ratchets looks very similar in handle and head design before I hear this "rumor". The price in descent and lift time warranty, I keep some of these tools in my home toolbox. At work I have all my big money stuff, the Cobalt stuff holds up fine on the trail and around the house. :cheers:

·
Registered
5,029 Posts
what sizes do you want? 3/8 drive i am assuming. metric and a american sets? or just $200 for a metric only? you can find great deals on snap-on, mac, matco online. i prefer snap-on or cornwell when it comes to sockets. i am a big snap-on fan, but for the average DIYer, you can get a better deal on mac or matco.

do you want some good ratchets too? those will be prob another $200 for a pair of decent ratchets.

·
Registered
660 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for the all the info. I am looking to completely replace everything.

·
Registered
4,337 Posts
You can't go wrong with Craftsman, and you can usually find nice sets on sale.

·
Premium Member
3,185 Posts
Kobalt (with a K) from Lowe's is not the quality of Snap-On. The finish isn't as good. The fit-up isn't as precise. I bought a bunch of these for throwing in the FJC, so that I'd stop raping the collections in my garage which are predominantly Craftsman. I've had no problems with the Kobalt products and they've had a fair amount of use, although not nearly as much as my garage tools. I used Snap-On when I worked in the diving industry. It truly is a better tool.

I'm always an advocate of starting with a plan and then working backward to see what tools you would need to have in order to complete the plan. In the case of off-road gear, I recommend to think about those specific mechanical repairs that you may be required to do in the field, and then define your response by knowing the procedure, and having the tools to do it. If you would be unable to do the field repair, then formulate a plan based on not doing the repair.

With general use tools, it's a bit hard to say NOT to carry something based on not having a specific procedure that utilizes it, because the most tool time that you'll see on the trail is helping out with other people's breakage. That's always how it is.

·
Registered
2,815 Posts
Craftsman sets are on sale now. The 263pc set is a good starting point. Start with something like this and add as you go along. I like to keep a separate roadtrip set of less expensive tools. If I lose or give some away, it's no big deal. Ron

X2, Wait for a sale...

·
Registered
56 Posts
I have a Craftsman mechanic's socket set. I can't remember how many pieces but suits my needs and has the laser etched large socket size labels. Comes in its own case and has all the standard and metric sockets I think I'll ever need though with a Japanese vehicle I think I'll only use the 10, 12 and 14mm sockets LOL. I think the price was very reasonable as well.

I'd love to have Snap-On but out of my price range for what I do on my cars which is far from having a repair shop.

·
Banned
2,479 Posts
Not sure if it is fact or rumor, but I remember read/hearing that the tools sold at Lowe's under the "Cobalt" name are made side by side with Snap-on tools. They are just branded differently. I have quite a few Snap-on items and remember thinking the ratchets looks very similar in handle and head design before I hear this "rumor". The price in descent and lift time warranty, I keep some of these tools in my home toolbox. At work I have all my big money stuff, the Cobalt stuff holds up fine on the trail and around the house. :cheers:
I have a Lowe's Kobalt rachet and socket set for my garage and they are great quality and a good price. The reason I carry my Great Neck set instead of the Kobalt set in the FJ is due to the plastic case. The Kobalt sockets (purchase a few years ago so the design may have changed) do not snap into the carrying case and I can't tell you how many times I've upset the case spilling all of the sockets onto the ground - what a PIA! The Great Neck case keeps all of the tools snapped into place, but I'd have to give the edge in quality to Kobalt.

Both sets have the lifetime warranty - as do all fairly good quality made tools these days. That was one of the huge selling points for Craftsman tools a couple of decades ago, but now, IMO, their quality has dropped from what they used to be and their lifetime warranty is nothing exceptional.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Not sure if it is fact or rumor, but I remember read/hearing that the tools sold at Lowe's under the "Cobalt" name are made side by side with Snap-on tools. They are just branded differently.
This was half true about 5 years ago. Williams, a subsidary of Snap-on, used to make these until they lost the contract a few years ago. They were never the same as Snap-on branded tools. Now the OEM is Danaher.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Like others, I would recommend one of the Craftsman sets that cost around $200. The Sears warrantee has fewer restrictions than those of other retailers and they have so much product out there that their tool associates will actually know how to take your return. (Read the fine print on the warrantees.)

After you have a good set like that, there are few things you should add:
1) The longest breaker bar you can find for each drive size. There will always be a time when you need more leverage than your ratchet can provide.
2) A good set of extensions and swivels.
3) An expensive premium truck brand 3/8" flex head long-handle ratchet. A good one will run you almost $100 but you will become your tool of choice.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts