Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
864 Posts
This was half true about 5 years ago. Williams, a subsidary of Snap-on, used to make these until they lost the contract a few years ago. They were never the same as Snap-on branded tools. Now the OEM is Danaher.

That is about when I heard the story, so I was feeding everyone old info.

Public apology.

Sorry guys.:mecry:

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
IMO there is Snap-On and then there are all the rest.

Craftsman is OK and they will replace it when it breaks which is no help in the field. And the Snap-On probably would not have broken in the first place.

·
Registered
4,117 Posts

Craftsman is OK and they will replace it when it breaks which is no help in the field. And the Snap-On probably would not have broken in the first place.
I agree, but I could either buy a Snap-On set, or buy a Craftsman set and an FJ Cruiser. :rofl:

·
Registered
3,231 Posts

Snap-On pulled out of the shop where I work...too many broken tools.

·
Registered
5,029 Posts
Snap-On pulled out of the shop where I work...too many broken tools.
i have never had to return a snap-on tool. but like all things, if you abuse them, they break. a lot of what gets broken in the shops i have worked at is due to laziness. its from people being too lazy to get up and get the right tool for the job. all tools have a purpose, when you use them for something other than that purpose, bad things usually happen.

·
Registered
393 Posts
The best socket set I have ever owned was made by S-K Wayne. I don't know the details, but it's no longer S-K Wayne, but just S-K instead. The quality is not what it once was. The S-K tools are very good, but the original versions were superb. I've abused the hell out of them using cheater bars and pounded the sockets onto rounded off nuts with not even a hint of a problem. The design of the tools is just as important as the durability. No pear shaped rachet heads for me. I want the round ones only. I want the sizes stamped boldly on the sockets. Nothing worse than not being able to read the damn things. That's a sure sign of cheap ****.

·
Registered
5,029 Posts
The best socket set I have ever owned was made by S-K Wayne. I don't know the details, but it's no longer S-K Wayne, but just S-K instead. The quality is not what it once was. The S-K tools are very good, but the original versions were superb. I've abused the hell out of them using cheater bars and pounded the sockets onto rounded off nuts with not even a hint of a problem. The design of the tools is just as important as the durability. No pear shaped rachet heads for me. I want the round ones only. I want the sizes stamped boldly on the sockets. Nothing worse than not being able to read the damn things. That's a sure sign of cheap ****.
my dad has a lot of s-k. i am not a big fan. he's big onto cornwell tho. they make some nice stuff.

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
I agree, but I could either buy a Snap-On set, or buy a Craftsman set and an FJ Cruiser. :rofl:
thats true! I got the new Snap-On catalog 1000 the other day and the full-up set was about $39,000 with roll cab, top chest and wall cab for pullerset.

Without the puller kit you can get by for about $33k Then of course you need a $660 butcherbock top for the rollcab and $799 vise.

Its a real good vise though.

·
Registered
3,231 Posts
i have never had to return a snap-on tool. but like all things, if you abuse them, they break. a lot of what gets broken in the shops i have worked at is due to laziness. its from people being too lazy to get up and get the right tool for the job. all tools have a purpose, when you use them for something other than that purpose, bad things usually happen.
You hit the nail right on the head there bro...the guys I work with are a bunch of animals. I myself have never had a problem with Snap-On and they're pretty too. :cheers:

·
Registered
3,231 Posts
X2, In 1966 I got my first set of S-K Wayne 6 point sockets and box wrenches...still got 'em and still going strong...I wish I could say that for me...:lol:

·
Registered
393 Posts
X2, In 1966 I got my first set of S-K Wayne 6 point sockets and box wrenches...still got 'em and still going strong...I wish I could say that for me...:lol:

Got mine in 1967! S-K Wayne 1/2" drive socket set, plus a 12 pt. deep socket set, 1/4" drive socket set w/standard sockets and deeps, full set of combination box end/open end wrenches. Still have them all. These were my very first tool purchases. I worked at a hardware store in high school and got them with my employee discount. An old timer that worked there recommended the S-K's. Had to order them special. Never lost or broke a single piece to date. I don't lend them out ever. All are S-K Wayne and matched sets. Good stuff and now irreplaceable.

·
Registered
3,231 Posts
Got mine in 1967! S-K Wayne 1/2" drive socket set, plus a 12 pt. deep socket set, 1/4" drive socket set w/standard sockets and deeps, full set of combination box end/open end wrenches. Still have them all. These were my very first tool purchases. I worked at a hardware store in high school and got them with my employee discount. An old timer that worked there recommended the S-K's. Had to order them special. Never lost or broke a single piece to date. I don't lend them out ever. All are S-K Wayne and matched sets. Good stuff and now irreplaceable.
Amen to that...I've never lost any or lend out any of mine either. Some of the guys I work are losing or breaking tools all the time. I guess they don't have the same work ethic. :cheers:

21 - 33 of 33 Posts