Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
41 - 60 of 66 Posts
Discussion starter · #44 ·
Bought myself a 100metre reel of Dyneema for some more shackles and a couple of winch lines. After much hunting, price and spec comparisons etc I settled on Marlow (made here in the UK) D12 Max in 9mm gibing the right balance of strength and size.

The min break load of the rope is 10,000kgs/22,000lbs, ave break is 10,800kgs/23,800lbs giving a shackle strength at ave break load of a shade under 48,000lbs.

The armour coating proved a bit of a challenge being like tying straw, but soon got back in the stride. Once I get into it they're fun to make. I'll sell them at about cost to cover the expense of the reel.

Attachments

Bought myself a 100metre reel of Dyneema for some more shackles and a couple of winch lines. After much hunting, price and spec comparisons etc I settled on Marlow (made here in the UK) D12 Max in 9mm gibing the right balance of strength and size.

The min break load of the rope is 10,000kgs/22,000lbs, ave break is 10,800kgs/23,800lbs giving a shackle strength at ave break load of a shade under 48,000lbs.

The armour coating proved a bit of a challenge being like tying straw, but soon got back in the stride. Once I get into it they're fun to make. I'll sell them at about cost to cover the expense of the reel.
Ship to U.S.? If so, I'd be interested in a pair. :cheers:

Yes can ship anywhere in the world. They're nice and light!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
She shipped some to me - much better made than any others I've seen, and yes, they're very light so shipping costs should be minimal. 6 cost me about $10 in shipping.

Discussion starter · #49 ·
She shipped some to me - much better made than any others I've seen, and yes, they're very light so shipping costs should be minimal. 6 cost me about $10 in shipping.
Thank you. The 9mm ones are not as neat as the 8mm as the rope is much stiffer with the different coating but still pleased with them and they're nearly double the strength of the 8mm.

I'm in too, PM sent.

Discussion starter · #56 ·
I keep meaning to post and say thank-you so much for taking the time to make and send out my shackles Sarah..they look AWESOME! I hope I never have to 'need' them[emoji12]
View attachment 905250

Sent from my NiPhone
Thank you. Glad they arrived safely and that you like them.

Discussion starter · #57 ·
Been trying to find the best solution for chafe sleeving (you can of course use them without).

The orange and lime is hollow weave similar to the protective sleeving on double braid ropes. Only problem is the only place I can find it is Australia or by buying double braid and stripping it off... So the purple is the sleeving used on endless lifting slings, the one tonne is perfect width (limiting the colour choice to purple). It's bulkier on the shackle but probably tougher than the woven sleeve... both have their advantages.

I've also increased the amount of rope in each shackle, partly to enable to knot to be tied with the extra thickness and stiffness of the Marlow rope and also adding a little extra length.

Attachments

Discussion starter · #60 ·
Thank you so much, Zero'sFJ, for your wonderful soft shackles!!!

I love mine, it looks like it could be used to pull almost anything. :)

Now I've got to go and get stuck (or go and find someone stuck) and get some awesome use.

thanks,
Norm
Thank you. Glad you like it.

41 - 60 of 66 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.