Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With a quality coil over set up costing 3500 - 5000 dollars, wouldn't the solid axle swap be nearly the same cost or even less if you had the skills to set up the geometry yourself? I mean heck I have read tons of posts from members who have been through 3 or 4 lift experiments at a cost of thousands. The principal must be similar to the mid 90's Toyota IFS to solid axle conversion. None of it takes a rocket science just a solid mechanical background, tools and some beer to your buddy who always knows more than you! :cheers:

·
Premium Member
2,753 Posts
I'm not sure but It seems the SAS just for parts (quality) is like 10 large +.
I'd take the long travel kit personally over the SAS if somebody was giving me my choice.

I'm interested to see the costs side by side.

·
Premium Member
17,639 Posts
Completely depends on the quality of parts you select. Could probably do it for $5k for an extreme budget build (used axles and other parts), assuming you don't have to purchase any tools.

You do realize that to setup a similar suspension to these $3k-$5k IFS front ends your into the coilovers for $1k alone. That leaves $4k at best for the rest of your parts (axle, links, steering, etc.)....budget build its possible...but something with a bit more quality, you are well past that.

For reference I can do a 3.5" kit, fiberglass fenders, and and a paint job, including labor for much less than I was quoted to do a SA conversion.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Completely depends on the quality of parts you select. Could probably do it for $5k for an extreme budget build (used axles and other parts), assuming you don't have to purchase any tools.

You do realize that to setup a similar suspension to these $3k-$5k IFS front ends your into the coilovers for $1k alone. That leaves $4k at best for the rest of your parts (axle, links, steering, etc.)....budget build its possible...but something with a bit more quality, you are well past that.

For reference I can do a 3.5" kit, fiberglass fenders, and and a paint job, including labor for much less than I was quoted to do a SA conversion.
I was hoping you would reply. You obviously know your stuff. Thanks for your input.

·
Premium Member
4,051 Posts
Next time I see the owner of this 4Runner, I will ask him how much did he spend for his solid axle conversion and lift.

·
Premium Member
16,779 Posts

Just adding on to what Brian said, it also depends if you are going to do a full long travel front end setup as well.

If you are just doing high-end coilovers, UCA, and high end rear suspension, a setup like the stage 2 ICON kit is close to 3,000 (if you were to include labor, probably 3500 total). For 95% of people, this would be more then adequate.

Where as if you are doing a SAS, since there are no kits, everything will be custom, which means more expensive.
First, new or used axle. Something like a Dana 44 (or equivalent) would be fine up to 35inch tires but something like a Dana 60 (or equivalent) should be used if going with 37s or up.
Gears, lockers, links, joints, coils, and shocks, metal for all of the mounts, etc.
Then the big kicker is the labor. You'd have to ask a shop like All-Pro or Demello for pricing on a SAS (labor wise) for something like this on an FJC.

I seriously was considering doing this to my FJC. When i started to price things out and got quotes for labor i was looking at a minimum of 10 grand from local shops.

I decided to buy a Land Cruiser with a SFA instead for less money :lol:

·
Premium Member
17,639 Posts
So for reference a 2" LT IFS kit would run you around ~$6k when said and done (labor included). Add in a locker and gears and you are at close to $9k.

A quick cost comparison on what I'd consider running as a SA swap....D44's out of the question imo when you look how they hold up on jeeps which weigh a good bit less from the get go, and I'd assume if you are going SA, then you'd at least go 37" tires.

Currie D60 - $4500 (Doesn't include everything)
Bearing Kit - $150
Gears - $300
ARB - $1000
Brackets and links - $1500
Coilovers - $2000
Steering - $700
Hydraulic Assist - $1000

So right off the bat I was looking at a $11k in parts costs alone (probably missing some from that list as well). Then factor in all the labor cost associated with a custom job like that and you really start to see the deviation in the cost of a SA setup vs. LT IFS. You'd be looking at anywhere from $4k - $6k in labor. Best case is probably ending up around $15k and worst case is getting close to $25k (trust me its easy to start spending money on upgrades once you start diving into the project).

Then comes the other question...if you are upgrading the front axle and running 37s than you rear is significantly undersized for the weight and tries that you'll be running...so that has to go imo as well...slippery slope.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts