Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My FJ is a year old and smells like an old shoe. It's my fault - several times per week, I (and possibly as many as 3 other guys) pile in after mtn. biking, running, etc. Even toweling off, changing shirts, etc. isn't cutting it - the gear, the clothes... us... The truck just stinks.

The gear never stays in the FJ - out as soon as I'm home. I clean the truck often... even using Febreeze... still reaks.

What's the solution? Wet Okoles? Leather? Stop riding so much? Those pine-scented trees... 20 of them?

Thanks.

·
Registered
5,160 Posts
Your seats more than likely need to be cleaned and rinsed with an upholstery extractor (steam cleaner).

Ask a detail shop to help you out.

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
Take out the in cab air filter and put pine tree smelly things in them weekly..soon you will smell like a NEW CAR:rofl: the in cab air filter just so ya know is behind the glove box.

·
Premium Member
708 Posts
Jesus, stop eating bean burritos before your trail runs. :bigthumb:

In all seriousness, I had the same problem until I tied my hiking buddies to the bumper instead of letting them in my xterra. They were a little banged up, but I'll be damned if that smell didn't vanish.

1. Find cleaner friends.

2. Steam clean your current upholstery, then get some Wet Okole seatcovers. Wet Okoles come off easy for a toss in the washing machine. They also have a specific cleaning product that neutralizes odor in their neoprene. It can be applied in the wash or directly on the seat while in the vehicle. Solved my problems and my hiking cohorts were much happier to ride IN the vehicle instead of strapped to my hood.

Wet Okole FTW - the best $550 you'll ever spend... not to mention, they look cool as hell too.

Toyota SUV Seat Covers

Howls,
FJ Wolf

·
Premium Member
2,477 Posts
I got a Glade plug in air freshner for the converter in the back : ]

·
Registered
630 Posts

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
that is a good idea! I'm serious about the in cab air filter too it works:D

·
Registered
5,160 Posts
You could always have it fogged with this stuff

Sporicidin® has been used in hospital, medical and dental environments since 1978 and provide 100% kill of disease and odor-causing organisms.
:thinkerg:

·
Registered
1,731 Posts
Soap, water and a good deoderant always works for me. ....:bigthumb:

·
Registered
413 Posts
One easy to try item - a spray bottle of Febreze from the grocery or other store. Just spray on, and the odor goes away for a long time. I've had good results with it in several cars. If odor is persistent, spray on a little extra, and wipe it off. A bottle costs only about $6-7.

If this doesn't work, try the steam cleaning. I suppose the easiest way to do this, might be to rent the carpet cleaner, and do the seats with the upholstery wand. They probably have some solution to add, for deodorizing.

·
Registered
872 Posts
Jesus, stop eating bean burritos before your trail runs. :bigthumb:

In all seriousness, I had the same problem until I tied my hiking buddies to the bumper instead of letting them in my xterra. They were a little banged up, but I'll be damned if that smell didn't vanish.

1. Find cleaner friends.

2. Steam clean your current upholstery, then get some Wet Okole seatcovers. Wet Okoles come off easy for a toss in the washing machine. They also have a specific cleaning product that neutralizes odor in their neoprene. It can be applied in the wash or directly on the seat while in the vehicle. Solved my problems and my hiking cohorts were much happier to ride IN the vehicle instead of strapped to my hood.

Wet Okole FTW - the best $550 you'll ever spend... not to mention, they look cool as hell too.

Toyota SUV Seat Covers

Howls,
FJ Wolf
I've been thinking of getting a set of those as I do a bunch of kayaking... But... They seem like they'd be warm as hell being made of neoprene?

·
Registered
37 Posts
I'm in the same boat. My sweet, dear husband left a small container of milk in the FJ when he was picking up a Happy Meal one day. Long story short, the bottle exploded from the combination of the AZ heat and curdle process and it's never been the same, even after a complete detail with the upholstery steam cleaned. My non-parent friends always comment that it smells like a combination of baby, sour milk and wet dog, and the dogs ride MAYBE about 4 times out of the year.

I like the plug-in idea in the back. I think I'm going to try that because nothing else I've tried has worked.

·
Premium Member
708 Posts
I've been thinking of getting a set of those as I do a bunch of kayaking... But... They seem like they'd be warm as hell being made of neoprene?
They aren't as bad as you might think. The overall "feel" of sitting in them took a little getting used to (kinda stiff, not soft upholstery), but unless it was brutally hot out or I was driving for 8 hours straight without getting out and stretching for a few minutes, I never noticed them being uncomfortable.

The incredible protection I got from my ice-climbing gear, wet dog, muddy pants and hiking boots, etc. made them worth every penny. It is a lot easier to throw these bad boys in the washing machine than it is to steam clean or spot clean an xterra seat.

Howls,
FJ Wolf

·
Banned
2,984 Posts
You also might want to clean your AC system. If you use it moderately, you will build up that shoe-funk rather quickly. That could be contributing to your issue as well.

·
Registered
2,280 Posts
I got 2 smelly dogs that stink up the car. I throw a couple fabric softeners sheets under the seats and a couple in the cargo area. Works well for a couple weeks.
This is exactly what i was going to sugjest. Iv'e been doing this for years. All my friends always ask what "air freshener" i use.:lol:

You could always have it fogged with this stuff

When i worked at ar dealerships the detailers would use this stuff to get the smoke smell out of used cars. Works really well.

Sporicidin® has been used in hospital, medical and dental environments since 1978 and provide 100% kill of disease and odor-causing organisms.
:thinkerg:
When i worked at ar dealerships the detailers would use this stuff to get the smoke smell out of used cars. Works really well.

One easy to try item - a spray bottle of Febreze from the grocery or other store. Just spray on, and the odor goes away for a long time. I've had good results with it in several cars. If odor is persistent, spray on a little extra, and wipe it off. A bottle costs only about $6-7.

If this doesn't work, try the steam cleaning. I suppose the easiest way to do this, might be to rent the carpet cleaner, and do the seats with the upholstery wand. They probably have some solution to add, for deodorizing.

He already meantioned he tried febreze with no sucsess. But in normal cercumstances, it does work really well.

·
Registered
599 Posts
Lotsa good advice. Seat covers are great, and they can wash, and you eliminate alot of odors that way.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts