Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,412 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm considering this hand held CB does anyone have any thoughts on it? Thoughts on hand held CB's in general? I have never owned a hand held and am curious if they qualify for events that require a cb? I already ran the wire and a Bandi mount installed on the back but my CB came in "DOA" so I sent it back and am now considering a hand held CB and will just mount an LED back up light on the Bandi mount.

Thoughts. My budget is under $250 unless there is a great reason to spend double that. lol

http://www.amazon.com/Midland-75-822-Channel-CB-Way-Radio/dp/B00000K2YR/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1403874832&sr=8-1&keywords=midland+cb+radio+75-822

·
Premium Member
2,456 Posts
I really like my Midland 75-822 which is both as you know. (By both I mean handheld and portable) I used it as a portable in my backyard just to test it and it worked great. I'm about 1 mile from I-71 and .5 miles from 315 and could get reception/transmission no problem. It works even better when I hook it up to the coax in the FJ with the 4' Firestik Firefly.

EDIT: BTW - no need to re-purpose your Bandi mount - just hook the Midland up to it if you already ran the coax. It'll work great. I've got a SWR meter if you need to borrow it in order to make sure you've got things set up right. It could be lots of things. The PL-259 connector, kinked coax, bad connection on the Bandi mount, poor ground, etc...

·
Premium Member
4,682 Posts
I used the Midland 75-822 on my first group offroading run, I put it in one of the cupholders and the engine blocked most transmissions from the front of the group. I could hear people behind me just fine, and my transmission range was pretty limited. If you put it on the dashboard you'll be able to hear people in front of you.

Before the run I wasn't sure if I wanted to get a CB, after a day of running it as the handheld I knew that I had to put a proper antenna on the truck. Check the CB install thread in my sig, it uses that Midland with a bandi mount. The focus of my install was to have the truck clean / clutter-free when the radio wasn't in use, and I'm really happy with the results.

·
Registered
641 Posts
Lots of great advice here. Just reinforcing what has basically already been said -- you have a very good CB, but without an external antenna your transmit/receive range will be very limited while sitting in the FJ.

·
Registered
371 Posts
I too run a Midland 75-822, bandi antenna mount and a 4' firestick. I bought a $1 cell phone mount to attach it to my dash. I also have a 7' firestick I use on the trail. I also just got a HAM and plan on taking the HAM license test at the Summit. I mounted both mics the same way.

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
Lots of Midland 75-822 users on here. Great radio with great portability and storing ability. as others have mentioned jsut use your existing line that you ran and plug it into the midland hard wire adapter. you may need some conversion adapters, and @Jimmy-buffet 's install will help you out. Also, suggest reaching out to @Vegas_Nick and he can help you out as the CB master that he is.

·
Registered
702 Posts
Lots of Midland 75-822 users on here. Great radio with great portability and storing ability. as others have mentioned jsut use your existing line that you ran and plug it into the midland hard wire adapter. you may need some conversion adapters, and @Jimmy-buffet 's install will help you out. Also, suggest reaching out to @Vegas_Nick and he can help you out as the CB master that he is.
^^ X2 and I purchased the whole kit which included everything from Vegas Nick. He is a great source for info and product.

·
Registered
3,079 Posts
I'm considering this hand held CB does anyone have any thoughts on it? Thoughts on hand held CB's in general? I have never owned a hand held and am curious if they qualify for events that require a cb? I already ran the wire and a Bandi mount installed on the back but my CB came in "DOA" so I sent it back and am now considering a hand held CB and will just mount an LED back up light on the Bandi mount.

Thoughts. My budget is under $250 unless there is a great reason to spend double that. lol

Amazon.com : Midland 75-822 40 Channel CB-Way Radio : Two Way Radios : Electronics
First off, would you send me your "DOA" radio? LOL

If you already have an external antenna, you simply can't beat the 75-822. To me, (from trail experience) It sounds better than the Cobra 75 and although equal in power and modulation numbers I feel it completely outperforms the 75 on the trail. Most people love them because you can either install an antenna jack or just tuck the coax under the center console whne not in use and the radio is out of sight and out of mind.

One word of caution when buying this thing, especially on Amazon is to make sure it is NEW and not refurb. The factory refurb unit costs about $25 less than new and I have seen them marketed as new.

·
Premium Member
3,409 Posts
^^ X2 and I purchased the whole kit which included everything from Vegas Nick. He is a great source for info and product.
I got my Midland from Vega$ Nick, too. Bought the Summit Special on a Saturday night and it was on my doorstop on Wednesday morning.

Added bonuses:
  • he's a forum member
  • he's a radio nerd
  • I can call him at 3AM on his personal home phone if I'm having radio issues

1 - 12 of 12 Posts