Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My fiancé and I are planning a little road trip and I’d love to have your advice and feedback.
Here’s our plan:
Two weeks, roughly 16 days is what we’ve come up with. Tent camping the entire trip. No hotel, motel, holiday inn (if we can ovoid it). I’ll be curious to see how long we can last on an air mattress.
Leave just north of Cbus OH around the 2nd weekend of September and head west. Our planned route is WI, MN, SD, WY, CO and maybe UT and end at the Grand Canyon and then make our way back to OH.
We’re hitting all the normal tourists spots along the way. Badlands National Park, Devils tower, Mount Rushmore, Yellow Stone, Four Corners and the Grand Canyon. We basically have our route and things we want to see along the the way until we hit Colorado. Our problem is we know that there are a ton of things to do and see in Colorado and Utah. I’ve done a ton of research on here looking at pictures reading posts and we’re having issues trying to decide our best options. I’m guessing we’ll have about 2-3 days to spend there. Any input that anyone has would be greatly appreciated.
My FJ is stock FWIW. Here is a pic of our basic route.
Thank you in advance!
Josh

Attachments

·
Registered
2,369 Posts
That's a needle in a haystack kind of question. Colorado is a big state with a "ton of things to see and do". I live in SW Colorado so I'll limit my suggestions to this area. Visit the San Juans in September for the fall colors. Silverton and Ouray and all the 4x4 trails in that area. Pick up a copy of Chuck Wells guidebook for trail info. The Black Canyon of the Gunnison is a favorite of mine. Suggest the NGS Atlas that locates all the best rec spots in every state. Drive as many high passes as you can fit in your schedule.

·
Registered
25 Posts
All I can say is smart choice avoiding Kansas!

Only advice I can offer is make sure to route/know where gas stations are. That always presents an issue for me when I'm driving long distances. Also bring a tire pressure guage, you never know if you'll need it, better safe than sorry.

Other than that looks like a solid trip!

·
Premium Member
443 Posts
You might consider heading through Moab, UT and take in Canyonlands and Arches National parks, and then crossing the Rockies on I70. Of course, then you would miss a whole hunk of Colorado, which is also beautiful country. Choices are a b!tch sometimes.

·
Admin
6,863 Posts
Skip the big cities in Colorado and go to Ouray and do some trails.

I also would not miss the opportunity to explore Moab either.

:cheers:

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That's a needle in a haystack kind of question. Colorado is a big state with a "ton of things to see and do". I live in SW Colorado so I'll limit my suggestions to this area. Visit the San Juans in September for the fall colors. Silverton and Ouray and all the 4x4 trails in that area. Pick up a copy of Chuck Wells guidebook for trail info. The Black Canyon of the Gunnison is a favorite of mine. Suggest the NGS Atlas that locates all the best rec spots in every state. Drive as many high passes as you can fit in your schedule.
We have the Atlas. I just dont want to get into something I cant get out of by our ourselves. I assume that all the "easy" trails in Chuck books should be ok?

You might consider heading through Moab, UT and take in Canyonlands and Arches National parks, and then crossing the Rockies on I70. Of course, then you would miss a whole hunk of Colorado, which is also beautiful country. Choices are a b!tch sometimes.
I think that those are on the short list for next time we head that way. Maybe by then I'll have some aftermarket parts on the FJ to really be able to have some fun. And yes they are!!

Skip the big cities in Colorado and go to Ouray and do some trails.

I also would not miss the opportunity to explore Moab either.

:cheers:
Thats kind of what we're aiming towards. The map I posted was just a really rough draft.

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
Wells book ratings are pretty conservative, you'll be fine.

·
Premium Member
4,705 Posts
Thats kind of what we're aiming towards. The map I posted was just a really rough draft.
+1 for @Winterpeg 's suggestion about doing trails around Ouray, at a bare minimum I'd run Black Bear from Hwy 550 to Telluride then run Imogene back from Telluride to Ouray. If you are fine with camping 2 nights in Ouray (night before that run, then night of) then you can camp anywhere around Ouray that Summit attendees normally do. Check out the clearing at 38.015169, -107.653488, it's super close to town and plenty of room up there if it gets crowded.

Once done in Ouray I'd continue north on 550 to Montrose then turn east on Hwy 50 to check out Black Canyon of the Gunnison per @Ace Brown 's suggestion. Then continue to head east toward your planned route, check out Royal Gorge near Canon City then do a short detour south to Bishop Castle. It's a cool local attraction.

Once you have the exact dates and when you expect to head through Colorado, once you're near the front range (Denver, Colorado Springs) if you're coming through on a weekend and want to do a run with the local FJ club ( https://www.facebook.com/groups/ColoradoFJCruisers/ ) we could probably accommodate you. We've got runs going on all month, but mainly on the weekends.

·
Forum Beer Miester
3,650 Posts
+1 for @Winterpeg 's suggestion about doing trails around Ouray, at a bare minimum I'd run Black Bear from Hwy 550 to Telluride then run Imogene back from Telluride to Ouray. If you are fine with camping 2 nights in Ouray (night before that run, then night of) then you can camp anywhere around Ouray that Summit attendees normally do. Check out the clearing at 38.015169, -107.653488, it's super close to town and plenty of room up there if it gets crowded.

Once done in Ouray I'd continue north on 550 to Montrose then turn east on Hwy 50 to check out Black Canyon of the Gunnison per @Ace Brown 's suggestion. Then continue to head east toward your planned route, check out Royal Gorge near Canon City then do a short detour south to Bishop Castle. It's a cool local attraction.

Once you have the exact dates and when you expect to head through Colorado, once you're near the front range (Denver, Colorado Springs) if you're coming through on a weekend and want to do a run with the local FJ club ( https://www.facebook.com/groups/ColoradoFJCruisers/ ) we could probably accommodate you. We've got runs going on all month, but mainly on the weekends.
X's 2 on this, the drive along the Arkansas river is beautiful as well and you really have to see Royal Gorge if you pass that way. I've wheeled with Jimmy and these are great guys, I highly recommend you take em up on the offer if you have any reservations about wheeling alone.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

I'll for sure be getting a hold of you. Looks like we'll be getting in on Saturday the 16th.
I don't do Facebook, but if I can message you on here or something along those lines that would be great.
Thanks for the info! :rocker:

·
I Have a V-8!! Moderator
28,837 Posts
Unless you are going across that section of WY and need to go to Denver and that area, you can continue right on through from Yellowstone on highway 191 into Teton park and Jackson, WY. The last I knew you didn't have to pay any fees unless you stopped to hike or turned off the main road to go exploring as that is a main highway through the state. That road also will take you right down into Moab since it passes right through the center of town. If you are going to Ouray there is a nice route from there or Moab to WY also. Just depends on the route you want to take and direction you are going. Also depending on the time you are passing through there are several areas that you can pull off the highway to camp and even use as a dirt side trip to reach other areas and to reconnect with the main highway.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Unless you are going across that section of WY and need to go to Denver and that area, you can continue right on through from Yellowstone on highway 191 into Teton park and Jackson, WY. The last I knew you didn't have to pay any fees unless you stopped to hike or turned off the main road to go exploring as that is a main highway through the state. That road also will take you right down into Moab since it passes right through the center of town. If you are going to Ouray there is a nice route from there or Moab to WY also. Just depends on the route you want to take and direction you are going. Also depending on the time you are passing through there are several areas that you can pull off the highway to camp and even use as a dirt side trip to reach other areas and to reconnect with the main highway.
Thanks! That looks to be the way we are going to go. After seeing your posts and pics from that area we are definitely going to check that out. I remember something about some good spots around La Barge that you had mentioned at some point.

·
I Have a V-8!! Moderator
28,837 Posts
Thanks! That looks to be the way we are going to go. After seeing your posts and pics from that area we are definitely going to check that out. I remember something about some good spots around La Barge that you had mentioned at some point.
La Barge Creek Road all the way up to Alpine is dirt road. Lots of spots to pull over and dry camp. Some spots have tables and fire rings too although the fire danger is high so having a fire might not be allowed. Just a few yards past the meadow to the north is the divide and then the start of the Greys River. You can enter this road from the south about 1 mile before La Barge or if you are heading south from Jackson you'll hit the Hoback Junction and then head west to Alpine down through the canyon along the Snake River. When you hit Alpine you'll turn left and then just after crossing the bridge there are signs for the Greys River Road and that's where you enter.

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Rock+Springs,+WY+82901/La+Barge+Creek+Rd,+La+Barge,+WY+83123/Labarge+Meadows/Alpine,+WY/Jackson,+WY/@42.4963016,-111.2293599,8z/data=!3m1!4b1!4m32!4m31!1m5!1m1!1s0x875a58e8f5c28b19:0x725fe8127303770!2m2!1d-109.2029043!2d41.5874644!1m5!1m1!1s0x8756e1adbf5c8671:0x674bb336593f770e!2m2!1d-110.2832025!2d42.2241876!1m5!1m1!1s0x87565f94c10183f3:0x5155bdbbc5b4bd94!2m2!1d-110.687125!2d42.5085436!1m5!1m1!1s0x535350155a6b12f3:0x935e7f43bbd944c1!2m2!1d-111.0164822!2d43.1610946!1m5!1m1!1s0x53531a58fccf7f4b:0x3d1c01cbb13a835c!2m2!1d-110.7624282!2d43.4799291!3e0

This is an alternate route. When you are heading north you'll pass the divide and the start of the Greys River. After a few miles you'll come to a cement bridge with a big, almost unreadable sign, that has Sheep Creek and then markers for FS RD 10125 and that takes you up over the McDougal Gap/Pass and then out through some beautiful country. You'll eventually come to a junction with the road going right or left and you'll go left. You will pass a gate arch to a ranch very shortly and then you'll know you are on the right road and you'll be up on a big flat area with the mountains to the left and flat land to the right. After a few miles you'll come to some houses and a junction again. Turn left and then just a short drive later turn right. The road will be dirt for several miles and then you'll hit pavement for a few miles until you come out and meet highway 189. You'll turn left and Daniel and the junction with highway 191 will be about 1 1/2 and 2 miles. Turn left there to go towards Jackson. If you are heading south then you can just reverse those directions and then you'll come out at the La Barge Creek Road.

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Rock+Springs,+WY+82901/La+Barge+Creek+Rd,+La+Barge,+WY+83123/Labarge+Meadows/Forest+Rd+10125,+Wyoming/Daniel,+WY/Jackson,+WY/@42.4963016,-111.1163543,8z/data=!3m1!4b1!4m38!4m37!1m5!1m1!1s0x875a58e8f5c28b19:0x725fe8127303770!2m2!1d-109.2029043!2d41.5874644!1m5!1m1!1s0x8756e1adbf5c8671:0x674bb336593f770e!2m2!1d-110.2832025!2d42.2241876!1m5!1m1!1s0x87565f94c10183f3:0x5155bdbbc5b4bd94!2m2!1d-110.687125!2d42.5085436!1m5!1m1!1s0x875638ec7347e05d:0xe5f401378636da23!2m2!1d-110.5897208!2d42.8362108!1m5!1m1!1s0x8757b8e32b15a923:0xf0715a8d8c860a12!2m2!1d-110.070994!2d42.8643854!1m5!1m1!1s0x53531a58fccf7f4b:0x3d1c01cbb13a835c!2m2!1d-110.7624282!2d43.4799291!3e0

Before heading into this area make sure you are topped off with fuel and have water with you. There are places you can get to the creek and what not, but you'll need to be able to filter and clean it since they do graze cattle up that way. Gas and stores are available at Alpine, Daniel, and La Barge. Of the two routes I used to go to Alpine all of the time and then I found the route over McDougal and that's usually the way I go now. I love the mountains and it's very pretty up there. Alpine is nice and the big reservoir is right there too along with restaurants and stuff if you like that. If you take the Alpine route, the drive up to the top of McDougal and then down to the bridge on the river looking back up the meadow at the mountain is well worth the detour before turning back and returning to the Greys River Road and then onward again.

·
I Have a V-8!! Moderator
28,837 Posts
1 - 17 of 17 Posts