Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
630 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
BEFORE (stock)

AFTER (not stock)

BEFORE...

AFTER...

BEFORE...

AFTER...

BEFORE...

AFTER...

·
Registered
255 Posts
Very nice BC. What paint did you use for the blacked out parts? I am very close to blacking out mine also.

·
Registered
630 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Very nice BC. What paint did you use for the blacked out parts? I am very close to blacking out mine also.
Rustoleum Textured Flat Black for Plastic. Used a few coats of Adhesion Promoter first. So far it is wearing like iron. By the way, I like your BC as well. Nice job.

·
Registered
6,957 Posts
What a difference new rims and tread does!!! Looks really good!

·
Full -N- Down
641 Posts
The lift also fixed the drivers side droop. It was really noticeable on the stock shot of the back. I like the black out as well. Looks nice.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Nice!

·
FJ Expeditions R Us
4,084 Posts
Great job! Your FJ is awesome!

cheers,

dale

·
Kokopelli Moderator
3,236 Posts
Great looking FJ! I also like the front brushguard--where did you get it?

·
Premium Member
9,345 Posts
:cheers:
Luv seeing more mod'd Black Cherry's on here.

I blacked out my mirrors this past weekend and replaced the door handles with the black Tundras. The grille is next.

Looks great!

·
Registered
255 Posts
How much are the tundra door handles? Has anyone used a clear coat , or does it add too much shine.
Here's another pic of my Black Cherry.

Plan on blacking out soon.

Have really enjoyed moddy the FJ. My mid-life crisis.

·
Registered
630 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
How much are the tundra door handles? Has anyone used a clear coat , or does it add too much shine.
Plan on blacking out soon.

Of all the parts that you can "black-out", the easiest by far are the door handles. Seriously,I don't know why people get the Tundra handles. The FJ handles can literally be removed in seconds (meaning under a minute). A couple quick coats of paint and it's done. But, hey.......do what you like.:bigthumb:

·
Premium Member
9,345 Posts

I think I paid around $40 for the pair and that also included the keyhole covers. Check with supporting vendor: Genuine Toyota Parts and Accessories wholesale to the public.

Of all the parts that you can "black-out", the easiest by far are the door handles. Seriously,I don't know why people get the Tundra handles. The FJ handles can literally be removed in seconds (meaning under a minute). A couple quick coats of paint and it's done. But, hey.......do what you like.:bigthumb:
Very true and a great option. I was just concerned that the spray paint on the handles would scratch and/or peel from so much use.

·
Premium Member
2,797 Posts
Pretty Black Cherry. I like the wheels.

·
Registered
2,822 Posts
Your tires stick out alot its going to spray icky stuff on your doors, even on street puddles. I suggest some fender flares.

·
Registered
630 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Your tires stick out alot its going to spray icky stuff on your doors, even on street puddles. I suggest some fender flares.
They do stick out......but not that much. Maybe an inch? I like that look, but you are right, my front doors do get "sprayed" even with the smallest of puddles. How much were your fender flares, and how hard were they to install?

·
Registered
255 Posts
I wasn't thinking it was too hard to get the handles off. Thinking that the factory finish on the handles may hold up better to the constant handling. Started to tape off the bumper wings but decided to see about removing them along with the handles and mirrors. Fell it would be easier to get a consistent finish. Any one book mark the rear bumper wing removal thread??
Thanks
Larry

·
Premium Member
9,345 Posts
I wasn't thinking it was too hard to get the handles off. Thinking that the factory finish on the handles may hold up better to the constant handling. Started to tape off the bumper wings but decided to see about removing them along with the handles and mirrors. Fell it would be easier to get a consistent finish. Any one book mark the rear bumper wing removal thread??
Thanks
Larry
Actually the black ones are molded black, not painted. Never have to worry about scratches or peeling.

Here is the rear bumper removal thread:

http://www.fjcruiserforums.com/foru...tech/17142-how-remove-rear-bumper-fascia.html

1 - 20 of 30 Posts