Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am getting new wheels and plan on getting black Gorilla lugs and locks. Gorilla's website is overwhelming. I searched through the forums and had a couple of questions.

In addition to the key for the locks, is a special wrench required? I read in one thread that a Gorilla wrench was required.

Are getting all special locks in place of lugs overkill? A guy at 4Wheel parts recommended I just get all locks.

What's the main difference between the Acorn and Acorn bulge? In general, are these interchangable? The wheel manufacturer said that I need a lug with a 60 degree conical. Both the acorns at Gorilla's website have 60 degree conicals.

Should I get a smaller hex? I assume that the smaller the hex, the easier I can fit the wrench without scratching up the wheels.

·
Registered
6,954 Posts
I would purchase one lock for each rim, as far as I know the special key loc has a standard size end that will fit your lug wrench same size as your other lugs and the other end the key for your keyed lugs. Most lugs are the acorn type that centers the rim to the hub. You can buy narrower or longer lugs if you like, you can still scratch things if your not careful or if you use air impacts to remove or replace.

If someone really wants your rims they will be gone in a new york second, most theives have universal lock sets....

·
Registered
521 Posts
I have black gorilla lugs and locks. I actually called them to order. They have a 5 lock kit for all your rims and they are keyed a like. I haven't had any problems. They still look new, no rust (2 years old). And they have a lifetime warentee.

As for the locks...they may slow the bad guys down a little.

Call them up and they will know what lugs will work with your FJ's wheel and tire package.

Here is the size that I got.
12mm x 1.50 acorn

Check out this thread too: http://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forums/wheels-tires/21571-gorilla-lug-nuts.html

·
Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys.

I plan on getting locks as a theft deterrent and to slow the bad guys down. I know that if someone wants something they'll get it. But whatever I do to prevent it will give me a sense of security. That's why I lock my doors.

So I'm guessing you guys don't have to use a special wrench?

·
Registered
166 Posts
It's not a special wrench, but there is a special socket...it's easy, though. If you get dealer or shop work done you just leave it with them and they use it no problem.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts