Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I thought this might be a good way to kick things off as an intro...

Below is an FJ we did for a local customer who wanted something very unique and completely blacked out. We sprayed the entitre vehicle with Gatorhyde Polyurea from our sister company, Gatorhyde of Issaquah. To complete the look we blacked out the tail lamps and front marker turn signals. Next step is full Bi-Xenon HID's, coated running boards and a custom grill.

Our next customer spends quite a bit of time off roading and wanted a winch and bumper combo that would not weigh down the front of his FJ. We installed a Body Armor bumper, warn winch combo with 2 pairs of driving lights , one set of 6k BiXenon HID's,and one set of Hella Celis Driving lamps. We prepped and sprayed the bumper with Gatorhyde Polyurea and wired three switches and 3 relay systems. We also installed a brand new optima battery to keep up with everything. He liked the coating so much we ended up doing each side-

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's a protective coating that can be used for a variety of applications one of them being bedlining...the most obvious of course. We have done motorcycles, trailers and all sorts of different applications. Gatorhyde is the brand name, the actual chemical is Polyurea. It was a lot of fun doing these. The silver FJ kept getting scratched on the sides from trees and branches...so it was much easier to coat it rather than repainting it. This way it won't scratch-

·
Registered
500 Posts
Looks almost like an off-road BatMobile...

·
Registered
201 Posts
Wow that's cool! I have always thought I'd love to do just that when mine gets too scratched up. How much would it run to coat a whole FJ like that? I always wanted to do just that with an old FJ... Cool to see it done on a new one!!!

·
Registered
298 Posts
I like the idea of a tough coating to help keep scratches and gouges down. I like the bumper rig up as well.

·
Premium Member
3,257 Posts

The first thought that popped into my brain when I saw this was 'Man, that looks like a charcoal briquette on wheels'... :lol:

To each his own, I reckon. But, like kiskat23 asked, does it come in any other colors? If so, then the Polyurea would be a good candidate once the sides get to the point where you need a new paint job (and repeat the pinstripe process all over again)...

But down here in Texas, with that black coating, I'd bet you'll feel like a charcoal briquette after sitting inside during August... heh heh.

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
Neat thread.
I LOVE this stuff on the bumpers. But not so sure on the main body panels. Although I'd not hesitate to go bombing though the more narrow trails with this treatment.
Maybe an OD Green would be more suitable...

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Guys,

We can spray this in colors which isn't too much of an issue. This can be painted as well....

Most folks chose this because they were scratching their paint pretty bad and knew it would continue. Everyone has been very pleased with our work and it's performance.

We will have a new website coming soon regarding this part of our business.

GatorHyde of Issaquah - Spray In Truck Bed Liner and more!

·
Premium Member
3,257 Posts
Thanks for the response, regarding the colors.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
How does this compare to Line-X and do you have a ballpark range for doing a whole FJ?

I looked at LineX before we decided on Gatorhyde. The chemicals are somewhat similar however I believe the CG we use is a bit stronger and more resistant to UV than most of the competitors. More importantly we really take a different path in applying our coatings.

Depending on how long it takes to mask and remove parts it can be as high as $4000.00. It's a full day of masking and prepping.

·
Registered
201 Posts
:clap: Damn that red looks nice! Can you do a green color? A matt olive green would be awesome! I love my FJ & love the whole TRD paint think but it sure is a pain to buff out scratches all the time & wax wax wax! I don't go down a lot of trails now that are narrow for just that reason. It sure would be nice to not have to live with that nervouss cringe every time I came close to manzanita & tree branches!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts