Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
644 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I was told different stories about going wheeling all afternoon. Do you really have to bring it home and spend all day/night taking it apart to clean out all the mud and water? I used to LOVE blasting through mudholes in my Wrangler, and I NEVER took it apart to clean it. I had it one year before I traded it in, and I never really ran into any problems I could blame on 4 wheeling.

The thing is, I am an excellent wheelman, meaning I can navigate all kinds of terrain or obstacles with anything with a steering wheel, lol. But other than knowing how to drive a 4x4, I don't know anything else.

If I bought an FJ, it'd be destroyed within a year. Help me out guys, how do you go wheeling for the weekend??? :confused: :confused:

·
Premium Member
1,098 Posts
Tone said:
If I bought an FJ, it'd be destroyed within a year. Help me out guys, how do you go wheeling for the weekend??? :confused: :confused:

Blasphemy!!! Percy, get the rope!

Tone, I generally try to wash off as much as possible being lazy using one hand while eating a hot dog in the other. We actually constructed a nice drive over under carriage spray bar to wash the hard to reach places.

So, I would say... At LEAST rinse it off when you're done. Think of it like your other head, Tone.>> Sure.. you can go and slosh it around for days on end.. But do you really want to put it to bed dirty every night?

But, if you don't care MUCH for it.. you can just park it all muddy like I do the one GT-Four.. aka.. Little Red Bastard. That one doesn't sleep good unless it's droppin' clumps of mud on the garage floor during the night.

Case Closed.

(Percy, where's mah hook?)

·
Registered
232 Posts
Look for a commercial carwash with high-pressure undercarriage jets and make the mud theirs! During the winter, I get mine washed regularly to get the salt off. Not so this winter, though.....no snow, no rain, 60 degrees outside.

·
Registered
2,874 Posts
Truck washes work REAL nice. The big commercial jobbers, plus, sometimes they have people waiting who for like $20 or $30 will shine all your chrome and clean your wheels really well.

Beats gettin' your driveway all nasty and being fined by the water police. You guys probably don't have water police to worry about though.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Percy said:
Truck washes work REAL nice. The big commercial jobbers, plus, sometimes they have people waiting who for like $20 or $30 will shine all your chrome and clean your wheels really well.

Beats gettin' your driveway all nasty and being fined by the water police. You guys probably don't have water police to worry about though.

Percy, try cruising through the Bellagio fountain!

·
Registered
2,874 Posts
Water police: These are nazi's that drive around in trucks and ticket you if your outdoor faucet is dripping or if there is visible water flowing from your yard down the gutter. Crazy, I know. But the fines can get really steep. Your only allowed to water like one day a week for 15 minutes. If you are watering on an off day, ticket. If you don't have the right kind of low-use system, ticket. It's nuts. You can only get by with washing your car safely at a car wash that recycles their water.

That's the pain of living in a desert. Right now, I haven't watered at all in like 3 months and it will take at least that long to get the yard back in shape. I need to spend about $100 at the greenhouse and get some fertilizer and some seed and try to recover the lawn before it gets too hot.

·
Registered
2,874 Posts
Well, it's a rental and it came with grass, so I can either try and keep the grass alive or hassle the landlord to let me put in rock and work with me on paying for it... neither are much fun, but sneaking in an extra day of watering is a bit cheaper than putting in rock and succulents - besides, EVERYONE has rocks and succulents so you do grow a bit weary of looking at it. Believe it or not FAKE grass is increasingly popular out here. Looks retarded, but people seem to love it.

Can you imagine trying to hose off your FJ over fake grass? Then you'd have to hose of the fake grass.... LAME!

·
Registered
18 Posts
I too own a wrangler, and Im sure, like my wrangler, there are somethings that you need to keep clean. After Mudding, YOU HAVE TO wash out behind the tires. Leaving mud caked up in your breaks and wheels is the quickest way to burn out your bearings.

As for everything else, Ill have to wait and see just where mud gets too. I know with my wrangler, it doesnt matter, mud gets in everything. I clean the engine every once in a while, but the wheels and tires has to be done, and soon.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts