Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My son recently joined the Air Force and got his permanent duty station in Colorado Springs. He had an 08 2Wd Maroon FJ with 265/70/16s, no lift.
I had the silver 08 4wd, 285/70/17 with a Toyotec 3" lift, backup camera, Cazzio leather seat covers, Sprint Booster, Baja Rack etc........

Guess what proud dads do....? Yep, he drove off in my 4wd (from GA) to CO with my 95k mile FJ and I am here with his 210k 2WD. Small price to pay, HOWEVER, I want to fix my new project up to be a daily driver with a better look. 80% pavement and I already ordered the seat covers, Sprint Booster, Rock sliders and original FJ mats. I am really, really wanting to set it up like my/HIS FJ ( insert sad face emoticon here) however I bought it lifted. I believe it had the Toyotec lift kit on it. I really want a stock, or better ride and want the 285s back on my rig. I am not mechanical (enough to get myself in trouble) I certainly was able to bolt on the rock slider/running boards without losing a finger. I have read that the OME is the way to go for a reasonably priced 3" lift with a solid ride. Is there a complete kit for this I can purchase and take to my local shop and have them install without me forgetting parts that are crucial?

Leaning toward the Nitto Tera Grapplers or Cooper AT3s to finish it out.

Thoughts? Opinions please

·
Registered
1,917 Posts
My advice. Sell it and buy another 4WD FJ. I understand why you swapped with him, but better to cut bait and get exactly what you want. High mileage and 2WD is not a good platform to start with.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
EXACTLY what I want to do.......In a year. 24 year old daughter just got engaged and I have a large wedding to pay for.

Definitely on the hunt to a TTUE 12 months from now.

Thanks for the reply!!

·
トヨタ Master
6,896 Posts
I was going to suggest and SAS until you mentioned paying for a wedding. Unless of course you can talk her into a Justice of the Peace ceremony in your back yard?! :cool:

·
トヨタ Master
6,896 Posts
Told my daughter if I pay for hers it'll be a hoedown.

I don't think she's gonna take me up on it. LOL

·
トヨタ Master
6,896 Posts
You could do the whole prerunner setup with that 2wd. That would be kinda cool!

Long travel suspension, Magnuson supercharger, Locked rear, etc.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
As a Father I commend your sacrifice. Hope he appreciates it and am sure he will do well in the Air Force if he follows your example.
No real advice. Just wanted to say thank you for setting an example.
Good Luck.
Thanks for the kind words. We are SO proud of this young man. Space force in CO Springs. Defense shield stuff. Very cool!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts