Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
565 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My second skin install is almost done. I just gotta hit the doors, but the rain is killing us right now. maybe when I get home from this next trip down the road.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Can you post your pics on this thread? That would make it easier if you want people to see your install.

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
Holy crap. You must be used to a Lexus :).

Let us know how it turns out...

Do you have the factory sub?

·
Registered
565 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)

Two layers in the ceiling and the floor. one layer of most of the rear quarters. Spectrum on the roof and rear cargo area. sprayfoam in the ceiling ribs, and the cubbys inside the quarters. Then a layer of overkill pro on the ceiling and the cargo area.

I am impressed. The bass sounds like bass with no rattling or flexing of the roof anymore. I also read that the spectrum takes about a week to fully cure so it should get better. I still have to do the front doors , and the backdoor was covered in damplifier pro everywhere I could get it. Then I stuffed the door full of R-13 insulation ( R value is irrelevant, it was what was on sale at home depot ) very tight, use a socket extension to help pack it in good. that door feels like a vault door, very solid and very quiet. I did not cover the access holes yet, I am saving what mat I have left for the fronts. If I have have any left or when I order more I will touch up the back door a bit more. I still can hear the exhaust just a little bit, but no where near as loud.

Yes I compared my truck to a Lexus interior, My ex is on her third lexus now, so I know how quiet a car can be and I think this is a worth while improvement, but it is VERY labor intensive.

oh- 2 Alpine Type-R 12" subs. MRD-M1005 amp. factory sub is a joke. So are the roof speakers. I wish now I would have photographed those for you guys to see.

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
Sounds like an incredible install. Pics dont work...maybe its because I am at work and its blocking them, I will have to check it out at home. How much would you say all this sound deadening cost you?

·
Registered
565 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
with shipping I spent 977.00 dollars from second skin, plus some spray foam, some insulation and I bought dynaxorb to put bend the dash speakers, the rear pillar speakers, and the door speakers. so all in all about 1100.00

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
with shipping I spent 977.00 dollars from second skin, plus some spray foam, some insulation and I bought dynaxorb to put bend the dash speakers, the rear pillar speakers, and the door speakers. so all in all about 1100.00
Oh my god!!! Money well spent for you, not for me. I don't have much money. Good mod though. I will have to look into this slowly. Noise doesn't bother me, but I do want my sound system to sound better so I will do the roof.

·
Registered
565 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
In order to do the roof, you pretty much have to take everything out to pull the headliner without damaging it. So you mind as well wait until you can do it all. especially the rear door and the quarters, those are hollow cans that resonate horribly

·
Formerly FJ_Marine
6,237 Posts
In order to do the roof, you pretty much have to take everything out to pull the headliner without damaging it. So you mind as well wait until you can do it all. especially the rear door and the quarters, those are hollow cans that resonate horribly

Hollow cans, Kewl.........perfect fit for my tin ears, lol.

Awesome work, not something I would do because I am half deaf after the last 16 years in the Marine Corps. However, I sure do admire the craftsmanship put into this.

·
Registered
565 Posts

·
Premium Member
170 Posts
When I had my car done they did everything except the rear door -- I'd love to know how to do that if someone could walk me through it.

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
When I had my car done they did everything except the rear door -- I'd love to know how to do that if someone could walk me through it.
Take the rear panel off, and put up sound deadener :silly: Thats how you do it!!!

But when you take the rear panel off, there is a clear plastic "wrap" around all the components. Not sure if you want to reuse that...probably protects all the electrical from dampness. I am sure you can rip that off and then deaden it and then use another kind of plastic, or be careful taking off the original, it rips and warps pretty easily..

Am I thinking about the same rear door?

·
Registered
565 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
the doors, but I forgot to get pics of the suicide doors, but I did them basically the same as the rear door, damp-pro and insulation. when you tap the outside of the doors now they "thud" not a hollow sounding "boing"......

I love it, worth every penny. !!!!!!

thats it, 196 sq. ft. damplifier pro. 36 sq. ft. of over kill pro. 8- 6" dynaxorb squares behind all the highs. 1 gallon of spectrum, and 2 cans of spray foam, and about a half a roll of R-13 insulation. The only thing I wish I would have done was stuffed the rear quarters with insulation, they still sound a little hollow when you tap un the outside in some places. I may go back and do this soon. of course, the backseat top and bottom has to come out, the rear cargo mat has to come out and all four rear plastic panels. about 3 hrs labor total to do it all from start to finish.

·
Registered
465 Posts
Thanks for the right up. I think I am going to be using this as my guide when I tackle mine. How did you like the Spectrum? Did you apply it with a paint brush? How many coats did you use? How thick did you go? Thanks and sorry for all the questions, I think I am going to try to do mine soon.

1 - 20 of 60 Posts