Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been thinking about improving the FJammer 9-speaker system, without outlaying a lot of cash on a custom system, and came across these the other day:

Sound Processors at Crutchfield.com

Are they worth considering for enhancing the existing factory system? Or, would the money be better spent on a new head unit??

·
Premium Member
419 Posts
How much do you like the stock system's features? I think you can do a lot with a processor, outboard amp and new speakers. In the end you will probably spend about the same as just replacing the head unit (with something that can power four speakers) and the speakers.

·
Premium Member
3,257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
How much do you like the stock system's features? I think you can do a lot with a processor, outboard amp and new speakers. In the end you will probably spend about the same as just replacing the head unit (with something that can power four speakers) and the speakers.
Yeah, I'm beginning to come to that conclusion, too. Especially after you consider the fact that once you get a clean signal it makes sense to amplify that signal to some quality speakers.

Sigh... just trying not to go overboard with a new system. But, looks like it's all or nothing...

·
Premium Member
3,257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I've already replaced the 6x9's in the doors, and it was a vast improvement (although some minor door metal grinding was necessary, to use the same factory mounting holes).

Maybe if I'm a good boy this year Santa will bring me a nice system. :)

·
Registered
2,313 Posts
The only way this will work is if you buy a bunch of amplifiers. And new speakers if you want. There is no way that you can insert a processor into a factory stereo. The stereo would need a preamp in/out loop for this to work. Since most car stereos dont feature this option like many home stereos do. It would be better to upgrade the entire system or simply just do without. Take your $150-300 dollars and spend elseware. Good luck.

·
Registered
5,027 Posts
a decent processor, decent amp, and decent speakers will be about 5x what replacing the head unit with something decent will cost.

·
Registered
5,027 Posts
Not really worth it...some line OUTPUT converters will actually "amplify" your system via their little gain knobs...but in my opinon they degrade sound, a Line DRIVER isn't really made for a stock system. Save up for a new HU, heck if I was you I'd shell out the $ right now (even if I didn't have it) because the Pionner D3's are DIRT cheap right now and they are a killer headunit. And in about a month, they will all be gone, and be replaced by Pionner F-Series of "Flash memory" head units...bleh.
he wasnt talking about a line driver, a processor. line drivers dont degrade sound if used properly. a gain knob doesnt amplify anything. and as far as line drivers go, they dont improve the actual sound, they just amplify the original signal.

·
Premium Member
893 Posts
I agree 100 per cent spend your money on an amp set-up and some new speakers.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.