Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Premium Member
445 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Loneuglyfish (Brian) has brought up the idea of starting a club down here. Since we see alot of the same crew (with some new additions) at our gatherings, I think it may be a good idea. Even though we are pretty much spread out over Dade,Broward, Palm, and the west coast, I still think the idea of "South Florida Cruisers" works. Post up if you have any interest-depending on the feedback, I was thinking we don't need to be too formal-just some meet-ups,plan and post our rides (as we have been) and maybe help a brother install some new mods. Of course we'll need to come up with some type of logo (project!)-KID

·
Registered
1,943 Posts
If you want to run a decent, easy to use forum, here are some ideas.

I have been using Lunarpages for hosting for a long time.

Personal and Small Business Hosting at Lunarpages - Low Cost Web Hosting

About $5 a month, lets you have MANY forums and all sorts of stuff! I ran several forums at once, with one of them turning over lots and lots data and hits per month. No problems.

GoDaddy.com for cheapest domain.

Then SMF for a really easy good and Forum system. FREE!
Home of SMF: Free PHP and MySQL forum software

SMF has MANY FREE modifications and I found it easier than any other forum software to set up and use.

That is what FJCFL was made with. It has been dead for a while, but I made several Forums with this setup.

FJ Cruisers Florida
I gave this one to Corey about a year ago. duh! Just before he sold his FJC. lol :boohoo:

If you have any questions about it, I could answer them, it you want.

BTW: I have nothing to do with any of these businesses.

-----

PaulThePhotographer

·
Premium Member
501 Posts
I'm game only don't want to be branded as a wuss lol as I can't stand seeing dirt on mine. I'm located in Margate.
Hi I'm Jim and I confess I'm a mall crawler!

·
Registered
900 Posts
FL Is pretty large if you think about a guy in Key West trying to make it to Jacksonville for a run! Ill start working on a SMF for SFC, thanx paul

This doesn't have to be just for wheeling, guys! We can do tech and install meets also! ;)

OK so name is good? any other input before I start? and anyone wanna photo shop some logo designs and we can take a poll on them too would be great! I asked my friend who made those event stickers if he had any good ideas...

Also would a $20 member fee a year be cool with everyone? this would allow for a better web sight and more stickers!!!!

·
Registered
1,943 Posts
FL Is pretty large if you think about a guy in Key West trying to make it to Jacksonville for a run! Ill start working on a SMF for SFC, thanx paul

This doesn't have to be just for wheeling, guys! We can do tech and install meets also! ;)
We had a section you only see if you were a guest, then an added section that only FJCFL members could see. And then the "TRUSTED" section where we posted our secret spots and wheeling.

There are a couple must have mods for SMF, IMHO.

Aeva Media, for playing YouTube, or Vimeo (or almost any other video) by just inserting the url, plus they now also include a photo gallery.

Simple Portal: A great fully customizable start page, and/or side panels.

There are more but that is the main ones.

Like I said if you have any questions about SMF, just email me.

I see you are actually signed up at FJCFL. So if you log in there and ask me questions I can show you more, because I still have Admin rights on Corey's FJCFL. Bwaaa haaaa haaa

If you are interested email me or PM me.

-----

PaulThePhotographer

·
Registered
900 Posts
Thanks Paul!

Yeah I know FJCC and FJBruisers have there own Private sections too, also good for putting up your contact info if needed as well!

On a second note however, I think most people here have a facebook account and I think a FB group would be more used than yet another forum you would have to long into a check! just see updates on your wall! ;) of course all wouold be set to private and have to get approved threw me or FJKid, after dues paid to treasure (Macleod).

Let me know guys! I need some input before I sit down and start this up!

·
Premium Member
445 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Name is good- I think $20 is very reasonable to start- Bryan, I'm gonna ring you up tomorrow -KID

·
Premium Member
1,359 Posts
be aware that there are lots of legal things to deal with when you start charging dues. I know that was one reason the NWFJCC doesn't charge dues, but does charge for club stickers and badges. Also, there would need to be a separate bank account for all club funds which requires extra paperwork. Personally I'm all for an informal club with an inexpensive website that can only be accessed by those who register, but with no money exchanging hands. Especially considering the fact that loneuglyfish and I will probably have to move before years end. I think that there's a lot to discuss before anyone rushes into things.

Talking to other clubs and/or regional forums would be a good place to start. (FJ Bruisers, socalfjcruiserforums, azfj, 702FJCrew, NWFJCC, FJ Northeasters are all established groups or forums.)

·
Registered
95 Posts
I agree there is lots that need to be talked over. I had a car club years ago and we had it set up so if we needed things everyone pitched in and there was no extra paperwork to deal with. I do think we all need to try to meet up at some time. One reason is I dont know anyone here lol. then we can see what happens.

·
Banned
46 Posts
Im game to get something started. I was apart of an import car club for 12 years and loved it!! Lets get something going. It would be great to have a off road event every three months in different parts of the state!! :rocker:

·
Banned
46 Posts
Bear Island was Awesome!!:rocker: Sundays trail ride was the best of the weekend! I cant wait to camp and wheel with everyone again. Good Times!
:cheers:

·
Registered
330 Posts
Sounds like a cool idea - always great to see another club of FJ's (and Cruisers)!

If I can offer some suggestions - it is a good idea to have a separate bank account and PayPal account to collect fees and pay for things like stickers and other things. It keeps everything central should there be a change in leadership. I don't think we've had any issues with our account, legal wise, since inception.

Also, vendors are always helpful when you are starting up and need club swag.

For example, the stickers Bryan got were through one of our partners who can also do banners, vinyl cut, and branded merchandise like bags, USB drives, mugs, etc. Also, club specific grill badges are popular; we use another vendor for that who has just a 25 minimum requirement for an order. It all depends on what you want to do and pay for initially. We started with a 4" club logo sticker and a coin for our membership packages ($30 annual) and a $5 vinyl cut as an extra.

One thing also is not to have everything club related be on one person; if a club is to succeed, responsibilities should be spread out. Treasurer, event planner, marketing are positions that work as individual efforts as part of the whole since everyone has real jobs and families to worry about first.

Again, just a couple suggestions - Bryan and Jen are great leaders and this will really rock if it works out!

·
Registered
672 Posts
id be in for it, sounds like a great idea!

·
Registered
900 Posts
Good Advice Josh, Thanx :bigthumb:

OK so we will start this thing out small, Facebook group is in my signature!!!!

If your added to the group on FB please post a link in your signature on the forum to help spread the word for the newbies!

I will keep it closed so everything we post will be private for us, all other people can see is who is in the club. FJs and Land Cruisers only please! I know we are all tired of wheeling with Jeeps and "Taco"s ;)

I've already set up an event for an "Eat N Ride" at Bear Island in April, as for now it's just Saturday the 16th.

I would love to get up 25 people for grill badges!!!! but for now we can keep it at stickers. PLEASE PM me on any inputs guys! is the logo good? would we like to have a banner to carry to all events? rdvrk219 has some good ideas! Hell even T shirts would be cool! ;) but we need to figure out $ flow for all these things. A seperate Paypal account would be nice too, I know I'm tapped out to start a new account, PayPal has all my numbers already!

Me and Jen won't be here forever guys :mecry: (even though we are the farthest anyways), so later this year there will be a hand off. :cheers:

·
Premium Member
445 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
1st one has my vote...-KID

1 - 20 of 66 Posts