Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4,329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Friday after work I headed out of San Diego for some escape time and met up with FJ-Ollie. For the full trip report here. We headed out to explore Oriflame and Rodriguez Canyon. This is near Barret Junction just down the hill from Julian.

Oriflame is very scenic and is a must see. It's in the mountains just near the Pacific Crest Trail. Difficulty was moderate to easy.

Rodriguez Canyon offers some rocks and was a fun run at night. Difficulty was medium.

We hit Carvacre on the way back from Oriflame and Rodriguez the followign day. Carvacre is a must do for anyone ready for a fun challenge. Difficulty is medium with some difficult spots. Lift and rock protection would be a good idea here. I love this trail.

Enjoy the shots. Some were taken by me and others by SDnative.

Here are the photos I took. Enjoy.

Sunset going down Oriflame Canyon

Cactus Palm Trees spotted while climbing back out of Oriflame Canyon

I think this is why they call it Pancake rock? Can you spot the pancakes?

SDNative on the ledge

Ollie on the ledge

·
Premium Member
6,057 Posts
Sorry about the muffler - upgrade opportunity.

I'm also happy to see that you didn't destroy the palm tree cactus in the same way you slaughtered the barrel cactus with chili-discharge.

Was Ollie able to handle the approach angle on that ledge or did he take it at a slight angle and then kick it back to 90 degrees?

Many questions.

It looks like a fun run.

·
Premium Member
18,479 Posts
OO, that rock looks fun! Nice shots. Is there anything else in that area or is the rock the main attraction?

·
Premium Member
2007 Black FJC
2,204 Posts

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
Yeah it looks like the tailpipe is now just the way it should be anyway.

I need to shorten mine as well. Can you guys take me out to that same spot on the Ledge? One of you has to drive because I don't know which line you took to get the exhaust to do that.

·
Premium Member
2007 Black FJC
2,204 Posts
Yeah. That's pretty much the height (or depth below the frame) of the AllPro high clearance exhaust and of some of the custom exhausts that I've seen (including mine). Who needs to spend money on a fancy new exhaust when a rock and sawzall does the job! :D

·
Registered
670 Posts
You really have to marvel at Frog's skill to be able to be able to bend his pipe just the right way.

His wife must be a happy woman.
:lol::lol:

·
Registered
4,329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Sorry about the muffler - upgrade opportunity.

I'm also happy to see that you didn't destroy the palm tree cactus in the same way you slaughtered the barrel cactus with chili-discharge.

Was Ollie able to handle the approach angle on that ledge or did he take it at a slight angle and then kick it back to 90 degrees?

Many questions.

It looks like a fun run.
That cactus was on a cliff wall so I couldn't manage to squat over it =P. We had to stack a rock or two to get Ollie's approach angle a little better. Then he took it straight on. It's an awesome place to play.

OO, that rock looks fun! Nice shots. Is there anything else in that area or is the rock the main attraction?
Carvacre throws so much at you you don't get much time to relax before the next section. This place will not disappoint you.

I need to shorten mine as well. Can you guys take me out to that same spot on the Ledge? One of you has to drive because I don't know which line you took to get the exhaust to do that.
Yes we could take you and I bet you could give yourself a custom exhaust too.

You really have to marvel at Frog's skill to be able to be able to bend his pipe just the right way.

His wife must be a happy woman.
Oh I keep her happy. :bigthumb:

·
Registered
4,329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yeah. That's pretty much the height (or depth below the frame) of the AllPro high clearance exhaust and of some of the custom exhausts that I've seen (including mine). Who needs to spend money on a fancy new exhaust when a rock and sawzall does the job! :D
So true right. Just go out and find a good ledge or hill that really puts your nose in the air so that the rear bumper digs into the ground. Then, put it in reverse and "PRESTO" you too will have a custom bent exhaust. Just cut it off and wheel.

I'm gonna have my local muffler shop touch it up a little. But now I'm no longer worried about snagging my tailpipe.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts