Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
One thing I've yet to get used to in my move to Florida is when the space shuttle lands. My whole house shook today....freaked my ass out!

·
Registered
1,863 Posts
i watched it on cnn, what a sight to see, when its coming its just a huge glider

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
Personally I love the launches... Since we're so close to KSC, there's a local digital cable channel which has the HD feed from the space shuttle when they do the launches. You can see the pitch maneuver and the dropping of the tanks and booster in HD. As soon as we can't see it anymore in outside, we just walk inside and throw that up on the projector.

What a sight it is... Super Sweet. :bigthumb:

Then there's NASA TV which you can watch the missions real time at like 4AM and stuff. Pretty sweet too! I think they have it always live streaming via the web too...

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I just watched the landing on the Nasa channel a little while ago. I guess that huge sonic boom is what got ya.
Yea theres a double sonic boom. One for the nose and the second for the tail section. I was chilling with my daughter and *BOOM BOOM*. I thought someone was trying to beat down my garage door or something. I jumped up, peeped in the garage, looked out back, walked out front. Then it hit me "damn, I bet that was the shuttle!". So I got on the PC and sure enough.

·
Premium Member
2007 Black FJC
2,204 Posts
Yea theres a double sonic boom. One for the nose and the second for the tail section. I was chilling with my daughter and *BOOM BOOM*. I thought someone was trying to beat down my garage door or something. I jumped up, peeped in the garage, looked out back, walked out front. Then it hit me "damn, I bet that was the shuttle!". So I got on the PC and sure enough.
Very rarely they used to land in California. About 10 or 11 years ago, I remember being in the backyard in Pasadena and on hearing what I took to be two gunshots, I hit the deck. Pretty embarrassed when it turned out to be the shuttle. :)

·
Registered
325 Posts
Maybe we can put together a run to Canaveral National Seashore for the next shuttle launch. It is south on A1A from New Smyrna Beach - $5 a person I think. I am not sure how crowded that area gets on launch day though. Maybe NSBCruiser has been there during a launch before. :thinkerg:

·
Registered
1,943 Posts
Maybe we can put together a run to Canaveral National Seashore for the next shuttle launch. It is south on A1A from New Smyrna Beach - $5 a person I think. I am not sure how crowded that area gets on launch day though. Maybe NSBCruiser has been there during a launch before. :thinkerg:
Oooooo. I might just bring my 600 f4 for that!

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
They close off Canaveral National Seashore 4 days before the launch and kick everyone out. Thats what I gathered from a lady I talked to during the last launch.

·
Registered
849 Posts
that is so cool! we've been watching that special series on national geographic or history or whatever the he11 channel its on.......about the astronauts/first space missions/first moon landing.......its incredible the technology we have and how far we've come. someday i want to visit florida during a launch or landing.

can you imagine how beautiful the earth must look from that far away? blows my mind.

·
Premium Member
6,865 Posts
Very rarely they used to land in California. About 10 or 11 years ago, I remember being in the backyard in Pasadena and on hearing what I took to be two gunshots, I hit the deck. Pretty embarrassed when it turned out to be the shuttle. :)
:lol: :lol:
I'm really surprised you did that Mark, I would have thought you would be watching the landing or something be a space guy and all.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
:lol: :lol:
I'm really surprised you did that Mark, I would have thought you would be watching the landing or something be a space guy and all.
Haha ....I dont think its about being a fan of flight or not. Its about your whole world shaking and scences of Red Dawn popping into your head.

Once ya freak out a bit and then figure out what it was you have no choice but to laugh at yourself.

·
Registered
614 Posts
Yep. When living in Naples, I used to get a few scares from that boom. It's cool though.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts