Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey,

I'm a total newbie. Just got an 07 Voodoo Blue. My wife drives it 75% of the time. So far it's a mall crawler. I look forward to doing some mods like lift and level it,and plan on going with some Nitto Trail Grapplers 285/70/17 this month. Can't wait to black it out as well. I plan on doing some trails, but nothing serious as of yet. As I can afford to do more I will, and suspension is a little much for me right now, so spacers are looking good.

Will spacers be fine for a lift?
What are the pros and cons (please don't say "poser")?

Thanks for your help.

·
Premium Member
18,479 Posts
Pros: Price.
Cons: Ride quality.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Is the ride quality similar to stock or worse?

I'm looking to do a 3" lift.

·
fka gremlin2050
1,775 Posts
depends on what kind of spacer. will you be placing it on top of the coilover assembly, or will you be taking it apart to fit in a polyurethane spacer? top plate spacers will have a stock-ish ride, polyurethane spacers in the coilover will be extending the shock and ride worse.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Didn't know I had an option. Top plate sounds like the best option though. I will look into those if I go spacers.

·
Premium Member
7,729 Posts
yup, top plate is better option. quick n easy but rougher ride. The FJ wasnt made for comfort anyway.

·
Registered
2,038 Posts
I had a spacer lift on my FJ before I got an Old Man Emu kit.

I drove the factory suspension (regular 4x4, Tokico shocks) untouched for about 1 year, drove the spacer kit for almost 2 years and have had the OME for the past ~4 months.

My (uneducated) thoughts:

The factory suspension was way too soft for me. Braking would cause nose dive, there was body roll around corners and everything in general felt 'spongy'. I never had any problems for that year, but I didn't really like it or anything.

I put the crappiest spacer lift I could find on (mostly because I knew I would be replacing it at some point anyway). It was a Trailmaster lift. Aluminum spacers in front, and poly-urethane in the rear. No different shocks, or springs. At the same time I put front and rear steel bumpers on (with a winch). Everything tightened up, and there was no more nose dive when braking, the FJ felt more stable in corners and I was a pretty happy camper.

The front end eventually was sagging (due to the extra weight most likely). So I did what I knew I was going to do, replace my shocks and springs. In comes the OME kit. I also replaced the upper control arms to Light Racing at the same time.

The suspension is even stiffer now, I got the 'medium' springs (895 and 895) with the nitrocharger sport shocks. There is no longer any sag with the weight.

Honestly, If I were to do it again, I would probably see if I could buy someone's close to new 4x4 springs and just replace those due to the extra weight and call it a day (the UCA's I would still want for the improved highway manners and getting the alignment back into factory spec). I was very happy with my spacer kit. It had no problems on any trails.

I'm considering going to the OME 'light' springs at this point, but I'm trying to give it time to really settle in. The OME has performed just as well on trails, but it's really rough on the street.

I don't want to sound like I'm putting the OME kit down, a lot of people have good experience with it and it does seem to be pretty bulletproof, but it's not a comfort setup for sure. I will more than likely end up doing something this summer to alter what I have, and my opinion may very well change.

From my experience to this point the factory suspension is pretty damn good. I think I personally should have either stuck with it, replacing the springs like I mentioned earlier, or gone to a higher dollar adjustable setup.

I wouldn't call myself a poser, I get out on trails pretty regularly (the FJ is my daily driver too)... and I don't think anyone with a spacer kit is a poser either. Suspension is geared toward different things, from slow trails/rocks to high speed desert style stuff. From what your FJ gets on a regular basis, I would definitely say a spacer kit would fit the bill in all aspects.

·
Registered
2,038 Posts
Do not get top spacer lift if you plan to offroad in any way. The problem is that unless you lower the bump stop you will bottom out the shock before you hit the bump stop. This puts extreme stresses on the shock.

Spacer lift problems
This doesn't really make any sense to me, so hopefully an explanation from someone that really knows suspension can explain a little further will show up.

How can a spacer lift both overextend AND make your shocks bottom out more? It would seem that they would only be able to overextend them. In the 'preload' type of spacer mentioned in your link only the spring would be compressed more than normal, not the shock (which would be extended more than normal). I understand the binding argument as it would be from over extension, I never had those issues though. My spacer kit was a 'preload' type according to this warning in the front, and a 'top plate' for the rear.

Also note, those examples are for Tundra's, with different part numbers for the shocks/springs. I ran my spacer lift offroad quite a bit over 2 years without any issues, and know several others who do the same thing without problems. I'm sure there are plenty of people on this forum who run spacer lifts offroad.

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
I ran my RC spacer lift (with rear coils) for almost 2 years and off-roaded a few times and never had any issues. Road ride was about stock, even a little improvement because of the new rear coils and shocks.

Not sure about over-etxtending, but bottoming out I could see being a problem.

At stock ride height, you will hit the front bump stop before the shock bottoms out or the coils is fully compressed. When you rase the front with a spacer, there is a chance that you will never hit the factory bump stop, and instead what will most likely stop you is the shock bottoming out. There can also be problems with the coils over-compressing, which can lead to problems as they are only designed to compress so far.

I don't know how adding a top-plate spacer can cause overextension. To my knowledge it is the shock that limits down travel in the front. So when you add a top spacer, the shock still limits down travel, so I'm not too sure how overextension can occur (with a top plate spacer).

IMO, while these fears are warranted, they are unlikely to happen unless you are doing some really technical stuff with your FJ. And if that's the case you've probably already dropped some serious money on other upgrades, and suspension should have been one of them.

·
Registered
2,038 Posts
I think I'm getting this visualized in my head... it would be an either/or situation depending on what type of kit it was, I don't think you could do both (over extend and bottom out) with the same kit.

If football751 is correct, and the shock is the limit for down travel (in the front) anyway, it wouldn't be a problem as long as you're using the 'preload' type. In the rear, I think you can only over extend, because the shock and spring aren't in a coilover configuration (the coil is not over the shock).

...anyway... I don't mean to hi-jack, I just start thinking and typing...

·
Registered
3,153 Posts
Spacers OK for the rear with longer travel shocks, but not so good for the front. Spacer makes coilover assembly longer, putting axle on the undesirable angle...which could be corrected with diff drop kit, but 1/2" of clearance will be lost. just my 02c

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
Spacer makes coilover assembly longer, putting axle on the undesirable angle...which could be corrected with diff drop kit, but 1/2" of clearance will be lost. just my 02c
This is the same thing new coil-overs do

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
Coilover is fixed length, lifts achieved by compressing the spring without changing length of coilover.
When I got my ICON coil-overs I laid them down next to my stock coil-overs with RC spacers, and they were the exact same length, ICONs maybe even a little longer. Either way coil-overs still put the same strain on the CVs as a spacer lift does, since you're still raising your differential and causing the same angle on the CVs.

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
I see in your mods list says extended travel... maybe longer shock? I did Toytec and Radflo lifts, both were the same length as stock coilover.
Ahh ok, that might be it.

But you still experience increased CV angles, correct? Since the engine, differential etc. is still raised, and the wheels are still at the same height, there isn't any way to avoid increased CV angles with any suspension lift without a diff drop. At least if I'm visualizing this right?

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
Yes, you are correct, angles are there. It`s when offroad at full drop with spacers you`ll get greater angle, while normal travel coilovers will limit the drop.
Ahh ok, that makes sense

·
Registered
111 Posts
At the risk of being skolded...I'll ask anyway.

I have searched and read and searched again, will someone who acutally installed a spacer lift yourself to level the front reply.

What kit would you recommend and how difficult is it to install?:cheers:

1 - 20 of 35 Posts