Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6,162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If you are like me carrying spare axles is something you have been thinking about. Thanks to my buddy Jamesart86 (he gave me the web site) I now have a front CV axle shaft and a rear axle shaft to carry with me off road. Both have 13K miles on them and are lifetime warrantied.

I got a great deal on them and I thought I would pass it along. I know they have at least 2 front and rear shafts still in stock.

PamsAuto.com 1-800-560-7336 Randy ext# 205

Front axle shaft $100.00 New at dealer $455.38

Rear axle shaft $150.00 New at dealer $404.26

The rear axle shaft also included:bearing,brake backing plate,bolts,axle studs

·
Registered
5,045 Posts
A few things to keep in mind with "parts store" spares....they will get you off the trail in most cases but they are NOT equal quality.

As someone who's broken a fair amount of axles and has seen many, many more let go....the factory ones are much higher quality than the parts stores "new" units. They are usually made in a third world country with low QC standards and with very low quality metals....which is generally why they are so cheap to buy compared to factory ones....even though they are new. You VERY MUCH get what you pay for when it comes to axles.

In fact, I'd actually take a rebuilt unit over a "new" one from a parts store. The chances that the parent rebuilt shaft is actually an OEM part is much higher than the risk that it's one of those poorly made units that's been rebuilt for resale.

Better yet....try a junkyard (though for an FJC, b/c it's so new, they may be hard to come by that way).

I've made the mistake of buying these "new" axles/CVs before. They are really no bargain in the long run.

HTH,
Sean

·
FJ Expeditions R Us
4,084 Posts
The 4Runner half shafts from 2003 to present are the same as the FJ's. So, we have a wider range of "used" ones to find. Left and right shafts are identical.

Thanks for the post!

cheers,

dale

·
Registered
6,162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Sean
These are used parts from a 4 runner

If you took the time to read the post you would have noticed the "they have 13K miles on them" part

·
Registered
6,162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ed, call the number given, they have a couple more when I ordered last week. It is a salvage yard.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.