Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6,162 Posts
Mine just makes it on the stock Duncraps, I did not even bother to try it on my MTs. Mine is a Yakima

·
Registered
127 Posts
I have an Allen three bike rack that mounts on the spare. It's about half the price of other racks and works just fine. You can open the door when it's loaded with no problem and mounts in seconds.

·
Registered
356 Posts
I just tried over the weekend to get the Thule Spare me to work.... It didn't.

·
Premium Member
16,781 Posts
I just tried over the weekend to get the Thule Spare me to work.... It didn't.
It will with some modification. I have not yet had the time to do this but this is what you would need to do. Buy a longer bolt (no more locking bolt). Place spacers between the frame (that holds the bike) and the female end of the coupler. This will allow it to still mount to the spare.

The tire will be to tall to open the bike holding arm. Drill new holes lower on the frame and position the frame up higher (but keep the bottom low enough so that it still sits on the tire).
This is what i plan on doing so i can still use it.

·
Registered
110 Posts
I encountered 2 problems with the Thule Spare Me rack:

1. The mounting bracket didn't fit flush on the spare mount (behind the wheel). It's basically like trying to fit a square peg in a round hole. I was, however, able to use a dremel to trim about a quarter of an inch off the bracket holes to allow it to fit properly over the top post. The arrows in the photo below shows where I had to trim the bracket.

With that problem solved, I proceeded to replace the spare and begin mounting the bike rack. That's when I noticed problem number two:

2. The receiving slot on the bike rack (which should fit completely over the post sticking through the spare tire) isn't long enough. The dotted lines in the photo below show how it should ideally fit.

While the rack can be attached with the screw, the big problem is that it's the screw that is going to be bearing all of the weight. That's not good, especially considering the screw can't even be tightened completely. This rack was designed to have the post supporting the brunt of the weight, and without an extension, that just won't happen. I'm not comfortable carrying a bike on this, let alone two bikes.

The only alternatives I see are using the rack without the spare tire at all, or having a machine shop weld an extension to the receiving slot. Personally, I'm going to just sell this one on eBay and try the Yakima Spare Joe, which is supposed to fit the FJ.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts