Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We will be taking our FJ Cruiser on a long drive and are looking to assemble a spare parts kit. Don't want to go overboard, but try to bring along items that can break or have a wear life.

I addition to the spare parts kit we will have a recovery kit, mechanics tool set, and W-EMT medical kit.

Here is a list I compiled reading various threads:

To take for sure:
Upper and lower radiator hoses
Epoxy for radiator (Waterweld)
Serpentine Belt
Fuel Injector cleaner
CV Axle, R & L seals
Spare Keys
Tire fix kit
Air filter
Fuel filter
Cabin Filter
Oil Filter
touch up paint
brake pads
Engine Oil
Brake Fluid
fuses
Intake Gasket
Cigarette lighter jumper cable

Maybe take these?
Starter Motor
Water Pump
OME bushings
U-Joints
Alternator
Idler Pullies 1,2,3

Thank you all for your help...

·
Registered
686 Posts
I've got your website bookmarked. Thats going to be one long drive :)
I would love to do a roadtrip like yours one day.

You've got a pretty good list there.
I'm sure you will bring along duct tape - not a spare part, but very versatile.
Also, don't forget hose clamps of all sizes.

I see that you have an addtional fuel tank but you might want to take along a gas funnel with a good membrane filter - you may be forced to get gas at a questionable "gas station"

Here is a good website for tools and equipment:
http://www.harborfreight.com/

·
Registered
465 Posts
I spent some time in Copan :) you are going to love it down that way :) I really miss it spent a year in Honduras

from recent just watch out sadly crime has really increased in parts of honduras

have fun looks like a great trip cant wait to see the pics :)

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You've got a pretty good list there.
I'm sure you will bring along duct tape - not a spare part, but very versatile.
Also, don't forget hose clamps of all sizes.

I see that you have an addtional fuel tank but you might want to take along a gas funnel with a good membrane filter - you may be forced to get gas at a questionable "gas station"

Here is a good website for tools and equipment:
Harbor Freight Tools - Quality Tools at the Lowest Prices
I'll have duct tape along - i take that everywhere! Great spot on the funnel with membrane filter - beats straining it through my t-shirt!

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I spent some time in Copan :) you are going to love it down that way :) I really miss it spent a year in Honduras

from recent just watch out sadly crime has really increased in parts of honduras

have fun looks like a great trip cant wait to see the pics :)
Looking forward to Copan. I have never been to Honduras but a friend of mine did a Peace Corps stint there. She came back married!

·
Premium Member
6,082 Posts
I like your spares list. What about spare anti-freeze for when you blow the radiator (I know you can use water)?

I was involved with Operation Just Cause (Invasion of Panama) with the US Military and in some other short ops down in that area. Yes, you must be self-contained. I think I'd bring along one of those portable ARB (or other brand) refrigerators that you can plug into the inverter in the back of the rig (not a spare part, but it would be nice to have). A submachine gun (and ammo) for every member of the group is also nice along with spares for those... with local government permission, naturally.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
A submachine gun (and ammo) for every member of the group is also nice along with spares for those... with local government permission, naturally.
:D

I was planning on using plain ole water for cooling in case of failure.

So here is the updated list - I decided to keep the brake pads since I will most likely need a new set and I don't know how hard it would be to source them.

For the coolant hoses I was thinking of only the ones that can get hit or
punctured. I'm not sure whether any of the smaller hoses would experience a failure.

The largest item in the spares kit is the CV axle and the FJ is pretty small for an expedition vehicle - should I just take the CV boots?

I also had a question about repairing brake lines on the trail, as in, is it even possible? I can see a brake line getting pulled off in the bush. Unless I took a set of spare brake lines I might be SOL if that happens.

For the larger items like water pump/starter/alternator/fuel pump I have decided to either find them locally or have them shipped in case trouble. Chances are these are not going to break on a new car.

I have also assembled a recovery kit.

To take for sure:
-----------------
Upper and lower radiator hoses - prone to getting hit by rocks
Epoxy for radiator (Waterweld)
Serpentine Belt - prone to getting hit by rocks
Fuel Injector cleaner - in case of bad fuel
CV Axle, R & L seals - CV boot can shred, axle can break
Spare Keys - forgetful...
Tire fix kit - most likely failure
U-Joints - front & rear
brake pads - wear part, we'll be driving 50k+ miles
fuses

Filters:
--------
Air filter
Fuel filter
Oil Filter

Fluids:
-------
Gear Oil
Engine Oil
Brake Fluid
touch up paint

Leave at home:
--------------
Starter Motor
Water Pump
OME bushings
Alternator
Idler Pullies 1,2,3
Cigarette lighter jumper cable (Useless?)
Intake Gasket - have to remove the intake to do anything to the engine...
Cabin Filter

1 - 9 of 9 Posts