Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, I have a question regarding the backup camera installed onto the rear spare tire cover. My FJ did not come with this feature, however i am going to purchase all components necessary for the backup camera including the spare tire cover with camera cutout, Pioneer 6.1 in. touch screen Stereo, and universal backup camera.
My question regards what to do when you take off the spare tire cover in the event that you need to use the spare tire. Since the camera runs through the tire and it is mounted somehow to the tire cover, what happens to the camera when you take the cover and wheel off? Does it somehow disconnect or is the wiring run around the wheel and not connected to the spare tire cover? This seems like a design flaw but I like the look of the spare tire with camera cutout as well as the stock look of the whole setup. Thanks!

·
Registered
878 Posts
No design flaws... it runs through the middle of the carrier and into a hole in the rear door that isn't on your FJ.

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
you should mount the camera at the center of the spare wheel bracket so it stays on there. as for tire cover you can cut a hole at the center of your tire cover. you run the wire through the rear door.
2011+ are set up that way.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Just to be clear, unless you want a spare tire cover, you don't need one for the backup camera. Of course, if you have a backup camera and want a spare tire cover, the cover has to have a hole in it for the camera to see through.

The camera attaches to the spare tire holder, in the center. It stays there, with or without the cover, and with or without the tire.

A lot of people, including me, have the backup camera but don't use the spare tire cover.

TT

·
Premium Member
13,321 Posts
Id run the camera up higher since all swing out bumpers don't have a method to attach them. Placing it on spare isn't necessary and limits your future mods.

I had to custom install mine on my swing out

·
Registered
1,266 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
I want to remove my backup camera all together in order to fit a spare tire mounted bike rack. I don't have a hitch. I really don't rely on the camera too much, it is handy for a quick check, but I wouldn't miss it.
Is there a way to remove the camera? Any insight would be extremely helpful and appreciated! Thanks.

·
Premium Member
13,321 Posts
Why would you need to remove the camera. Does this bike mount go through the center of the spare tires wheel hub? Or does it strap on the tire. If it just straps on, you wont need to remove the camera. If it does go through- then you have a heap of fab work to do.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts