Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

This is my first post, so hoping you can help me out with an issue I've recently ran into. I swapped my wheels out for some Black Rhino Prim 17x9.0 Candy Red w/Black Bolts (part # 1790PRM-26140R12), which replaced some older Ultra Motorsports wheels that came with my '10 FJ when I bought it (not sure on the model) and I have 33" Nitto Grappler M/T tires. The issue I ran into is that the stock spare tire carrier that also accommodates the backup camera has a post that is 3 1/4" with the center opening only being 2 3/4" wide, so I can't fit my new spare tire onto the existing carrier.

I'm trying to see what options I may have to get the spare up on the back of my FJ and still have the backup camera functional. One thought I had was to go with the non-backup camera spare carrier and find a separate arm for the backup camera, but my concerns here are 1. will the spare fit on the standard and 2. I haven't been able to find a backup camera mount that fits this.

I've attached a pic of my FJ as well as the existing spare tire carrier for your reference. Any help is greatly appreciated as I can't stand the "nipple" look of the carrier without a tire back there. :)

20191210_124132.jpg

20191210_124059.jpg

20191210_124104.jpg

20191210_142205.jpg

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I forgot to add that I apologize if this thread is in the wrong sub-forum. Mods - Please move if appropriate. It wouldn't let me edit the OP.

·
A-Team Moderator
10,914 Posts
Moved to Wheels/Tires section.

As for the "nipple", cover it if you are running a matching spare wheel/tire combo. That OEM camera is nearly $600. Use a single wheel spacer if the tire hits the bumper cover? Some have removed the foam board under the cover for additional clearance. Flipping the carrier is not an option w/ the camera mount and wiper arm movement. The opening at the bottom of the carrier is not as wide as the top.

If I were you, I'd take it off and clean the rust up off the bolts and door. Rust is running down onto the paint, bottom left corner.

Welcome to the party pal!

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for moving it to the appropriate location!

I may not have been clear on the issue. I'm using matching wheels/tires for my spare. The post/"nipple" width is too wide to fit the spare tire since the post would have to run through the center cap opening. I've added a couple more pics.

I wasn't wanting to flip it and would like to keep the stock camera. Trying to figure out options of getting the tire mounted even if it means getting a new carrier and yes I intend to swap out the rusted bolts once I find an appropriate solution.

I was thinking about replacing the current one with this one:

If have to figure out how to mount the camera back after that.

20191212_165820.jpg

20191212_165854.jpg

·
Premium Member
2,127 Posts
Only way i see that working is if you add a wheel spacer then get out you angle grinder and start cutting until it fits .

·
Premium Member
2,127 Posts
I think the bigger question is how you got the wheels on. Because they have to fit over the lip on the hub .

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,127 Posts
Ok so it is Hub centric . I think if you add a 2 inch wheel spacer ( i will have to look at mine and see how much sticks out ) . You should be able to mount the spare then . It looks like you have a inch or so before it will bottom out .

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Cutting the camera mount makes more sense than the wheel. ?

Never used an angle but opposed to either. A couple questions though:

1. Should I put anything over the paint to endure it doesn't get damaged while grinding?
2. What's the best way to remove the rust from the bolts...better yet, what are the bolt types I should get to replace them that won't rust out?

Thanks!

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Ok so it is Hub centric . I think if you add a 2 inch wheel spacer ( i will have to look at mine and see how much sticks out ) . You should be able to mount the spare then . It looks like you have a inch or so before it will bottom out .
So would it be a 2" spacer and no angle grind or 2" and still grind? If the latter, can't I just grind down all the way and call it?

·
Premium Member
2,127 Posts
tima let me look at mine and i will get back to you tomorrow ok . let me see what should work best .

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Appreciate the help fire! This has been driving me crazy since I got the new wheels a could days ago.

·
A-Team Moderator
10,914 Posts
I found this this morning. Here's what the guys at Refined Cycles did to theirs. Remove the camera mount from the spare carrier and cut off the excess sticking out, flush with the lug nut studs. This clears the backside of the smaller diameter center of the wheel.

Cut a whole into a center cap and glued/epoxy the camera in place.

The problem is see with this is getting to the wiring harness connector while handling a loose 80+/- lb tire/wheel.

How do your center caps mount, from the front or rear? It looks like the front. Maybe extend the wires a bit if you have to?

truck-wheels-rims-black-rhino-primm-5_red_1573046029.jpg

s-l1600 (1).jpg
s-l1600 (2).jpg
s-l1600.jpg

1 - 20 of 47 Posts