Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

21 - 40 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Thanks Hannibal! This may work, unless I just buy a replacement carrier like the link I shared in post #4 here that doesn't have the post/camera holder and then it's just a mod to the center cap (yes it mounts from the front).

If I'm going to grind off the excess, is there a reason I wouldn't or shouldn't bring off the entire center piece back at the welds? I imagine it's not needed to support the tires.

It would be a little tricky fishing out the camera through the center hole, but even if I had to mount it first, I have a could young kids with skinny arms that can probably get it out if a hanger won't work. 😉

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
I decided to try my hand with an angle grinder and trim off the sides of the camera mount arm so that the wheel can fit around without having to fabricate something else like firemedic suggested and get the Pure cover to get rid of the "nipple". Messing with the center cap isn't a big deal, but seems like a fairly decent sized opening to fit the camera through and then I worry about how to keep it steady and ensure the epoxy/glue holds is seems a little cumbersome. Also, if I ever need to use the spare, it would make it difficult taking the tire off without undoing the camera from the center cap.

If that doesn't work and I mess it up (very real possibility), I'll but the mount off altogether and follow the steps Hannibal posted. And if that doesn't work either, then I'll order the new carrier without the camera mount and mod the cap to fit the camera like in Hannibal's post.

I also plan on remove the carrier to clean up or replace the lugs so that it's rust free and I'll also likely put a coat of paint on the carrier before mounting it back in.

I THINK I can manage all of this, but time will tell. If there's any tips, tricks, and suggestions you all have to making this successful, I'll be happy to hear them out. I'll take lots of pics and share once I get going.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
I do have a couple more questions...do you all know what this bottom half (outlined in red) is for? I'm not sure if this is serving a particular purpose or if I can completely remove that piece and not have to worry about grinding it off.

The second part is that I'll need to get into the carrier bolts from the inside I imagine (at least the top ones). What's the best/simplest way to remove the inside to remove the bolts?

·
Premium Member
1,870 Posts
That is what the frisbee thing bolts to . Junk Throw it over the fence in the neighbors yard

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
I've started disassembly of it. It's actually the frame that the camera mounts to. Well the mount to the camera mount anyway. 😀

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
I ended up hacking away at the carrier and made it fit. Scratched up the wheels when tightening the bolts but I'm ok with that.

Only thing that worries me is how well the tire is sitting there. Any way I can check the integrity? Hand tighten as much as I could and it seems pretty secure.

20191215_181136.jpg
20191215_175003.jpg
20191215_175013.jpg
20191215_175019.jpg
20191215_181042.jpg
20191215_181051.jpg

·
Premium Member
1,870 Posts
Can you use a deep well socket ? My lugs are a spline so i have a Deep well socket and the Spline key .

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
Well it's all on now. Will that help sure it tighter? Sorry, not exactly sure what I'm doing. 😀

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
Will this backup camera cover fit over my wheel?

To my eye, it seems like it may not. Trying to decide if I should buy it and want to know if it'll fit before pulling the trigger.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
Ray responded back saying that the guy doing the 3D printing can do it. Just need to note the wheels on the carrier so he can print it to fit. Great news for me since the hack job I did on the arm is not pretty. ;)

21 - 40 of 47 Posts