Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just brought home my used 2007 tonight, read the manual, did a Google search and so far have not been able to determine how to remove the spare tire cover. The model I have has a plastic cover with the FJ tire tread and a vinyle soft wrap that goes around the tire. Seems extremely tight, I may be able to pull it off with a lot of work but not sure how it would ever go back on.
Tips? Tricks? Am I missing the obvious?

Suggestions please....

Thanks -shawn

·
Premium Member
5,180 Posts
You just pull it off. Grab it from the elastic gathering on the back side and yank.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
OK- thanks. Will give it another try. I didn't want to damage it just because I was curious how it worked & wanted to see what the spare tire looks like.

·
Premium Member
229 Posts
To remove: Start at the bottom center, grasp the elastic bungee that will be at the back side of the spare, pull it slightly down then out towards you and work the cover off moving upward as you go. To put it back on, do the reverse....start at the top, center the cover and logo on the tire, get the top, center of the bungee fully over the tire and work the bungee cord down each side of the tire in small steps till you have it fully seated around the tire.

·
Premium Member
5,180 Posts
Sometimes yanking it off is the best option. :lol:

·
Premium Member
3,360 Posts
The bottom has an elasticised split that you can "separate" enough to lift the cover out and up from the bottom!

Edit: this...

To remove: Start at the bottom center, grasp the elastic bungee that will be at the back side of the spare, pull it slightly down then out towards you and work the cover off moving upward as you go. To put it back on, do the reverse....start at the top, center the cover and logo on the tire, get the top, center of the bungee fully over the tire and work the bungee cord down each side of the tire in small steps till you have it fully seated around the tire.

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

·
Registered
371 Posts
I have a follow-up question. I have the rear-view camera option. After I get the outer cover off, there is an inner cover that just covers the wheel. How does that come off? Another good yank? I don't want to break anything.

·
Registered
350 Posts
There's a little plastic lid that covers a bolt that you undo with a thing in the toolkit.

And it's all in the manual, which is probably easier to get to when you're actually working on the thing

·
Registered
24 Posts
Trash it and run nekkid with a frisbee. :grin
Is that how the veteran FJ owners do it? :grin

That would be my preference or a full cover that's easier to get off and on.

Are there any downsides to not having the entire spare covered?

On a side note (already posted elsewhere) do you know if the spare tire mount without the factory backup camera will accommodate an aftermarket backup camera?

Thanks!

·
A-Team Moderator
8,192 Posts
No, veterans have fancy a$$ wheels and show them off. I have OEM steelies. :lol: It covers the fugly mount and hides the camera.

Vinyl covers hold water and dirt. Let it breathe and rotate into the 5 wheel rotation or at least rotate it on the mount every so often to avoid sun rot and clean behind it.

Depends on the camera itself. There's 2 different spare carriers, with and w/out. Both are discontinued by Toyota, so is the ($287 retail) frisbee. https://parts.toyotaofcoolsprings.com/search?search_str=spare+carrier

The OEM camera is $485 https://parts.toyotaofcoolsprings.com/oem-parts/toyota-camera-8679035040?c=Zz1lbGVjdHJpY2FsJnM9cGFya2luZy1haWQmbD0xJm49U2VhcmNoIFJlc3VsdHMmYT10b3lvdGEmbz1mai1jcnVpc2VyJnk9MjAxMSZ0PWJhc2UmZT00LTBsLXY2LWdhcw==

I read it, read all your posts this morning. Lot's of questions ;) That's good! :cheers: BUT, plz read the dates. Some of them are 12+ years old.

·
A-Team Moderator
8,192 Posts
No, I think that the OP = original poster might not answer... ever. :lol:

Click on usernames and a drop down appears, view PUBLIC PROFILE and it'll tell you when the last time they were online.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts