Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone have suggestions on how to lock the spare tire? Im using one of my locks from the mounted tires, but that leaves one of them unlocked. Im looking for some sort of cable solution.

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
18,479 Posts
What about wheel locks from Gorilla? Why do you need all 3 to be locked?

·
Registered
6,162 Posts
Standard cable with a master lock? Run it through the wheel and behind the mount on the door.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
What about wheel locks from Gorilla? Why do you need all 3 to be locked?
I have 4 locks and 5 tires. Not sure if I can find 1 lock somewhere that matches my current locks, so I thought some sort of cable solution for the spare. If anyone know where I can get a matching lock for the 5th tire, let e know.

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
18,479 Posts
I have 4 locks and 5 tires. Not sure if I can find 1 lock somewhere that matches my current locks, so I thought some sort of cable solution for the spare. If anyone know where I can get a matching lock for the 5th tire, let e know.

Thanks!
If you got it from Gorilla, you can call them and give them the serial. They can make another one to match. They can even make you an extra set of "key".

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well, thanks! Ill give gorilla a call!

·
Registered
161 Posts
I lost my original wheel lock, so I ordered another set from the dealer. To my surprise, the new kit came with 5 matching locks. I ordered specifically for the FJ, not a generic kit. Maybe enough people complained to Toyota.

·
Registered
2,755 Posts
i had to buy the locks from toyota but it only came with 4.....so they gave me number to McGuard ( i think) and called them and gave them code and they sent me a 5th lock for $10 for my spare...painless.

·
Registered
2,783 Posts
They actually have both (4 & 5). Oddly, all my Jeeps came from the factory with 4 locks and spare unlocked as well. The salesman would get me one for the spare. The strange part is they always used the same key. Happened on three Wranglers. Ron

PS: I ordered a set of 5 from one of the TRD vendors here

I lost my original wheel lock, so I ordered another set from the dealer. To my surprise, the new kit came with 5 matching locks. I ordered specifically for the FJ, not a generic kit. Maybe enough people complained to Toyota.

·
Registered
685 Posts
I'd get gorillas. I had toyota on my alloys (they tried to sell me 4, I did a search and found the right part # for 5, parts guy didn't even know it was there!). Once I took it in for service and asked if they needed the key and they said no, they have one. So I guess all the toyota locks are the same?

·
Registered
161 Posts
I'd get gorillas. I had toyota on my alloys (they tried to sell me 4, I did a search and found the right part # for 5, parts guy didn't even know it was there!). Once I took it in for service and asked if they needed the key and they said no, they have one. So I guess all the toyota locks are the same?
They are not all the same. Toyota has a McGard master key set they use so they cannot be blamed for loosing a customer's. I know this because I tried to blame them when I lost my lock, they let me take off the old lugs using their tool.

·
Registered
2,755 Posts

they shouldnet be the same for toyotas...i had to give the key code to Mcguard to get the right ones. maybe they did not do what you asked and just said they did...LOL

1 - 12 of 12 Posts