Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I finally got around to taking my spare off the back as I just got the full size tire and wheel to match the rest. I 17x9 dirty life wheels.
Here is my issue. After taking cover and tire off, removed the camera. The hole in my wheel wont fit over the mount....??? It’s too small. Hub hole.. should I find someone who will bore the wheel out to get it to fit. Or is there a alternative solution. Ive looked on here but no one mentions the wheel hub hole being too small, I would have thought if if fit my hubs it should fit the spare. I’m off between a 1/8 and a 1/4 for it to fit on smooth...
2011 help

·
Registered
5,200 Posts
You got the wrong wheel.

Dirty Life makes wheels with 71.5, 87.1, 106, 109, and 130.8mm center bores.

You need 106mm to fit and maintain hubcentricity with your FJ hubs.

If your 5th wheel doesn't fit on the spare mount, it won't fit on your hubs.

Measure the center bore ... I think you'll find it isn't 106mm diameter.

·
Premium Member
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ok, now you have me worried... I purchased all the wheels at the same time... was advised at time of purchase they were hubcentric to my vehicle. I had discount tire mount and balance the first four until I had the extra cash for the tire.
I would have thought they would have said they didn’t fit. Ive been driving on them for almost a year. Still confused As to why, or if they even could be mounted if they don’t fit the spare mount.

·
Premium Member
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ok, went out and measured, the back side of the wheel is correct. But the frt side is about an inch smaller where the center cap mounts. This is why I can’t mount it on the spare mount, as it will not go all the way through the wheel. Does that make any sense. And whey would the make a wheel the does not have the same diameter all the way through. I’ll send a photo.

Attachments

·
Registered
258 Posts
You need to discuss this with Discount Tire. The large area looks like it will allow the wheel to fit on the hub which doesn't protrude very far through the opening. That makes sense if you have been running 4 of them with no issue. The spare mount is obviously different and they will never fit. Maybe you can convince Discount Tire they made a mistake...?

·
Premium Member
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well, more than likely the mistake was mine for not doing enough due diligence. I purchased the wheels from 4 wheel.com. And was assured they were correct. I would have thought discount tire would have said something if the fitment was not correct. Maybe it is for the fj, just not the spare. I‘m not a tire and wheel guy, just an old body man...
if you think i’m ok running these I will continue, and just fab something to make it work on the back.
Thanks for answering.. Phil

·
14,839 Posts
Remove the camera mount from the spare carrier and it'll fit, but you'll have to relocate the camera itself. And don't break it, they cost ~$600. :eek:

Member from CA had the same issue last year, but he cut the sides off the camera mount.

·
14,839 Posts
A spacer will not work if the hub hole won't fit over a 2011 camera mount shown here. Earlier FJ 's don't have this added mount on the spare carrier.

IMG_6137_1491274289877.jpg

·
Premium Member
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yes, that is my mount. Already have taken the bottom support and camera off. Still doesn’t fit.
I will either have to slice down both sides upper and lwr, or stick the tire on my oe spare or get a shop to widen my hole, or purchase a different wheel just for spare. I looked at my purchase order from last year it does specify correct hub measurements. I may call DL and see if they have one goes completely through with 106, and doesn’t taper down.. damn, really like the wheels .Thanks

·
14,839 Posts
I wouldn't widen the hole, just cut the mount off and fab a new camera mount.

·
Premium Member
2,976 Posts
I’d be concerned that the hub hole is the wrong size and not properly fitting on the vehicle.

·
Registered
347 Posts
I had a similar issue wanting to put my TRD center cap on while maintaining the camera, so i chopped and replaced the camera mount.

·
Registered
612 Posts
I've never seen a wheel designed like that. Perhaps you can swap it for a black steel rim that fits properly.

·
Premium Member
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I wouldn't widen the hole, just cut the mount off and fab a new camera mount.

Thanks, I chose the cut off route, will fam a mount for camera later

1 - 19 of 19 Posts