Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering if the stock FJ tire mount in the back can fit a 285 70 17 tire on it and still get the window to open. or is there an aftermarket mounting bracket that would solve the problem if there is one. thanks for the help.

·
Registered
1,720 Posts
I was wondering if the stock FJ tire mount in the back can fit a 285 70 17 tire on it and still get the window to open. or is there an aftermarket mounting bracket that would solve the problem if there is one. thanks for the help.
I believe 285s should fit fine. If the tires are especially knobby and the window won't open, you can unbolt the carrier from the door and reinstall it upside down, that will give you some extra clearance.

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
Mine does with about an 1/8 in. clearance.:cheers:

Your results may vary and some settling may occur during shipping.

·
Registered
2,698 Posts
You're more likely to run into bumper clearance problems before window clearance problems. But yes, you should be ok. Worst comes to worst, flip the carrier upside down and you'll be good to go. Of course there are a large variety of tires, so there is possibly a tire in the size you're talking about that this wont work on.

·
Registered
604 Posts
I'm running a 295/70/17 a little bigger than the 285 and my window opens , the tire is a big lugged M/T , you should be fine .

·
Registered
6 Posts
Can anyone confirm if this is also true for 2011 FJ's? I have the same question but there is no mention of model year in this thread. I have a 2011 with a backup cam and I'd like to get a wheel and 285 70 17 to match my other wheels / tires.

Thanks!

·
Registered
193 Posts
I have a Goodyear Duratrac 285/70/17 on the back. Also have a Gobi ladder, which prevents me from opening the window but I dont mind since I never used it anyway. Only issue with the spare is that the lug nuts dont tighten COMPLETELY. Definitely enough to tighten and hold the tire sturdy but not all the way. Dont think it'll be an issue though.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts