Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone, was out on the trail today and had a flat, low and behold the spare that the p/o had mounted on my FJ did not fit on the front. The front caliper hit pushed on it. It's a 17" wheel with proper bolt pattern but I'm assuming the backspacing is wrong? I don't know anything about this sorry.

It fit on the rear of the vehicle fortunately so we pulled the rear wheel/tire to the front and mounted the spare on the rear.

Now I need to locate any spare wheel that will work. I just ordered 5 brand new Milestar Patagonia 285/70/17. I need the wheel so I can get it all mounted up nice and perty on Thursday.

Can anyone tell me what other Toyota vehicles I can search up to find a compatible spare wheel? FJC always limits the search results but if a 4runner or Taco wheel will work than that is easier to find.

It's kind of strange that this black steel wheel is obviously Toyota sized but wouldn't mount because of the caliper on the front.

Any help here would be appreciated! :smile

·
Registered
1,796 Posts
based on the picture that is not a stock factory FJ steel wheel. Why not just match the existing 4 other wheels so that you have a matching spare you can put into the tire rotation (and what the previous owner should have done but cheaped out and let the problem for you).

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Factory caliper.....I would be glad to get a 5th matching wheel but I haven't been able to find these pro comp wheels anywhere online to order.

I bought an unused spare from a guy with a 2017 4runner trd off-road. Fits front and rear perfectly.

·
Registered
3,106 Posts
You got the short-term caliper-clearance problem "fixed", but you also just bought FIVE new tires. Are you just going to let that brand new tire sit on the door until the other four tires are worn out, then throw it away six or eight years later?

It doesn't make any sense (to me) NOT to mount that 5th new tire on a wheel identical with the other four, and then include the spare in your normal tire rotation schedule (assuming that you do regularly rotate your tires to maximize treadlife).

Most tire service centers do not charge any extra for a 5-tire rotation if you bought the tires from them.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You got the short-term caliper-clearance problem "fixed", but you also just bought FIVE new tires. Are you just going to let that brand new tire sit on the door until the other four tires are worn out, then throw it away six or eight years later?

It doesn't make any sense (to me) NOT to mount that 5th new tire on a wheel identical with the other four, and then include the spare in your normal tire rotation schedule (assuming that you do regularly rotate your tires to maximize treadlife).

Most tire service centers do not charge any extra for a 5-tire rotation if you bought the tires from them.

Good point, my Discount hooks me up and will rotate the 5th tire in even if they have to break it down off the spare wheel and remount/balance them. Great guys!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts