Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,571 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am getting ready to do my 30k service and wanted to see if anyone has used any of the "better" NGK plugs listed on: NGK Spark Plugs.

I think most have gone with either the Denso or the NGK basic plug but if the better plugs are more efficient in the FJ engine then I will give them a shot. I dont have the SC and the only mod under the hood is a K&N air filter.

·
Registered
493 Posts
I have found that the standard copper plugs (V-power NGK) work the best. The others cost much more and are questionably better. More of a gimmick than any real benefit. I have found that NGK is probably the best plug you can buy. I also have heard that the ignition system was desined to use the V-power plug and not the platinum, etc. Plus, with platinum plugs, the "platinum" is bonded to copper. Once the miniscule amount of platinum burns off (probably the first 100 miles) you're left with a copper plug. I think it is a gimmick more than anything. I think iridium is even more expensive than platinum. How much do you think they really put in each plug?

·
Premium Member
556 Posts
I put an Iridium plug in my Yamaha Rhino. Before I did, with the stock NGK the motor was cold blooded. It wouldn't start or stay running without the choke until it warmed up. If I stepped on the gas before it had a chance to warm up it would stall.

I put in an Iridium plug and it starts with little or no choke and I can immediately shut down the choke when it starts, stomp on the gas and go. It's no gimmick as far as I'm concerned. Granted the Rhino only uses one plug, but when it comes time to change the ones on the FJ I'm going to see if they have iridium plugs that fit.

·
Premium Member
3,571 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have been reading around and think I will just go with the standard plug. I plan on changing them every 30k and dont think upgrading to an iridium will get me any more MPG or niticeable power.

·
Premium Member
6,535 Posts
I have been reading around and think I will just go with the standard plug. I plan on changing them every 30k and dont think upgrading to an iridium will get me any more MPG or niticeable power.
X2, if I'm going to change them at 30K, the stock plug will work fine for me. I, unlike Teikas Dad had a negative experience with an Iridium plug in a Honda ATV, It fouled in a couple of days and the place I bought it firm wouldn't take it back. ($10 + S/H in the trash).

DEWFPO

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
I just changed my plugs last weekend. I run the Denso k20hr-u11. Which is what Toyota specifies. My 06 Sequoia calls for Iridium plugs and are supposed to last 100k. I'll be changing them at 60k.

·
Registered
128 Posts
What is the torque spec for the spark plugs?

·
Registered
24 Posts
I saw a broadcast on Powerblock TV a while back, they tested the Diamond Fire E3 plug. The plug not only made the combustion of fuel more efficient, it also increased horsepower and mpg. I am at the 20k range now, I have been searching for the E3. Checker does not have it listed in their database, however, Diamond lists a plug for our FJ's. This is the plug I am considering for the replacement at 30k.

·
Premium Member
6,535 Posts
Let us know how you like the E3's. They do make one for our FJ's.

DEWFPO

·
Premium Member
6,535 Posts
What is the torque spec for the spark plugs?
16mm Hex Spark Plug Socket

I recommend using a small dab of aluminum safe 'anti-seize' on the plug threads. A little goes a long way.

Always run the plugs all the way in by hand to avoid cross threading.

Torque the coil bolt to 8 ft./lbs.

Torque the spark plugs to 14 ft./lbs.

DEWFPO

·
Registered
225 Posts
I saw a broadcast on Powerblock TV a while back, they tested the Diamond Fire E3 plug. The plug not only made the combustion of fuel more efficient, it also increased horsepower and mpg. I am at the 20k range now, I have been searching for the E3. Checker does not have it listed in their database, however, Diamond lists a plug for our FJ's. This is the plug I am considering for the replacement at 30k.
E3.56 pepboys carries them. Their good plugs, and I've noticed a difference in everything I put them in so far, the 02 ranger, the cruiser, and my wifes 08 xb, that had the NGK iridium plugs that took a crap before 9000 mi

·
Registered
24 Posts
DEWFPO...I certainly will...

pa-juggalo says the part number for our FJ's is: E3.56 and pep boys has 'em. Unfortunately, here in Elko we don't have pep boys stores, we're kinda rural here. On my travels I will find someplace that has 'em though.

...pa - juggalo... Now you have some experience with these e3's! I had to chuckle at your comment on the wifes 08 xb, plugs crapping out.:D

·
FJ Expeditions R Us
4,084 Posts
E3.56 pepboys carries them. Their good plugs, and I've noticed a difference in everything I put them in so far, the 02 ranger, the cruiser, and my wifes 08 xb, that had the NGK iridium plugs that took a crap before 9000 mi
Please see the thread I started on two brands of spark plugs in my FJ engine http://www.fjcruiserforums.com/foru...two-brands-spark-plugs-installed-factory.html . I found that the E3 catalog calls for the E3.68 plug and Pep Boys catalog calls for the E3.56. I bought the E3.56 from Pep Boys, but I am awaiting word from E3 on what the difference is before I put miles on them.

cheers,

dale

·
FJ Expeditions R Us
4,084 Posts
Below is a copy of the email I just received from E3 regarding the correct spark plug for our FJ's.

From: Brad Davis <[email protected]> [Add to Address Book]
To: Dale Durham <[email protected]>
Subject: RE: Correct Spark Plugs for FJ Cruiser
Date: Jun 6, 2008 3:14 PM
Dear Mr. Durham,

Thank you for your purchase of E3 Spark Plugs. The correct plug for a 2007 Toyota FJ Cruiser 4.0L engine is an E3.68. The E3.68 has a thread reach of one inch while the E3.56 has a thread reach of three quarters of an inch. The E3.56 is not long enough to reach into the cylinder head for this application and the E3.68 is required.

Sincerely,

Brad Davis
E3 Spark Plugs

So, I purchased the incorrect spark plugs from Pep Boys. They tell me that they cannot get the E3.68's.

cheers,

dale

·
Premium Member
6,535 Posts
Thanks for clearing this up. E3.68 it is.

It's always interesting when someone at the parts counter says I can get this, but not that (from the same company). I often ask.... "Can you try?" I frequently get a 'deer-in-the-headlights' look back like they don't even know where to start. It may take a phone call with an actual person.

DEWFPO

·
FJ Expeditions R Us
4,084 Posts
Thanks for clearing this up. E3.68 it is.

It's always interesting when someone at the parts counter says I can get this, but not that (from the same company). I often ask.... "Can you try?" I frequently get a 'deer-in-the-headlights' look back like they don't even know where to start. It may take a phone call with an actual person.

DEWFPO
I totally agree with you! I'm planning on talking to a manager at Pep Boys. If they can get one size spark plug, they should be able to get any size!

cheers,

dale

·
Premium Member
1,762 Posts
Please see the thread I started on two brands of spark plugs in my FJ engine http://www.fjcruiserforums.com/foru...two-brands-spark-plugs-installed-factory.html . I found that the E3 catalog calls for the E3.68 plug and Pep Boys catalog calls for the E3.56. I bought the E3.56 from Pep Boys, but I am awaiting word from E3 on what the difference is before I put miles on them.

cheers,

dale
When I installed the E3.56, I compared the length to the factory plugs. I wondered why the E3.56 was shorter then the factory plugs. But I thought if that is what they recommended then I got nothing to lose! Everything works fine and I never noticed a decrease in power. But I guess I was wrong. They make it longer for a reason and I will change them as soon as I can. Thanks for finding this out.:wave:

·
FJ Expeditions R Us
4,084 Posts
When I installed the E3.56, I compared the length to the factory plugs. I wondered why the E3.56 was shorter then the factory plugs. But I thought if that is what they recommended then I got nothing to lose! Everything works fine and I never noticed a decrease in power. But I guess I was wrong. They make it longer for a reason and I will change them as soon as I can. Thanks for finding this out.:wave:
I appreciate your thanks, but we're all working together here! :cheers: The forum is awesome!

If I were you, I'd take a copy of my email above and return the plugs to Pep Boys. After all, you purchased them in good faith and they were the ones who gave you the wrong parts.

I bought the E3-56 myself from Pep Boys. After learning they were incorrect I called Pep Boys and they agreed to take them back even tho I had installed them.

cheers,

dale

·
Premium Member
1,762 Posts
I appreciate your thanks, but we're all working together here! :cheers: The forum is awesome!

If I were you, I'd take a copy of my email above and return the plugs to Pep Boys. After all, you purchased them in good faith and they were the ones who gave you the wrong parts.

I bought the E3-56 myself from Pep Boys. After learning they were incorrect I called Pep Boys and they agreed to take them back even tho I had installed them.

cheers,

dale
Thanks! Will do. Napa tho.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Thanks! Will do. Napa tho.
Pep-Boys is looking at an older catalogue. I went in there looking for the E3.68's and they pulled out a 2006 book that listed an E3.56. I made them pull out a set of NGK's and compare the thread lengths and the .56's were indeed short. I then looked up the E3 web site on my blackberry and showed the counter guy the 3.68 is what they call for now. I asked if he could get those, deer in the headlights. If it isn't in their book, they are clueless and will absolutely not pick up the phone to see what they can do. Had a similar experience at Advance Auto but they don't even list an E3 for the FJ so that guy looked completely lost.

I'm thinking of just ordering them off of the internet. How do you guys with the 3.68's like them so far? I've seen both great and terrible reviews out there. PROBABLY because people were using the wrong short plugs...

This happened to me with Bosch +4's on a 2003 Dodge Durango with the 360 HO motor. The +4's they gave me (again according to their book) were at least 1/4" shorter than the plugs i took out. I tried them anyway thinking the open spark at the bottom had something to do with it. Mileage dropped, it missed and ran crappy so i changed them back out. Took the short plugs back for a refund, they refused saying "those are the ones in the book"... I forced them to compare them to factory plugs, they looked confused but didn't refund my money...

Good Luck out there.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts