Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
2014 Fj Cruiser Ultimate Edition - Heritage Blue
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Howdy everyone,
About a year and a half ago I installed an android head unit from SEICANE on my 2014 TTUE w/o JBL and no sub. No complaints with it for about a year until about six months ago when I installed the JBL rear pillar speakers and got rid of the crappy speakers in the headliner. Since then, when the volume reaches a certain level (not a high volume at all, maybe 30% of the way to max volume) the front driver and passenger door speakers start to sound distorted. I'm not sure if this is because of the head unit or the lack of a solid amplifier. I was wondering if anybody had any insight into this problem. Do I need to add a decent amplifier or is it a matter of upgrading the speakers themselves. I'm assuming it will most likely be the need for an amplifier but I wanted to ask here incase anyone has had this problem or can just share some wisdom with me. I searched around the forums and wasn't able to find any solid answers.

Cheers and thanks for any help!

· Registered
662 Posts
The stock door speakers are an absolute joke. It’s amazing they put out any sound at all. If they haven’t been replaced those should be high on your list. I’m surprised you replaced the rear speakers first.

Probably the most impactful upgrade for sound would be the dash speakers. I just put 3.5” 2-way speakers in there (JBL) and replaced the doors with 6x9 JBL 3-ways and the dash top speakers are most audible.

Changing out the door speakers revealed some rattles that I’ve since tended to as well.

· Registered
141 Posts
Sounds like it may/could be an ohm issue. When I used to do my own soundz back in the day (90's) I ran into this issue. The ohm of the speakers exceeded the head unit and would distort after turning the volume up. I would start there. The speaker rating should be listed on the magnet of the speaker. Lastly, depending on how you are wiring them (series vs. parallel) could also plays a part in the overall combined ohm rating that the head unit can't handle.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.