Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi. I've got a '14 with the JBL package. I just swapped out the JBL head unit with a Kenwood DMX907S -- I wanted Carplay. I've never in my 30 years of car ownership added aftermarket audio parts.

I'd like to make some more improvements, but don't want to go down the rabbit hole of rewiring anything. I'm not looking for audiophile perfect. I'm very much an 80/20 guy. What would be good options for replacing both the door and dash speakers while retaining:
  • Stock amp (specs per JBL's website don't mention impedance Sites-JB-US-Site)
  • Rear pillar speakers (based purely on the fact that crutchfield says 'don't bother replacing these')
  • Stock JBL sub (I mostly listen to cool jazz, and rock like Bowie & Queen. Hip-hop is maybe 10-15% of my music collection so I don't see a ton of value in dropping $800 in the JL stealth box -- the only route I'd go because of my OCD for keeping things compact & clean)
  • Existing wiring (I had to shove everything in there with the head unit like I was packing a suitcase. I don't even want to try fitting more stuff back there)
Max power for my new head unit is listed as 50W x4 with speaker impedance between 4-8 ohms.

Are there any plug & play options that I could go with? I've searched the forums and google and it seems like 1. Most people are adding aftermarket amps and 2. A lot of the posts deal with the non-JBL stock system. I'd really prefer to not just to keep this a small scale project that I can tackle in a couple hours.

If the consensus is that four speakers aren't going to help much and that a new amp and wiring are must haves, then fine, but I'm going to buy everything from Best Buy and have Geek Squad do the install (gotta take advantage of 0% financing on their card...)

Advice is greatly appreciated.

P.S. I SWEAR I read something advising against using component speakers to upgrade the JBL stock, but now I can't find that post.

·
Registered
2010 FJ Base with Warrior Front Bumper
10 Posts
Please use Crutchfield.com!!
This website seriously helps with choosing car audio items that work.
I'm running an Alpine ILX-207 system with a set of Focal Audio speakers, but everyone has their own preferences.
Crutchfield can guide you through what works best for your exact model year and packages.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Please use Crutchfield.com!!
This website seriously helps with choosing car audio items that work.
I'm running an Alpine ILX-207 system with a set of Focal Audio speakers, but everyone has their own preferences.
Crutchfield can guide you through what works best for your exact model year and packages.
Hi,

I did contact them and the guy recommended this component speaker system and said I wouldn't need to wire in the crossovers: Infinity Primus PR9610cs Primus Series 6"x9" component speaker system at Crutchfield

I set my budget a bit higher (~$300 - $500) and figured I'd solicit opinions here. Plus the 'P.S.' I added above where I thought I'd read that component speakers weren't the best choice for the JBL package.

·
Registered
2010 FJ Base with Warrior Front Bumper
10 Posts
Hi,

I did contact them and the guy recommended this component speaker system and said I wouldn't need to wire in the crossovers: Infinity Primus PR9610cs Primus Series 6"x9" component speaker system at Crutchfield

I set my budget a bit higher (~$300 - $500) and figured I'd solicit opinions here. Plus the 'P.S.' I added above where I thought I'd read that component speakers weren't the best choice for the JBL package.
Also, you don't necessarily need the JL audio stealth box. These guys makes a great one, I'll attach a photo of mine.
IMG_0900.jpg

1 - 4 of 4 Posts