Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, so I would like to add two new speakers as well as two 12 inch subwoofers to my FJ. My idea is to build a box that would rest behind the rear seats, with the subs on the outside and the speakers in the middle. Before i do this though, I want to get some advice on whether this is a good idea or not. Is it okay to have speakers and subs in the same box? Or should I separate them? Also, would a single port be beneficial to audio quality? Thanks.

·
Registered
4,381 Posts
yeah i wouldn't do that , won't make for very good SQ or imaging (it would be loud though) ...you would be WAYYY better off putting speakers up front either full range(6x9s in the front doors and tweeters in the dash) or components(6-1/2 in the doors and tweeters in the dash) depending on your budget ...on the sub ported or seal depends on the sub brand, amp and type of music you listen to(you really don't need two 12" sub BTW) ...and a good head-unit(Alpine,Pioneer,Kenwood) is important (NOT the factory FJ head-unit!) you can spend 400.00 to 500.00 on a basic system to the sky's the limit system depending on your budget...the goal is to build a well balanced system matching up speakers with the correct amps etc that blend together well.. and the backbone of the system is a good head-unit

·
Premium Member
3,408 Posts
This sounds like a truck box.

I'm not going to discourage you. But...

I think what you would want to do would be to build 1 box with 6 enclosures: 1 for each sub, 1 for each mid/bass, and 1 for the midrange (if you're going to use those), and then surface-mount the tweeters. If you're going 2-way + sub, then 4 separate enclosures within your larger box: 2 subs, 2 mid/bass, and surface-mount the tweeters.

Use a port if the subs recommend them.

Some places to get started: 1 2 3

1 - 3 of 3 Posts