Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
450 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just finished installing 2 sets of 3.5" Infinity's in the dash and in the D pillar.
I gotta say it makes a huge difference! The sound is much more clear, crisp and well rounded. I do have an Infinity Sub in the back too but I still hear the rear speakers enough to round out the sound. Very impressed and very easy to do thanks to the info on this forum!

On another note.
I swapped the drivers side stock speaker for a 6.5" Boston Acoustic. After removing the stock speaker and looking at the tiny little magnet on the back and the paper cone I was expecting big things from the BA however, I was dissapointed. Once everything was installed on the drivers side I gave it a test run to make sure it was working before starting the passenger side and I thought I screwed something up. The sound was very weak and not at all full like the stock speaker.

I played with the balance switching from drivers side to passenger, since the passenger speaker had not been swapped yet, and the difference was remarkable. Better sound from the stock speaker! I still have the BA in the drivers door b/c I want to give it a fair chance and see if perhaps I screwed something up or if this is to be expected. This is the first time ever that I have switched from a stock speaker to an aftermarket and had the sound not improve. Perhaps someone can shed some light on this for me. I am running the speakers from my Alpine head unit.

·
Banned
259 Posts
Sorry to jack this a bit, but could you please post pictures of the 3.5" in the d-pillar? Also, are you using the 3.5" Kappa 32.7cf? If so, does your passenger dash one make a odd hissing noise when the car is on? Mine seems too and I can't find out why :(

Also, your problem might be that the door speakers are simply not getting enough power. If you are using the Kappas that I am using, then they each require 35 watts, you have four so x4 that, and then your Boston acoustics I would assume require around 60+ watts or so, so basically your door speakers aren't getting enough power to play like they should. I'm running my dash Kappas off my D3, but only because those are the only speakers it is powering, the other speakers (door etc) are powered off my kicker amps...

1 - 2 of 2 Posts