Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
643 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Toyota is planning a mid-summer launch of a special-edition 2007 FJ Cruiser sport-utility vehicle that is beefed up with off-road performance features, Inside Line has learned.

"Look for things like shocks, tires, wheels, and off-road performance features," said Mark Amstock, Toyota's national truck and SUV market planning manager here at the launch of the FJ Cruiser on Tuesday.

Amstock said Toyota is working with tire manufacturer BFGoodrich on the yet unnamed special-edition FJ Cruiser. He added that Toyota designers are "pushing for traditional FJ colors, including tans and reds."

The Japanese automaker is also considering an FJ model without the signature white roof — a feature which will be standard at the SUV's launch — as well as a convertible version. "We're giving that a lot of thought," Amstock said in regard to a topless FJ Cruiser. "But nothing specific yet."

The FJ Cruiser, priced in the mid-$20Ks, is set to make its debut in late March. It competes against the Hummer H3, the Jeep Wrangler and the Nissan Xterra.

Amstock said Toyota will export a few of the FJ Cruisers to Canada and 183 to the Middle East. He said there are no plans for a right-hand-drive version of the vehicle or a diesel version.

Source: Edmonds.Com

·
Registered
2,057 Posts
all the more reason to just wait until after the initial release. id rather pay 2-5k more for the special addition than spend 2-5k more to obtain a first release above msrp!! that and i really really want a tan FJ

·
Registered
87 Posts
Whoa- if a removable top is in the works, they will have to add roll bars and make those backseat windows go down. And there goes my roof rack...

Has anyone else confirmed this?

·
Registered
2,874 Posts
Well, there isn't any confirmation yet as the rumored topless model isn't even in the works just yet.

Speaking of Topless. Topless4runner hasn't posted all week. Anybody hear from that Marine outside of this site anywhere?

·
Registered
60 Posts
Why are they doing this to us? Just wait 2years to release a SE FJ so that when I get mine in March I'm not kicking myself in Aug. If you are going to release it this year then do it at launch.

·
Registered
233 Posts
marketable said:
Why are they doing this to us? Just wait 2years to release a SE FJ so that when I get mine in March I'm not kicking myself in Aug. If you are going to release it this year then do it at launch.
I'll second that sentiment! I'm not in love with any of the launch colors, but I do love the vehicle. Now I've got to decide on if/when an SE comes out and whether or not to wait....

·
Registered
11 Posts
Leave it to Toyota....before they even launch a new interesting vehicle they are advertising yet more "packages" for the future. SR5 this, off road that, Moab whatever. Come on Toyota, just give us a well priced 4x4 model decked out with what everybody wants (for me, that means the locker, tow kit, auto tanny, and side airbags), in a half-dozen good colors. You know, white, black, silver, dark green, charcoal, maybe tan. And make the white roof optional. Please, Toyota, don't muck this up. And regarding price, I am seeing Xterras discounted down to $24-25k that are really well decked out. The FJ should not be $30k, like the Tacomas with the above equipment are, unfortunately.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Hopefully, they will know all the features (colors, off-road enhancements...) of the SE (and tell us) by the time the first ones are rolling off the assembly line. That way we can make the grueling decision to wait. On the other hand, Shocks and tires can be changed out right away, so what features will be waiting for? Some people have mentioned sunroofs... If 4703SE is correct in his post, then we should know about the SE shortly. Anyone want to venture whether or not the SE will have the 6speed? My guess is not.

BTW: I just found this forum a couple of weeks ago, you guys have done a great job of finding and disseminating information, but it's probably good I found the forum when I did because reading everything you all have posted has gotten me so excited about the FJC I can barely contain myself. I have been on the wait list since March, and truth be told, I have been waiting for it from the second I saw it spinning around on its podium at the 2003 Denver Auto Show.

·
Registered
2,008 Posts
Gnzo said:
Hopefully, they will know all the features (colors, off-road enhancements...) of the SE (and tell us) by the time the first ones are rolling off the assembly line. That way we can make the grueling decision to wait. On the other hand, Shocks and tires can be changed out right away, so what features will be waiting for? Some people have mentioned sunroofs... If 4703SE is correct in his post, then we should know about the SE shortly. Anyone want to venture whether or not the SE will have the 6speed? My guess is not.

BTW: I just found this forum a couple of weeks ago, you guys have done a great job of finding and disseminating information, but it's probably good I found the forum when I did because reading everything you all have posted has gotten me so excited about the FJC I can barely contain myself. I have been on the wait list since March, and truth be told, I have been waiting for it from the second I saw it spinning around on its podium at the 2003 Denver Auto Show.
Welcome Gnzo,

The rumors a couple weeks ago were that the SE would be 6 speed only and would be black on black (Moab edition). It sounds like they are going in a different direction with this SE but I would be surprised to not find 6-speed manual amoung the options. However, I will be wicked pissed if I wait for the SE and find out it only comes in manual. I prefer auto you prefer manual, let's hope they make us both happy.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I dont know much about Toyota so does anyone have any idea how much more a special edition normally costs as compared to the regular model? 4Runner has an SE right?

·
Registered
181 Posts
Jumper said:
I dont know much about Toyota so does anyone have any idea how much more a special edition normally costs as compared to the regular model? 4Runner has an SE right?

Not really comparable because only two things set the 4Runner SE apart from the others (bsides stuff you could get in packages on the other models)

Thay are the hood scoop and the XREAS suspension, which btw is awesome but really only contributes to improving its' on-road ride.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Yep, I'm in with the topless Cruiser... definitely a wait and see mode given that might just might be in the works. Go build it Toyota - they will come.

·
Registered
142 Posts
How about the orginal concept interior? The concept interior is much of what hooked me when i saw the FJ 4 years ago. Now i am not sure if i am sold on this lame production interior.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I'd definitely prefer no white top. I can skip the trail stuff as I can buy my own (unless the SE includes some key feature that's hard to add, like a more powerful motor).

·
Registered
24 Posts
Slab said:
I'll second that sentiment! I'm not in love with any of the launch colors, but I do love the vehicle. Now I've got to decide on if/when an SE comes out and whether or not to wait....
From a business perspective they will not relase special edition packages right off the bat because they want to spark new interest in a vehicle at later dates. Right now this is the most hyped vehilce Toyota has in their lineup and it should not cool down, but if it does the SE Package will re-ignite that spark to keep these things selling like hotcakes.

My Opinion.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Re: Special Edition FJ Cruiser Done!

Someone had asked me to render a convertible FJ last night. Well... it's in my gallery now... Fun for da Summer :) :) :) :)

1 - 20 of 33 Posts