Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
8,997 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I would like to install a sound system without using any of the factory wiring. My system will be unique and completely separate from existing equipment.
( I have no problem wiring everything myself )
The only pieces of the puzzle missing are amps and speakers,
My question is. If I want to have a system that sounds better than the stock system, what amp/speaker combination would give me modest results?
(1) I was thinking of a 4 channel amp to drive speakers. how many stock speaker locations are practical to use?

(2) How many speakers should I try and use? I probably would want to run a small sub /amp along with the 4 channel.

(3) Is a 4 channel enough to run more than 4 speakers?

(4) If I can use stock locations, this will save valuable space, since space is a concern.

(5) I like all kinds of music, but my roots are from rock/blues/jazz

I would like to keep this as simple as possible with results somewhat better
than stock. The stereo is not the most important objective here, but I do enjoy nice sound.
My budget would be limited, but I need to come up with a range to spend for this project

Thanks
Don
Some equipment suggestions from the pro's here would be appreciated.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,403 Posts
Don, I'm running a 4 channel amp powering 6 speakers and a bazooka 8 inch tube. The amp is split with 2 channels powering the dash and D pillar speakers with the other 2 channels powering the 6X9's I put in the doors. I am using a Pioneer amp, Infinity 6X9's, Infinity 3.5's in the dash and D pillars. Lots of "pros" will tell you that my set up is wrong. It sounds a hell of a lot better than stock. I also like the compactness of the powered bazooka.

Here is my thread on my install: My Audio Upgrades and Why!!!

Good luck.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
9,345 Posts
Hey Don,

I wanted to upgrade everything but my FJammer. 90% of the time I am listening to factory Sirius and the other 10% my CD's. I shopped at 4 different stereo shops in the DFW area and ALL of them told me to go with four 6 1/2's and replace the factory sub with one 12" or two 10" in a new custom box. One pair in the door (adapters needed for factory 6x9 hole) and the other pair either near the rear seatbelt retractors or in the rear suicide doors (pods from vendor Wickid CAS). One shop recommended running a 4 channel amp to the door speakers and 1 amp to the new sub(s). The other shops all said to go with a newer small footprint 5 channel to run everthing because of limited space.

Slowly I have obtained almost everything I need. I am still waiting for the rear pods from Wicked CAS, but everything else is ready to go.

I went with:

Focal 165VB components for front doors
Focal 165CVX coxials for rear
JL Audio Stealbox with 12" sub
All powered by 600 watt Alpine PDX-5

I did not intend to spend as much as I did on the 6 1/2's, but don't want to repalce them again and they can handle even more power if I decided to add another sub and bigger amp later.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
8,997 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hey Don,

I wanted to upgrade everything but my FJammer. 90% of the time I am listening to factory Sirius and the other 10% my CD's. I shopped at 4 different stereo shops in the DFW area and ALL of them told me to go with four 6 1/2's and replace the factory sub with one 12" or two 10" in a new custom box. One pair in the door (adapters needed for factory 6x9 hole) and the other pair either near the rear seatbelt retractors or in the rear suicide doors (pods from vendor Wickid CAS). One shop recommended running a 4 channel amp to the door speakers and 1 amp to the new sub(s). The other shops all said to go with a newer small footprint 5 channel to run everthing because of limited space.

Slowly I have obtained almost everything I need. I am still waiting for the rear pods from Wicked CAS, but everything else is ready to go.

I went with:

Focal 165VB components for front doors
Focal 165CVX coxials for rear
JL Audio Stealbox with 12" sub
All powered by 600 watt Alpine PDX-5

I did not intend to spend as much as I did on the 6 1/2's, but don't want to repalce them again and they can handle even more power if I decided to add another sub and bigger amp later.
Don,
I agree with Wilson. 6.5" speakers and a sub or two is going to give you great sound. I know space is a premium, so that alpine PDX-5 amp is a great choice. It's a 5 channel amp, so you only need one amp for all the speakers and the sub.
You guys gave me a clear picture and direction
This sounds like the best solution for my set up The only change I will make is the sub woofer. I think I may go with a truck style sub, that fits behind the drivers seat. I think I found one that will work. Behind my drivers seat is where the frig is mounted. In front of the frig, may be a perfect place to set the sub . I just don't have any other choices, unless I start using up main cabin space.
I am always reminded of how much information this place has and the great people that contribute to it .

Thanks guys
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
3,394 Posts
6.5's are great. Jl audio makes a 7.75 that's also a great choice. Use a 5 channel amp and if you want a nice tight bass use an 8" or 10" sub. If you want bass go with a 12" sub. Jl audio makes some nice digital amps that pack a ton of power into a tight space.
I totally agree great info.

The JL audio HD 900x5 (100x4-500x1) is small and powerful I have one in my jeep and had two HD amps in the sequoia. Remember Distortion blows speakers not to much power always look for RMS power in the amps and speakers.

They look cool too.


________
GONG BONGS
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
790 Posts
I only have one thing to add. 4 speakers should be adequate just make sure your rear speakers are in the C pillar instead of all the way back in the D pillar. Makes a lot of difference.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
35 Posts
I went with:

Focal 165VB components for front doors
Focal 165CVX coxials for rear
JL Audio Stealbox with 12" sub
All powered by 600 watt Alpine PDX-5

I did not intend to spend as much as I did on the 6 1/2's, but don't want to repalce them again and they can handle even more power if I decided to add another sub and bigger amp later.
Wilson,

Did you have any problem mounting the focal 165VB in the doors? Crutchfield shows that they are deep for the FJ!
 
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Top