Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well on the way home from work I managed to get a ticket for 82mph in a 55mph on I-70 and Chambers. Really think it was the car in front of me since he said he hit me with laser and my passport 9500 never went off. Figure I was going around 70-75 (speeding some to say the least, but going with the flow of traffic around a few semis).

Any advice (worth it to get a lawyer?) and any idea on what the $$$ damage is going to be? I do have to go to court to say the least, such as life =(

·
Registered
835 Posts
See if there is a diversion (drivers education) class available that would make it go away. You pay the fee for the class, and attend, and no points.

Otherwise that is a criminal ticket (20+ over the limit) and it will cost you plenty.

If you want to fight it, you might want to write down what you told the officer so your attourney will have a chance.

·
Premium Member
3,571 Posts
A laser radar detector has a narrow beam, even at a 1/4 mile or so the beam could be aimed at your grill and your radar detector might not catch it. Do they have defensive driving in Co? I know in Texas if you get caught speeding you can take defensive driving every 12 months, turn that in to the police and they will not report the ticket so it wont affect your insurance. You usually have to pay some sort of court cost as well. If that is not a possibility then go to court and explain that you dont believe it was you that got popped and ask for deferred adjudication. This means they will not post your ticket but you cant get another one for six months. If you get another one in that time period then both hit your record.

Remember if you say it was not you and you got popped by a laser, the cop actually has to point the gun right at you through a scope so chances are it was you.

If you get to take DD then you can also turn it into your insurance once every three years for a discount.

·
Registered
2,280 Posts
Well on the way home from work I managed to get a ticket for 82mph in a 55mph on I-70 and Chambers. Really think it was the car in front of me since he said he hit me with laser and my passport 9500 never went off. Figure I was going around 70-75 (speeding some to say the least, but going with the flow of traffic around a few semis).

Any advice (worth it to get a lawyer?) and any idea on what the $$$ damage is going to be? I do have to go to court to say the least, such as life =(
Sorry, but the hole "It was the car in front of me " story never works. Nor does flowing with traffic. Your best bet is to go to court and plead guilt and have the fine reduced. They will typicly always reduce the fine when you go to court. There's always the possibility that the officer won't show, and then your chancesof getting out of the ticket increase even more. There's alos another posibility....

The officer is sopposed to tune his radar/lidar before every shift. It should also be documented. If it is out of tune,then it is possible it read wrong, and you could get out of the ticket due to an inacurate reading.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Sorry, but the hole "It was the car in front of me " story never works. Nor does flowing with traffic. Your best bet is to go to court and plead guilt and have the fine reduced. They will typicly always reduce the fine when you go to court. There's always the possibility that the officer won't show, and then your chancesof getting out of the ticket increase even more. There's alos another posibility....

The officer is sopposed to tune his radar/lidar before every shift. It should also be documented. If it is out of tune,then it is possible it read wrong, and you could get out of the ticket due to an inacurate reading.
Thanks for the advice. It's a bummer, but happened to say the least. Guess I will just go to court and explain what happened, likely the DA will offer a plea. Just a bummer to have my license hit for 4-6pts. Assume I shouldn't mention my radar detector didn't go off. It's true the car in front of me was going much faster, but guess that won't get me anywhere. Guess I can just hope for the best!

Thx

·
Premium Member
16,779 Posts
In louisiana a speeding ticket under 30 over cost about 135bucks. However, if you take defensive driving, they waive 25 dollars off the cost of the ticket, and the DD class cost 25 bucks. So, you are basically paying for the class either way, only if you go it doesn't go on your record.

(by the way, the people that go to this class, not the sharpest knives in the drawer. As in couldn't answer the most basic of questions the "teacher" was asking about how to drive a vehicle. This class made me very nervous to be driving on the same roads as these people)

·
Registered
458 Posts
I had a friend that got a speeding ticket here in the Springs, and really couldn't afford another speeding ticket. He hired an attorney to represent him, and was able to get the ticket reduced to obstructed view or something like that (he had a cracked windshield on his Jeep). I don't know how that all worked out, but well for him in that situation. I also don't know how much that cost him, but for some reason $600 sticks out in my mind.

I also had a similar situation where was pulled over on the AF Academy. I make it a point to really watch my speed on any base I have ever been to since Security Forces would probably stop you for 1 over. Right before I got pulled over, I remember seeing a car haulin' ass up behind me and passing me in the other lane. I work with a former SP and he told me that it is very possible that I was stopped instead of the other car because the SP wasn't paying close attention. I don't know how accurate that statement is, but that is what I was told. Of course tickets on base are cheap compared to the civilian side, and they don't go on your record or count against points on your civilian driving record, so instead of fighting it out in the federal magistrate court, I just paid it. I did find out after the fact from a SP that was stationed at the Academy at the time (he was over for a Thanksgiving party we were having) that almost all the traffic citations that they issue are dismissed if they are contested. I hate the whole "day late and dollar short" thing.

·
Premium Member
2,303 Posts
Your best bet is to go to court and plead guilt and have the fine reduced.
Sorry, I'm a retired cop, as well as an attorney, and I disagree with this statement.

Kep: If there's no traffic school available, I'd fight any ticket based on radar, especially if they clocked you at 20 mph over the posted limit. The cost may be substantial (up to $1k) if you hire an attorney to defend you, but many radar tickets are dismissed based on calibration and training technicalities, as well as the possibility (as 5150 mentioned) that the issuing officer just doesn't show up in court. There are many self-help guides online that can walk you through how to fight a radar ticket. Just Google "radar" and "ticket" and you'll find all that you need to know.

A ticket will stay on your public record for a long time (3 years in CA) and may cost you alot more in insurance fees, so do what you can to fight it. Good luck! :)

·
Premium Member
2,477 Posts
Rll the dice and take it to court with the off chance that the judge is a member of this Forum and the ticketing cop has an H-3.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Rll the dice and take it to court with the off chance that the judge is a member of this Forum and the ticketing cop has an H-3.
Hah, too funny. On the ticket it only states it's a Toyota. He didn't write down the model cause he didn't know what it was ;-)

·
Registered
452 Posts
Sorry to hear about you getting caught...most of us do it and the way I justify myself getting caught is my "good" road carma has run out and it's time to start building up some more by changing my driving habits and following the rules for awhile...

As 5150cruiser said, it's worth taking it to court if you can't take traffic school or another type of service to prevent this from going on your record. You have a better chance of getting it reduced by taking it to court and a very small chance that the officer will not show up. You can do this without the expense of a lawyer if you have the time...it's a two day process...first you have to attend the arainment and plead not guilty, then get the court date that you will present your case...at least 3weeks before your case date, request an extension (your allowed 1 extension) and try and get the furthest date possible (by prolonging the court date there are a couple reasons your chances have increase to beat the ticket)...when you appear on your extended court date you will know if the officer is present or if it's dismissed (sometimes, pending on the courts system)...if you have to present your case, the officer will testify first and LISTEN to his testimony and reiterate some of his words in yours wothout admition of guilt and make sure he presents the court of a dated calibration form of the radar devise that was used...present your case using the universal law of "the legal speed limit is what and how conditions determines it safe", explain that if you where doing 70mph you would be more of a hazard to upcoming traffic coming up on your tail...hopefully you get an understanding judge and if he finds you guilty, he will hopefully reduce the fine.

It's a lot of work, but to me it's helped me and worth not having it on my record.

NO...I'm not a lawyer...I've just gone through this several times and my winning percentage is good.

GOOD LUCK!

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Sorry, I'm a retired cop, as well as an attorney, and I disagree with this statement.

Kep: If there's no traffic school available, I'd fight any ticket based on radar, especially if they clocked you at 20 mph over the posted limit. The cost may be substantial (up to $1k) if you hire an attorney to defend you, but many radar tickets are dismissed based on calibration and training technicalities, as well as the possibility (as 5150 mentioned) that the issuing officer just doesn't show up in court. There are many self-help guides online that can walk you through how to fight a radar ticket. Just Google "radar" and "ticket" and you'll find all that you need to know.

A ticket will stay on your public record for a long time (3 years in CA) and may cost you alot more in insurance fees, so do what you can to fight it. Good luck! :)
Will do, guess I can only hope for the best and show up at court with evidence to refute it.

·
Premium Member
3,571 Posts
Also, dont ever plead guilty, plead no contest at most.

·
Premium Member
2,303 Posts
Also, dont ever plead guilty, plead no contest at most.
Pleading "no contest" is essentially the same as pleading "guilty."

It just means that you don't admit guilt but that you also don't contest the facts presented by the prosecution. In other words, if the cop said you did it, you're toast unless you present facts which contradict his/her testimony. So, if you're going to plead anything, plead "not guilty" and let the state prove it's case at trial.

·
Registered
876 Posts

Not to jump on you, statements such as "my detector never went off" and I was "following the flow of traffic" don't really help your argument in the least bit.
Try contacting the DA and see if you can get the fine and points reduced if you pay early (would really help if this is your first in awhile) you may get out of going to court all together. Don't mention the detector for obvious reasons, they are devices used to allow people to speed without getting caught. As far as the flow of traffic, they are going to say you were responsible for making sure you were going the correct speed, not everyone else.

You know you were speeding, but can't recall how fast, all you know is the car in front of you was going much faster, you could have been doing 82 and he was doing 90. Trust me, I have been there too, they usually don't go after the one going faster, they'll go after the one that's easier to get to.

I say pay it if you can get it reduced through the DA, if not then go to court and good luck.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Not to jump on you, statements such as "my detector never went off" and I was "following the flow of traffic" don't really help your argument in the least bit.
Try contacting the DA and see if you can get the fine and points reduced if you pay early (would really help if this is your first in awhile) you may get out of going to court all together. Don't mention the detector for obvious reasons, they are devices used to allow people to speed without getting caught. As far as the flow of traffic, they are going to say you were responsible for making sure you were going the correct speed, not everyone else.

You know you were speeding, but can't recall how fast, all you know is the car in front of you was going much faster, you could have been doing 82 and he was doing 90. Trust me, I have been there too, they usually don't go after the one going faster, they'll go after the one that's easier to get to.

I say pay it if you can get it reduced through the DA, if not then go to court and good luck.
Very true. Basically what happened was there were two semis in the right lane going very slow compared to the flow of traffic and it was going to be unsafe for me to slam on my brakes so I merged into the left lane to get around them. The traffic behind me was coming fast as well. Once I got in front of the semis I moved over to the right lane again only to see the maroon Buick that was in front of me be even farther away.

Guess I will call the DA and see if they can work anything out. Ticket states mandatory court, so not sure it can be resolved outside of court....

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
The best advice I can give is...."Don't Speed." I'm sorry you got cited. That has gotta be a hit to the mod budget.
If you don't go 10MPH above the speed limit here in CO on I-70 you basically get run off the road, so it's kind of a catch 22 =(. It's still my problem that I have to deal with and don't blame law enforcement for the infraction. They are just doing their job. Just hope it's reduced without an insane fine...

·
Registered
61 Posts
Just get a lawyer -- seriously.

Find a traffic law firm, call them up.
Mail them the ticket + the lawyer fee (usually < $100)

Wait.

The lawyer will send you a letter with the "actual" fine to be paid, mail a check to the municipality that cited you.

Over and done.

The lawyer takes care of everything, you don't go to court (99.9999% of the time), and the ticket is pleaded down to a non-moving violation (no points on the license, no insurance increase).

This REALLY is better for everyone. You don't get the points/insurance penalty and the municipality gets MUCH MORE revenue than they would if you simply pleaded guilty and paid the fine.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.