Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 20 of 138 Posts

·
Registered
3,087 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Update: Newest pictures on post 123
7" round HID lighting for the bumper begins on post 103

I might as well throw some pictures up to document the mess I've gotten myself into...

I've had an ARB front on my truck for awhile now and never cared for it, but it was better than stock. I got it for a good deal, so I couldn't complain. I looked at a lot of other bumpers, but really didn't find what I was looking for, especially when combined with my body lift. Enter my imagination and the fact that I work with AutoCAD on a daily basis. I took the ARB off, measured the main truck components/mounts/etc and put it in AutoCAD. So far so good. Now comes the design process...

I looked at pictures of every aftermarket bumper I could find for the FJ. I wanted a bumper that stayed as close to the truck as possible while maximizing my approach angle. That's easy and I would've just gone with the Toyoutfitter bumper if I didn't want an integrated winch. More browsing on winch mounting and frame mounting ensued. I decided to go with a winch where I could mount the solenoid under the hood to minimize space in the bumper. Another key factor for me is lighting. I wanted to make sure I could have an 18"-22" LED bar in addition to some HID lighting integrated in to the bumper while not losing too much airflow to the radiator.

I've really liked the tube bumpers, but the plate bumpers have been growing on me, so I decided to go a hybrid route with both tube and plate sections. The bumper will be done in multiple phases:

Phase 1- 3/16" HREW, gusseted for main frame and winch mounts
1.75"x.125" DOM tubing
Phase 2- .125" HREW for main decorative components, light mounts, etc.
More 1.75"x.125" DOM tubing
Phase 3- 1.75"x.125" DOM tubing w/.125" HREW for gussets on side wings (in progress now)
Phase 4- Find a winch. Leaning towards the Engo E10000S from MetalTech

During construction of the bumper, I'm using the stock steel bumper to offer some protection while driving, but still being easy to remove and test fit and measure for parts. No plastic needed since it'd just be in the way.

Pictured: Stock steel bumper serving it's time

Pictured: Phase 1 parts back from laser cutting, laid roughly in place.

Pictured: Test fitting main winch plate to frame mounts. Perfect measurements!

Pictured: Lower frame mounts and front crossmember.

Pictured: Main winch plate and gussets.

Pictured: Main winch plate, lower mounts and crossmember all attached.

Pictured: Phase 1 mounted on truck

I've verified measurements and sent files to the laser cutter for Phase 2. I hope to have those back next week. In the meantime, I'm going to prime and paint some of this to prevent rust.

Here's the general direction I'm heading: (More notes on post 12)

Update! Phase II parts have arrived! It's like a bumper kit with lots of work required.

·
Registered
2,595 Posts
Looking forward to the build! :bigthumb:

·
Premium Member
13,321 Posts
So this is where you spent your money selling 4 Hi-Lifts.:lol:

Looks great! Watching and learning. I see the MIG torch. What are you using?

·
Registered
3,087 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So this is where you spent your money selling 4 Hi-Lifts.:lol:

Looks great! Watching and learning. I see the MIG torch. What are you using?
Millermatic 210, but it's not mine. I'm having a friend do the welding since I haven't welded in 10+ years. Can't beat welding for beer swaps.

Heck, I didn't make any money on the Hi-lifts. I'm certainly not making money on this either, but luckily I'm calling in some favors and not charging myself labor, so the final product shouldn't cost me too much. The lights will probably cost more than the bumper, but that's not that unusual nowadays.

·
Premium Member
1,172 Posts

·
Registered
1,503 Posts
Cool build, I look forward to seeing this. I use UGNX at work (but only for another week after that I will start at my new job and switch to solidworks) but I have AutoCAD and Inventor on my laptop. So far the only part I have had time to design was a spanner wrench from my coil-overs

·
Registered
3,087 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I'll bring some good beers and we'll build mine next. ;)
You bring the 4 sets of Matchboxes, 3Five bulbs and ballasts going in the bumper and we'll be off to a good start.

Below is a rough sketch of where I'm going. I've got 7" round light housings flanking the winch, but I'm about 100% sure I'm going with 4 sets of bi-xenon HIDs in each. Bottom two will be 3000k top two will be 4300k.

LED bar will be something bright, so if anyone has suggestions, I'm all ears. A standard bar from Rigid or Baja won't be bright enough, so I might have to go with a nice Vision X Xmitter Prime 18" bar (almost 15k lumen) I've thought about a few other options like multiple D2 or 10" Specters from Rigid, but I'm not sure yet.

That should put be around 40,000 lumens on the front which should be enough to cook a deer at 100 yards.

I'm still not sure how I'm tying the tubes together at the ends, but I'll figure that out later. I'll probably do a diamond mesh mimicking the front grill between the round lights. The factory tow hooks will work fine and are just visible beneath the bumper as seen in my original pictures. I should have an approach angle close to 55 degrees when done.

·
Registered
3,087 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Cool build, I look forward to seeing this. I use UGNX at work (but only for another week after that I will start at my new job and switch to solidworks) but I have AutoCAD and Inventor on my laptop. So far the only part I have had time to design was a spanner wrench from my coil-overs
We pretty much stick with AutoCAD since it's almost universal in the construction industry around here. Lumber yards, structural engineers, surveyors, cabinet guys, framers, etc all use it, so it's a no-brainer for us. It works well enough for sending files to the laser cutter too, so I can't complain. The crappy thing is that I've drawn the whole bumper in metric, so it messes with my head going between inches and centimeters.

·
Registered
1,503 Posts
We pretty much stick with AutoCAD since it's almost universal in the construction industry around here. Lumber yards, structural engineers, surveyors, cabinet guys, framers, etc all use it, so it's a no-brainer for us. It works well enough for sending files to the laser cutter too, so I can't complain. The crappy thing is that I've drawn the whole bumper in metric, so it messes with my head going between inches and centimeters.
AutoCAD is what I started out with back in high school. I really liked it except for the fact that once they switched the ribbon scheme it was very buggy. In college they taught us UG NX because Siemens provided it for free. I still can't for the life of me figure out why they actually use it in industry, I like Inventor much better and while I don't have much experience with either Solidworks or Pro-Engineer I have heard excellent things. Also as far as the most common program around here is Catia but that is because it is used by most of the major auto manufacturers.

·
Registered
179 Posts
You bring the 4 sets of Matchboxes, 3Five bulbs and ballasts going in the bumper and we'll be off to a good start.
Oh so that's your build!

We don't make squat on those Matchboxes, unfortunately. If it's a Morimoto part I can definitely help out. Why not just a bigger light bar or another one?

·
Registered
3,087 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Oh so that's your build!

We don't make squat on those Matchboxes, unfortunately. If it's a Morimoto part I can definitely help out. Why not just a bigger light bar or another one?
The light bars are for off-road use and put off incredible amounts of light that would blind other drivers, but I use the HID's for street driving to augment my headlights without blinding others. 3000k for inclement weather and 4300k for normal weather. I liked the Minis I had on my previous bumper, but I can't fit them in to my bumper design the way I can the Matchboxes.

·
Premium Member
13,321 Posts
If your looking to cook deer, I'd consider the Scorpion -LED. My two 5" light throw out almost 23500 lumens and the newer models throw 25000 for the set.

·
Registered
3,087 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
If your looking to cook deer, I'd consider the Scorpion -LED. My two 5" light throw out almost 23500 lumens and the newer models throw 25000 for the set.
I'd considered them after reading your initial posts on them, but decided I wanted the round lights as my around town lights that could be used with other drivers. Are those actually 5" at the lens or 5" to the outside of the housing? If it's to the outside, I could probably mount 4 of those bad boys underneath where the LED bar is currently and have me some deer ash clouds to drive through when in the country. :lol:

·
Registered
3,087 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
This is like waiting to open a Christmas present! Can't wait!

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Haha, I don't know, I'm usually excited at X-mas, but I'm a little apprehensive about the next batch of parts being cut and bent correctly, and if my measurements are as accurate as I hope. I was truly ecstatic when the first main piece bolted up to the truck the way it was supposed to. Hopefully everything else fits the way it should!

1 - 20 of 138 Posts